Rowell's demeanor tonight

Anlbdz

I'd like to like to start by saying this was the first time I have seen Rowell in person. I have followed him via OH, and have heard many things about him. That being said, I know he is young, I know he is talented and will have his rough spots. Also, I am aware this is a very small sample size.

but.....

When I saw him today, I really felt i saw a very cocky player. Something in the way this kid walks and carries himself really bothered me. Just the way he walked to the batters box and carried his bat, I don't know, just seemed like the kid who is playing in high school and thinks he's the $#@%.

On a questionable high 3rd strike call on him in extra innings, he stood there in the box for about 5 seconds, like he deserved a call, then turned, cursed and sulked back like a little kid. He was promptly thrown out of the ballgame (deservedly so in my opinion). then took his time leaving the dugout.

all that being said, I know he's young, and i've heard he's got a bit of cockiness in him, which is fine, if held in check.

I was just somewhat disappointed in what I saw in one of our top prospects. It would be different if I saw other players acting this way, but I couldn't find a single player on either team who seemed to carry themselves as if they walked on clouds.

just wanted to make an observation and I hope this was an abberation....

that being said...seeing weiters for the first time.....the man is huge and does pretty much everything effortlessly, very impressed.

take with this what you will, but i was somewhat disappointed in my first viewing of Mr. Rowell.

thoughts?

He may be cocky, but from all reports, he's a very hard worker and wants to put in the effort to improve.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He may be cocky, but from all reports, he's a very hard worker and wants to put in the effort to improve.

Cockiness in and of itself is fine if he can back it up. So far, it would seem he has nothing to be cocky about, which is annoying at a minumum, and a severe detriment to his development in a worst case scenario.

Makes me once again wonder how Oriole scouts and their director can be such morons as to not look at every aspect of a player including attitude and personality traits before investing a high round draft pick including giving them a personality or psychological test, like they do in the NFL.:confused: Moronic, absolutely incredibly stupid not to peform due dilligence before drafting someone that should become an important part of the club's future nucleus. :(

What in God's name are you talking about? This might be the most ludicrous statement you've made on here and that's saying something.

Do you really think cocky is something that turns off scouts? You really think this being confident in his abilities is something scouts don't want?

The Orioles put a huge emphasis on the entire package when it comes to drafting players, especially high profile guys like Rowell.

I normally let these things slide, but this is so stupid I've got to take rep points for this kind of ignorant post.

What in God's name are you talking about? This might be the most ludicrous statement you've made on here and that's saying something.

Do you really think cocky is something that turns off scouts? You really think this being confident in his abilities is something scouts don't want?

The Orioles put a huge emphasis on the entire package when it comes to drafting players, especially high profile guys like Rowell.

I normally let these things slide, but this is so stupid I've got to take rep points for this kind of ignorant post.

Of course I wasn't referring merely to being "cocky." What I was referring to is how he acted with the umpire and got thrown out of the game. He hasn't been around long enough to act that way in my estimation. Sounds more like a primma donna not living up to his hype and blaming others for it as in this case the umpire. I am talking about being cocky when you have no reason for it. What is so "stupid" about that? From my experience there is nothing more obnoxious than someone who is arrogant but who doesn't produce.

Well unless you consider the initial very descriptive first post on this thread to be total malarky and were there to prove so, I don't see how anyone with an ounce of living experience beyond a teenager would fail to see that the type of behavior described in great detail is terribly immature, brash, arrogant, and at a minimum very counter-productive beyond dispute. I have enough life experience and have seen thousands of brash, cocky, arrogant, petulant, pedantic and problematic personalities in young men to know that behavior as described is detrimental.:eektf: I spent 20 years working in the Maryland Division of Corrections.

The kind of attitude described here is a detriment period. Know it all, know nothings is what I call youngsters who act like this. Just because you choose to act like an ostrich and ignore such behavior issues doesn't mean it isn't problematic. Maybe you should follow your own incorrect advice you tried to give me in sticking to something you might know a minimum about! :rolleyestf:

Holy crap, I didn't think you could top the absurdity of your last post but thankfully I kept reading because obviously you have.

Did you just compare young men who were incarcerated as the same as a cocky, young ball player based off a post from a guy who even admits they are just his observance from one game? Did you actually say that Rowell's attitude is a detriment and that anyone who doesn't see that is an ostrich?

I've allowed you to continue posting here despite the fact that most people want you gone, and you pretty much showed me that I was wrong and they were right.

