June 15: Pirates at Orioles

PaulFolk

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cabrera needs to mix up his pitches a little. When you know old #1 is coming 90% of the time it's not that hard to hit it. What happened to his slider, and didn't he have a change up earlier in the year?

I don't think that's it. I think his FB isn't doing what it did before. It's like last-year's FB. It's flat and they're hitting it.

I think he's trying to do something, instead of just doing what he does best.

Daniel only knows one thing - throw it hard. Sure, he has other pitches, but he lacks confidence in them. He needs to be forced to throw him. Right now, he is pitching like a lot of high schoolers I have seen - throw it hard and hope they miss.

All very true but he needs to look back and see that he is more successful when he mixes it up. He should have realized by now that the old chuck and duck routine isn't working out.

I don't think that's it. I think his FB isn't doing what it did before. It's like last-year's FB. It's flat and they're hitting it.

I think he's trying to do something, instead of just doing what he does best.

Yes but you have to agree that he is throwing nothing but fastballs? The hitters need to be kept off balance just a bit I think. Like I said earlier they know what's coming and are teeing off.

But I do agree with you about his fastball. It doesn't have the movement it used to have.

Actually I went back and looked, he threw all FBs in the first and every inning after he has thrown at least one secondary pitch to almost every batter. Not all but almost all. He even threw a couple of first pitch sliders (for strikes too).

That was some smart pitching by Maholm to get Salazar. He did what we've been complaining D-Cab can't: mix the breaking stuff in with fastballs so that the batter doesn't know what's coming.

On another topic, don't you think Bynum's looked good at short today?

Archived