Britton Out 6 months per Rosenthal

Rene88

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

"Win or lose, the player is awarded a standard one-year MLB contract with no "minor league split" salary or incentive/performance bonuses. Also, the contract is not guaranteed, so if the player is released during Spring Training, the club would only owe the player 30 days or 45 days salary as termination pay, depending on when the player is released. (A player on an MLB 40-man roster receives 100% of what remains of his salary if he is released during the regular season)."

This is the Miggy Gonzalez situation.  If Britton is released before opening day, he would be owed 45 days salary. 

Thank you for clearing this up.  Sounds like this is far worse for Zach than it is for the O's.  The O's are arguably better off - tbh.  They save about 10 mil, and it was going to be unlikely that they'd get something significant for him in a midseason trade.  Best of luck to Zach in his recovery.  He's an O's HOFer in my book.  

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Why are these arguments always so skewed to the side of the poor poor (millionaire) players.

The O's paid Britton 10+ million dollars last year to be injured and when not injured ineffective.

Now the ethical thing to do is pay him 12 million to rehab from another injury?

Who is represented the poor family of four who can't afford 4 tickets to attend a game?

This injury should be a bit of good fortune for the O's. I for one didn't believe that Britton would be all that effective in 2018 (already battling chronic knee and shoulder injuries), Now they can release him and recoup some payroll.

If they gave the 12 million back to the fans in free promotions... would that make it the ethical thing to do?

Yup, it's a business, and it would be nonsensical for the O's to treat Zach like a charity case.  Besides, players have the ability to get insurance for these types of things, and Zach might have gotten it, for all we know.  It's a bad break for him, but he should be perfectly fine.  

2 hours ago, oriole said:

Trade Machado to STL for Wacha/Flaherty

sign Cashner

sign Granderson

Trade for Headley or some other stopgap 3B

not saying this a for sure playoff contender but it's not a bad team if there are no major setbacks and Bundy/Gausman get better.

That team is worse than we were last year with Manny.

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Yup, it's a business, and it would be nonsensical for the O's to treat Zach like a charity case.  Besides, players have the ability to get insurance for these types of things, and Zach might have gotten it, for all we know.  It's a bad break for him, but he should be perfectly fine.  

He hasnt made the killing that some has.

Only 22 million before taxes and agent fees.

But, he should be okay.

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Best of luck to Zach in his recovery.  He's an O's HOFer in my book.  

Mmmmm, I don’t know.    He was great for three seasons.   2016 was historic, but is that really enough for the O’s HOF?

Well, Gregg Olson, Tippy Martinez, Eddie Watt, Stu Miller and Dick Hall are all in, so I guess Britton deserves it.

2 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Britton won't be released. 

Why, you got an achilles tendon transplant for him?  

I mean, we saw how long it took for him to come back last year from a lesser injury - I don't think anyone can expect anything out of him for 2018.  

Just now, Frobby said:

Mmmmm, I don’t know.    He was great for three seasons.   2016 was historic, but is that really enough for the O’s HOF?

Well, Gregg Olson, Tippy Martinez, Eddie Watt, Stu Miller and Dick Hall are all in, so I guess Britton deserves it.

Yeah, it's all relative - the O's HOF ain't exactly the Yankees.  

Just now, Ruzious said:

Why, you got an achilles tendon transplant for him?  

I mean, we saw how long it took for him to come back last year from a lesser injury - I don't think anyone can expect anything out of him for 2018.  

Lesser? It was his throwing arm that got hurt. You have to be careful with that. 

Part of this discussion to keep Britton in 2018 or not boils down to what the value of a compensation draft pick is worth.  I imagine the medical doctors might say that Britton's Achilles injury in December still gives him a good chance to be an effective pitcher for the second half of the year.  This means it's likely will still find suitors in the free agent market next off-season, and the Orioles can get a compensation draft pick.  Here's a 2013 fangraph article that says a compensation pick might be worth upwards of $8 million then.

In reality, teams are probably going to place very different values on those compensation picks. There probably is no single number that will apply to all 30 organizations. However, because of the inability to acquire draft allocation money in any other way, I have to think that some teams are going to put a premium on obtaining those selections, perhaps even pushing up to a 3X or 4X valuation, which would translate to $5 to $8 million in big league dollars.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-is-a-compensation-pick-worth/

In 2018, this compensation draft pick valuation has to be higher.  Although this value might not completely offset the estimated $12 million in Britton's estimated arbitration salary for 2106, it might change a GM's thinking a bit on keeping Britton.  You do run the risk of Britton not being effective after injury and accepting a high QO however.  And if he goes back early and is very effective, you can get more in the trade market at the deadline for him.

2 hours ago, HelenaEngineer said:

I think having a reputation for doing the right thing ethically and morally even though there was legal way to get out of that obligation would be a good thing to have. It would be worth a hell of a lot more than $10 million bucks in a one-time savings.

Since when is Scott Boras (Britton's agent) concerned about "doing the right thing ethically and morally"? Cutting Britton is allowed and incentivized under the collective bargaining agreement, case closed. The Orioles should act in their self interest within the constraints of the rules. 

If Britton wanted a guaranteed salary, he could have signed a lowball extension that would have set himself up for life. I am guessing he is set for life anyway with $22M career earnings.

Archived