Rowell's demeanor tonight

Anlbdz

Great post, Bryan.

Only think I'd change is that I do care about attitude. I'd much rather every player have the attitude and approach that guys like Adam Jones and Luke Scott seem to have. Those guys are just enjoyable to root for. But, it doesn't make any difference as to their chances of making it or their raw abilities.

So if I can choose, I'd rather the guy have a great attitude, they're just more fun to root for that way. But in terms of it having an impact on their prospect status or on-field performance, I agree that work ethic is a much better indicator.

I just don't find much of any kind of a valid reason for anyone drafted highly and having received such a large sum of money to sign at such a young age to be displaying any kind of an attitude. So to me, it is not okay.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry but you are showing your true colors.

Bottom line is if you like a player, you ignore the faults...if you dislike a player, you have an issue with the same things you ignore for the other guys.

You are basically a hypocrit(sp?) when it comes to this stuff...You are totally inconsistent on all of this stuff.

But then again, you are the one who said Scott would hit 14 homers despite what previous stats told you and you never actually watching him play. So, you haven't seen anything from Rowell yourself and have no idea what really happened or anything like that yet you are willing to make a snap judgement on him despite hearing, IN THIS THREAD, that he has a very good work ethic and is well liked by his teammates.

BTW, i guess you hated Mussina and Bedard.

If you read my posts on this thread instead of making what seems at times to be your usual negative slanted snap judgment of me you will find that I clarified my position on this as being based on a very detailed and descriptive post which I accepted by the thread originator as being true. Of course, if you think the thread originator's post is a bunch of malarky than of course you would probably assume your position. However, if you read the author's first post, I don't see how you can just summarily dismiss this well written thread? What basis do you have to do so? I see no reason for anyone to make something like this up and Rowell would certainly not be the first primma donna young player with an attitude. Maybe he is buddies with Hayden Penn! (Just kidding, don't go postal on me!):P;) As far as his work ethic, he should have a good one. Anyone who is getting paid large sums of money should be expected to produce what they are being paid the large sum of money to do, which usually requires one to work their hardest. Despite this, there have been at least one questionable thing reported in that area as well.

As far as Mussina and Bedard. I liked Mussina as an Oriole but when pulled his Benedict Arnold act and jumped ship to the Evil Empire, I could no longer stand the guy. He got what he deserved from the deal. Money and nothing else. (No WS ring, no Cy Young, no 20 game season, no- no hitter). I hope he comes up one vote short of the HOF until perpetituity. It would serve him right as he is "Mr. Almost."

As far as Bedard, I never had a problem with him but do think he was a tad overated.

If you read by posts on this thread instead of making what seems at times to be your usual negative slanted snap judgment of me you will find that I clarified my position on this as being based on a very detailed and descriptive post which I accepted by the thread originator as being true. Of course, if you think the thread originator's post is a bunch of malarky than of course you would probably assume your position. However, if you read the very descriptive thread I don't see how you can just summarily dismiss this well written thread? What basis do you have to do so? I see no reason for anyone to make something like this up and Rowell would certainly not be the first primma donna young player with an attitude. Maybe he is buddies with Hayden Penn! (Just kidding, don't go postal on me!):P;)

As far as Mussina and Bedard. I liked Mussina as an Oriole but when pulled his Benedict Arnold act and jumped ship to the Evil Empire, I could no longer stand the guy. He got what he deserved from the deal. Money and nothing else. (No WS ring, no Cy Young, no 20 game season, no- no hitter). I hope he comes up one vote short of the HOF until perpetituity. It would serve him right as he is "Mr. Almost."

As far as Bedard, I never had a problem with him but do think he was a tad overated.

What's hilarious is that Mussina was a bigger jerk than anyone I've ever had the displeasure of meeting that put on an Orioles uniform. He was more of a jerk to me than Albert Belle was. Chris Hoiles even thought Mussina was a jerk. And Mussina had that rep all the way back to his college days.

