Rowell's demeanor tonight

Anlbdz

I'd like to like to start by saying this was the first time I have seen Rowell in person. I have followed him via OH, and have heard many things about him. That being said, I know he is young, I know he is talented and will have his rough spots. Also, I am aware this is a very small sample size.

but.....

When I saw him today, I really felt i saw a very cocky player. Something in the way this kid walks and carries himself really bothered me. Just the way he walked to the batters box and carried his bat, I don't know, just seemed like the kid who is playing in high school and thinks he's the $#@%.

On a questionable high 3rd strike call on him in extra innings, he stood there in the box for about 5 seconds, like he deserved a call, then turned, cursed and sulked back like a little kid. He was promptly thrown out of the ballgame (deservedly so in my opinion). then took his time leaving the dugout.

all that being said, I know he's young, and i've heard he's got a bit of cockiness in him, which is fine, if held in check.

I was just somewhat disappointed in what I saw in one of our top prospects. It would be different if I saw other players acting this way, but I couldn't find a single player on either team who seemed to carry themselves as if they walked on clouds.

just wanted to make an observation and I hope this was an abberation....

that being said...seeing weiters for the first time.....the man is huge and does pretty much everything effortlessly, very impressed.

take with this what you will, but i was somewhat disappointed in my first viewing of Mr. Rowell.

thoughts?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There can only be one Reggie Jackson , Jim Palmer , Ricky Henderson , et al ?!?!?

MLB players LOOOOVE to make fun of those types of players. If he can hit , he STILL won't have many friends at that level.

Someone will straighten his holier than thou attitude. It won't take long to be cornered into submission in the big leagues.

Can't wait to see Weiters late this year or next spring ,class act that he is of course.

This is Rowell's MO and it's the reason he won't make it to the majors. The kid's attitude isn't helping him. Why anybody sees this guy making it to the big show is beyond me...

Rowell's attitude is blown way out of proportion, IMO.

Is he supremely confident, yes, possibly cocky, but I think this helps you on the field. The fact that he's never intimidated, and feels he belongs out there, will only help him as he progresses through the minors.

So when he finally makes it to the majors, he won't be playing scared like most of our prospects.

This is Rowell's MO and it's the reason he won't make it to the majors. The kid's attitude isn't helping him. Why anybody sees this guy making it to the big show is beyond me...
I totally agree. I definitely think that being confidant in yourself is a detriment to every player. I also feel that perceived attitude issues are the biggest factor for a young player. No player with a perceived bad attitude has ever made the big leagues, and even though Rowell is a great talent, doing well for his age/level, and has the support of all the coaches and scouts in the organization he will not be considered for a promotion simply because of his cockiness. He'd have a better shot at making the bigs if he had an arm amputated but was humble. Because we all know humility, not hitting ability, is the ticket to the big leagues.

:rolleyestf:

Boy I wish I had privileges to that crystal ball of yours! :rolleyes:

You can look at the guy's past performance, stats, and more importantly the scouting reports on him to know why he's expected to make it to the big show.

There are, however, several things he needs to change/accomplish before his path becomes more clear. I don't think anyone is a sure thing, but I KNOW that players with much worse attitudes have made it to the Major Leagues.

Makes me once again wonder how Oriole scouts and their director can be such morons as to not look at every aspect of a player including attitude and personality traits before investing a high round draft pick including giving them a personality or psychological test, like they do in the NFL.:confused: Moronic, absolutely incredibly stupid not to peform due dilligence before drafting someone that should become an important part of the club's future nucleus. :(

What's really moronic is assuming you know things about people you haven't me0 or seen at extended length.

I don't doubt that the OP had those impressions of Rowell, but for JTrea and OldFan to assume that those impressions were accurate (which the OP doesn't even assume) and would limit his progression is shear insanity.

How many times have either of you two scouting geniuses even seen Rowell play, yet alone witness his "cocky" attitude. And what expertise do you have to know when confidence becomes cockiness and if that is even a detriment to a young player.

Stick to things you know well.

Wait a minute...You mean to tell me that a teenager, who has been handed a few million dollars, is fulfilling a childhood(which he is almost still in btw)dream and holding his own to boot and he is cocky?

Wow, who would have thunk that.

He is still a human being and at age 19, everyone is immature/cocky/arrogant or whatever and that is just some joe schmoe who is the cart guy at the supermarket.

What's really moronic is assuming you know things about people you haven't me0 or seen at extended length.

I don't doubt that the OP had those impressions of Rowell, but for JTrea and OldFan to assume that those impressions were accurate (which the OP doesn't even assume) and would limit his progression is shear insanity.

How many times have either of you two scouting geniuses even seen Rowell play, yet alone witness his "cocky" attitude. And what expertise do you have to know when confidence becomes cockiness and if that is even a detriment to a young player.

Stick to things you know well.

Well unless you consider the initial very descriptive first post on this thread to be total malarky and were there to prove so, I don't see how anyone with an ounce of living experience beyond a teenager would fail to see that the type of behavior described in great detail is terribly immature, brash, arrogant, and at a minimum very counter-productive beyond dispute. I have enough life experience and have seen thousands of brash, cocky, arrogant, petulant, pedantic and problematic personalities in young men to know that behavior as described is detrimental.:eektf: I spent 20 years working in the Maryland Division of Corrections.

The kind of attitude described here is a detriment period. Know it all, know nothings is what I call youngsters who act like this. Just because you choose to act like an ostrich and ignore such behavior issues doesn't mean it isn't problematic. Maybe you should follow your own incorrect advice you tried to give me in sticking to something you might know a minimum about! :rolleyestf:

Wait a minute...You mean to tell me that a teenager, who has been handed a few million dollars, is fulfilling a childhood(which he is almost still in btw)dream and holding his own to boot and he is cocky?

Wow, who would have thunk that.

He is still a human being and at age 19, everyone is immature/cocky/arrogant or whatever and that is just some joe schmoe who is the cart guy at the supermarket.

LOL. Took the words right out of my mouth.

What's wrong with a little cockiness anyway?

Archived