Must .... Sign .... Bundy

http://newsok.com/sperrys-bundy-drafted-by-orioles/article/3254273/?tm=1212814853?

Oklahoma Gatorade Baseball Player of the Year

http://www.hognation.net/baseball/recruits.html

Lists many accolades. Search blurb says (presumably about Bundy) - reportedly wants third round $ to sign

BA's Number 6 prospect Under 17 as of July 07

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2008/06/06/razorback_central/060708bbcarkdraftees.txt

http://www.perfectgame.org/events/2007/showcases/07_06_15_national_showcase/tplist.aspx

Perfect Game Top HS prospect List that includes Avery and Hoes.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/TWPDFs/2008/Final/W_041608_B_1.pdf

Nice article commenting on how knee injury recovery improved his pitching

Not sure how this is going to go. If the Os are going to offer the third round $ right away or ask for a workout later in the summer. Bundy was an elite prospect all the way until the injury and he's back to throwing 95 per the articles. He doesn't sound as if he will be unreasonable about the signing bonus.

Bundy would be a significant talent to bring into the organization.

http://newsok.com/sperrys-bundy-drafted-by-orioles/article/3254273/?tm=1212814853?

Oklahoma Gatorade Baseball Player of the Year

http://www.hognation.net/baseball/recruits.html

Lists many accolades. Search blurb says (presumably about Bundy) - reportedly wants third round $ to sign

BA's Number 6 prospect Under 17 as of July 07

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2008/06/06/razorback_central/060708bbcarkdraftees.txt

http://www.perfectgame.org/events/2007/showcases/07_06_15_national_showcase/tplist.aspx

Perfect Game Top HS prospect List that includes Avery and Hoes.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/TWPDFs/2008/Final/W_041608_B_1.pdf

Nice article commenting on how knee injury recovery improved his pitching

Not sure how this is going to go. If the Os are going to offer the third round $ right away or ask for a workout later in the summer. Bundy was an elite prospect all the way until the injury and he's back to throwing 95 per the articles. He doesn't sound as if he will be unreasonable about the signing bonus.

Bundy would be a significant talent to bring into the organization.

Bundy was easily among their best picks and would be a coup for Jordan were he to sign.

We really should offer Bundy, Brady, and Landers what they want. In my opinion they would make this draft a total success. I had no clue the Sox were going to take Brady in the 3rd. Im hoping we offer him that type of money. With him being local i think we have a legit shot. We really need all three to sign. We can not let these 3 get away. Check these numbers out on Bundy! The kids a stud! Seems to have a nice stick too.

Had 21 strikeouts in 12 innings pitched in the 2007 Oklahoma Class 3A state semifinal game.

First Team All-Metro in '07 after going 15-2 with a 0.47 ERA.

Played for the DBat 18 U team in the summer of '07.

Played in the 2007 Connie Mack World Series.

Played for the Chicago White Sox team in the 2007 Area Code Games.

Ranked #6 in Baseball America's WWBA Class of 2008 17-U Top 10 Prospects list in June '07.

Attended the Perfect Game National Showcase in 2007.

PG REPORT: Thick power pitcher's build. Easy mechanics, minimal effort, repeats delivery, power arm. FB touches 94 mph, jumps on hitters. SL is best breaking ball, late biting action, CB/Chg are developing. Could be plus/plus velocity pitcher someday. Very good student.

Ranked #30 on Baseball America's Top 100 High School Prospects for 2008 list on 10/22/07 and 2/11/08.

First Team 2008 Louisville Slugger Preseason High School All-American.

Named to the Rawlings Preseason All-American Team (Second Team) and All-West Region in March '08.

Suffered a torn ACL playing basketball, not released to play baseball until April.

Four-year starter in baseball.

Career numbers as of 4/16/08: 42-4 with a 1.25 ERA and a .445 batting average.

Ranked #36 on the Rivals HS Top 100 on 4/30.

2008: 9-1, 0.80 ERA, 10 games, 54 innings, 13 hits, 6 walks, 111 strikeouts. Batted .545 with 42 RBI, 36 runs and 10 homeruns.

3-3 with a homerun and four RBI to go with eight strikeouts and one hit allowed on the mound on 4/12. 4-0 on the mound as of 4/16. Took a loss on 4/22 to fall to 5-1 (gave up 11 hits in 5 innings). Hit a grand slam (10th HR) and teamed with his younger brother to throw a no-hitter (5 innings, 12 K's) on 5/1. Threw 5 scoreless innings (2 hits, 9 K's) for the win on 5/9.