But you didn't have a problem with Mussina. You have a problem with Rowell? Nah, you're not nitpicking Rowell. Not at all. :rolleyes:

Why does it bother you if he's a cocky 19-year old? Is it some problem you have with "whippersnappers" being arrogant and not respecting their elders? The man's 19-years old, playing in a level above his years, and holding his own at that level. He's earned the right to be cocky. His current coaches and teammates don't seem to have a problem with him.

And even if they did, as long as he produces, who cares? Rowell could be as cuddly as Barry Bonds, and as long as he put up numbers, who the hell cares? If he's helping my team win, that's all I'm really concerned with. I don't have to like the guy off of the field.

Him being cocky has absolutely zero to do with his ability to progress to the major leagues. Zero. If that prevented players from making the show, then a lot of fantastic talents would be left by the wayside. We know that this isn't the case. It's obvious that this isn't the case. What's so hard to grasp about this? You're absolutely right... Rowell wouldn't be the first cocky primma donna young player. My question to you is, what's the big deal if he is? By all accounts he works his tail off. He tries hard to be a better baseball player. Shouldn't that be all that matters, since it... you know, directly influences his ability on the field?

Tell me why are you so sure Rowell will make it to the majors. What has he shown in the past two seasons that shows he's got the talent alone to make it? He's shown power, but that's about it. He strikes out too much, doesn't walk enough, and can't hit LHP. This year his power #'s have been down as well.

You are going to have to show me the post I made that guaranteed Rowell would be in the majors.

What's hilarious is that Mussina was a bigger jerk than anyone I've ever had the displeasure of meeting that put on an Orioles uniform. He was more of a jerk to me than Albert Belle was. Chris Hoiles even thought Mussina was a jerk. And Mussina had that rep all the way back to his college days.

But you didn't have a problem with Mussina. You have a problem with Rowell? Nah, you're not nitpicking Rowell. Not at all. :rolleyes:

Why does it bother you if he's a cocky 19-year old? Is it some problem you have with "whippersnappers" being arrogant and not respecting their elders? The man's 19-years old, playing in a level above his years, and holding his own at that level. He's earned the right to be cocky. His current coaches and teammates don't seem to have a problem with him.

And even if they did, as long as he produces, who cares? Rowell could be as cuddly as Barry Bonds, and as long as he put up numbers, who the hell cares? If he's helping my team win, that's all I'm really concerned with. I don't have to like the guy off of the field.

Him being cocky has absolutely zero to do with his ability to progress to the major leagues. Zero. If that prevented players from making the show, then a lot of fantastic talents would be left by the wayside. We know that this isn't the case. It's obvious that this isn't the case. What's so hard to grasp about this? You're absolutely right... Rowell wouldn't be the first cocky primma donna young player. My question to you is, what's the big deal if he is? By all accounts he works his tail off. He tries hard to be a better baseball player. Shouldn't that be all that matters, since it... you know, directly influences his ability on the field?

Maybe it should be all that matters but the reality is if he gets a perception of being a jerk and throwing tantrums with umpires and getting tossed at age 19 this negative reputation could follow him through the system. Meaning, he won't get close calls as many times umps stick together and will go out of their way to not give a borderline call to a cocky hot headed, prima donna. Doesn't this just sort of uh,, maybe make a little bit of common sense?:scratchchinhmm: So as such, why make things harder on yourself than necessary?:confused: I mean, afterall umps are human beings too and they sometimes will not give any kind of close call to a guy known as a jerk.

Billy Rowell, the Orioles' first pick in this year's amateur draft, signed his professional contract today on the fourth floor of the warehouse. He tried on an Orioles' cap, smiled for photographers and said all the right things.

His reward? A trip to Bluefield, where he's expected to play tomorrow for the Orioles' short-season affiliate.

Joe Jordan, the Orioles' director of scouting, sat next to Rowell as the New Jersey native signed his contract. Jordan flipped through the pages and showed him where to put pen to paper.

"The biggest thing for me is I hope that every year, when we're here and we're doing this press conference, that I can feel as good about the player that we got, the decision that we made," Jordan said.