This kind of idiotic attitude is the reason why people don't take you seriously. All I can say is WOW! :rolleyes:

Of course I wasn't referring merely to being "cocky." What I was referring to is how he acted with the umpire and got thrown out of the game. He hasn't been around long enough to act that way in my estimation. Sounds more like a primma donna not living up to his hype and blaming others for it as in this case the umpire. I am talking about being cocky when you have no reason for it. What is so "stupid" about that? From my experience there is nothing more obnoxious than someone who is arrogant but who doesn't produce.

Did you see the call? Maybe it was horrible. Maybe he's a young kid who wanted to gather his emotions together before he exploded? Maybe he didn't do a great job?

I've been thrown out of baseball games that were far less important after getting called out on strike call that was clearly blown.

He's 19 freakin' years old.

I'm done with all of this because basically, this is a waste of my time because clearly you know all and are clearly superior to anyone on this board in your sound judgment and ability to rationally discuss your opinions.

Holy crap, I didn't think you could top the absurdity of your last post but thankfully I kept reading because obviously you have.

Did you just compare young men who were incarcerated as the same as a cocky, young ball player based off a post from a guy who even admits they are just his observance from one game? Did you actually say that Rowell's attitude is a detriment and that anyone who doesn't see that is an ostrich?

I've allowed you to continue posting here despite the fact that most people want you gone, and you pretty much showed me that I was wrong and they were right.

I'm done with all of this because basically, this is a waste of my time because clearly you know all and are clearly superior to anyone on this board in your sound judgment and ability to rationally discuss your opinions.

I am sorry you think this because I truly do not belive this in any manner, shape or form.

No, I just used the example of a prison being full of young men with that kind of explosive attitude and that is can be a detriment. I am not proclaiming Rowell to be a criminal for God's sake! I was just illustrating how an attitude problem can be detrimental. Why do some people always take me to the umpteenth degree when I was just trying to illustrate that a poor attitude is often very detrimental and sounds like it could be with Rowell based on this very descriptive example given!:confused:

This kind of idiotic attitude is the reason why people don't take you seriously. All I can say is WOW! :rolleyes:

Again, I think how a player conducts himself is important. Just as much as his playing ability. I seriously doubt young Cal Ripken ever acted like this and Rowell likely won't ever sniff the ability of Cal. Even if this was an isolated or singular incident, word gets around and I think this is a concern this kid doesn't need as it could easily be avoided in the first place.

Even if you make it to the bigs, you'll never last if you are like Rowell.

We shipped out some other guy for being immature and cocky - Curt Schilling. And he only won like five more games after that...

Actually it was 215 more wins, but your point is well taken. I'd much rather watch humble players lose than cocky players win.

Actually it was 215 more wins, but your point is well taken. I'd much rather watch humble players lose than cocky players win.

Hey, I don't have any problem whatsover with cocky players who back it up! The key is to back it up! Josh Beckett is as cocky as can be but he walks the walk with it. Cockiness is fine but is becomes a big detriment or hinderance when the cocky player doesn't back it up. Matt Riley is another such player who comes to mind. He had nothing to be cocky about in comparison to actual ML pitchers who have success. Ty Cobb on the other hand was as cocky an SOB you would ever want to meet (so they say) but he was Ty Cobb, not Ryan Minor! Huge difference in how the cockiness is perceived.

I'd like to like to start by saying this was the first time I have seen Rowell in person. I have followed him via OH, and have heard many things about him. That being said, I know he is young, I know he is talented and will have his rough spots. Also, I am aware this is a very small sample size.

but.....

Just wanted to say that while this thread has taken a negative turn amid some ridiculous stances held by other posters, that your report was appreciated here.

I especially liked the part where you didn't over-analyze what you saw or imply that he is always like that or even that a definitive judgement about a players attitude/character should be made from one observation. The ability to realize that first impressions are not always accurate is an ability that some other posters in this thread clearly lack. Its a piece of information to be considered, but far from the entire story on Rowell. Well done.

Wait a minute...You mean to tell me that a teenager, who has been handed a few million dollars, is fulfilling a childhood(which he is almost still in btw)dream and holding his own to boot and he is cocky?

Wow, who would have thunk that.

He is still a human being and at age 19, everyone is immature/cocky/arrogant or whatever and that is just some joe schmoe who is the cart guy at the supermarket.

This needed to be on page 2 so everyone would see it again....

This needed to be on page 2 so everyone would see it again....

Not "everyone" is arrogant, and cocky at age 19. I never heard anything to ever indicate Cal Ripken Jr. acted that way. A young player can be confident without being arrogant. Adam Jones also comes across as confident but completely without arrogance or cockiness. Garrett Olson also comes across as confident but very down to earth and likeable.

Archived