Won the 3A State Championship on 5/12. Was 3-3 with one double, three runs and three RBI at the plate and got the win on the mound with a complete game (7.0, 4 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, 8 K's).

#96 on Baseball America's Top 100 Draft Prospects List on 5/21.

Could also hit at Arkansas.

Named the 2007-08 Gatorade Oklahoma Baseball Player of the Year.

Ranked #2 on Baseball America's list of Top Draft Prospects from Oklahoma.

If it makes you feel any better, Joe Jordan agrees with you. He feels confident it will get done by Mid-July.

That's great news, Tony, thanks for sharing.

I'm on board with the early picks. I think there is solid to huge upside to Avery and Hoes, but Bundy would really elevate our haul from this draft in a dramatic fashion. Bundy might be the most highly regarded HS pitching talent taken by JJ - ahead of Britton and Erbe, IMO.

As I've posted multiple times, signing Bundy for third round $ would be a significant investment by our FO above slot - perhaps more above slot than any drafted prospect outside the fifth round in recent draft memory.

I'm on board with the early picks. I think there is solid to huge upside to Avery and Hoes, but Bundy would really elevate our haul from this draft in a dramatic fashion. Bundy might be the most highly regarded HS pitching talent taken by JJ - ahead of Britton and Erbe, IMO.

I'm not as familiar with Britton, but Erbe was ranked as the No. 1 RHP HS prospect in the country by Rivals his senior year at McDonogh. His numbers weren't as impressive in HS because the team around him was awful. I'm pretty sure he had a sub-1 ERA with an under-.500 record.

Nonetheless, I fully agree on this kid. Question for Tony. Since we like to speculate and some are saying Matusz and Tillman are pitching prospect 1 and 1A with Arrieta followed by Spoone/Hernandez. Where would Bundy fall in this list? Also, is he definitely a pitcher for us? Or is there the possibility he plays a corner outfield with his apparent power numbers in HS.

I'm not as familiar with Britton, but Erbe was ranked as the No. 1 RHP HS prospect in the country by Rivals his senior year at McDonogh. His numbers weren't as impressive in HS because the team around him was awful. I'm pretty sure he had a sub-1 ERA with an under-.500 record.

Nonetheless, I fully agree on this kid. Question for Tony. Since we like to speculate and some are saying Matusz and Tillman are pitching prospect 1 and 1A with Arrieta followed by Spoone/Hernandez. Where would Bundy fall in this list? Also, is he definitely a pitcher for us? Or is there the possibility he plays a corner outfield with his apparent power numbers in HS.

Yes, Erbe was a very good prospect and the top rated pitching (and possibly overall) prospect in some showcase events prior to his senior year. I do not believe he was considered a first rounder entering the draft. I think a healthy Bundy could have been a late first, supplemental first or second round pick. He was considered a top 10-15 HS prospect prior to his senior year. It's a slight edge over Erbe, IMO.

Britton was more of a late riser as his FB jumped into the low 90s in his senior year. He was considered a top 75 prospect or so entering the draft.

It's pure speculation on my part, but I believe Bundy could have been a top 40 prospect entering the draft if he had not been injured.

Both Erbe and Britton have played better than their draft positions, IMO, as pros and Bundy would probably be ranked near them if he signed. As I've tried to clarify, this is obviously my uninformed opinion.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would bump this thread since Bundy's signing seems imminent and remind everyone just how good a talent Bundy was considered before the injury.

IMO, signing Bundy is like adding a supplemental first/early second round talent to the organization and represents the type of commitment to building the team through the draft by extra spending that many of us have been advocating for some time.

IMO, Brady is a relatively similar talent. These two HS pitchers would strongly re-set the pitching talent at the bottom rungs of the organization.

Thought I would bump this thread since Bundy's signing seems imminent and remind everyone just how good a talent Bundy was considered before the injury.

IMO, signing Bundy is like adding a supplemental first/early second round talent to the organization and represents the type of commitment to building the team through the draft by extra spending that many of us have been advocating for some time.

IMO, Brady is a relatively similar talent. These two HS pitchers would strongly re-set the pitching talent at the bottom rungs of the organization.

Great post.

Archived