"I'm really, really excited about what might happen here the next few years. We got the player that we wanted. It's a good situation. Geographically, he's from close to here. His family can watch him grow up in the minor leagues and work his way to Camden Yards. This kid's going to be a fun one to watch."

And a confident one.

Rowell said he hoped to join the Orioles within the next three years, which would be quite an accomplishment, given that he's fresh out of Bishop Eustice Preparatory School and starting at the lowest rung of the organizational ladder. Rowell batted .505 as a four-year starter, with 157 RBIs and a .616 on-base percentage in 103 games.

"This kid's a ballplayer," Jordan said. "Most of the emphasis is put on his bat and his offensive potential, but we're excited. We're going to have a complete player here."

Primarily a shortstop in high school, Rowell will play third base at Bluefield.

"I expect a lot of special things out of myself," he said. "I can't be in a better situation than I am now."

Rowell deposited a few balls onto Eutaw St. during a pre-draft workout at Camden Yards.

"I can see me hitting a lot of home runs in this park," he said.

What about hitting the warehouse?

"Definitely," he said. "You better believe it."

Rowell doesn't want to be viewed strictly as an offensive force. He talked about becoming a "complete player" and an "all-around player." He looks up to Cal Ripken and hopes to speak with the future Hall of Famer.

"He's a confident kid," Jordan said. "He'll need that."

Confident, but not the least bit cocky. Confident, but also humble.

Rowell will receive a $2.1 million signing bonus. Asked what he'll do with the money, Rowell said he wanted to invest as much as he could. He didn't have any special purchases planned.

The Orioles already made one yesterday.

"I've worked so hard at this," Rowell said. "It's my life."

I found this Roch entry from when Rowell was drafted pretty interesting. I don't really care if he is confident/cocky as long as he doesn't disrespect his teammates or coaches(which I haven't heard about).

This entry was also of interest

Wieters and Rowell are opposite personalities. Rowell is a cocky kid, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. He's just supremely confident, and such a hard worker that he'd hit for 24 hours straight if the Orioles let him.

Not only is Rowell certain that he'll play in the majors, he's convinced that he'll be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Albany told him, "We're not making the plaque just yet."

Tell me why are you so sure Rowell will make it to the majors. What has he shown in the past two seasons that shows he's got the talent alone to make it? He's shown power, but that's about it. He strikes out too much, doesn't walk enough, and can't hit LHP. This year his power #'s have been down as well.

Well I will tell you he is probably one of the 25 or so most likely 19 year olds on the planet to have a successful ML career. The fact that he is holding his own at a very advanced level for his age really says alot. No he may flame out but I high doubt his cockiness will have much if any bearing on this. It is much more likely it will be his ability to progress as a hitter that will do him in if he fails.

Maybe it should be all that matters but the reality is if he gets a perception of being a jerk and throwing tantrums with umpires and getting tossed at age 19 this negative reputation could follow him through the system. Meaning, he won't get close calls as many times umps stick together and will go out of their way to not give a borderline call to a cocky hot headed, prima donna. Doesn't this just sort of uh,, maybe make a little bit of common sense?:scratchchinhmm: So as such, why make things harder on yourself than necessary?:confused:

Cause that problem's clearly affected Delmon Young, who actually, you know, THREW A BAT AT AN UMPIRE!!!

Are you seriously trying to tell me that Rowell's not going to get calls because of some asanine perception of him being a primma donna? And because he argued balls and strikes and got run? You're going to sit here and tell me that no 19-year old player has ever gotten tossed out of a minor league baseball game for arguing balls and strikes? This never happened to Ripken? Or Griffey? Or Bonds? Or *insert name of Hall of Fame player here*? No. It doesn't make common sense. It makes zero sense. Because you're assuming that A) Umpires band together to screw a guy with a percieved "bad attitude" when that's clearly not true. Otherwise, Barry Bonds wouldn't have drawn the 1,000,000 or so walks he has over his career. And B) That Rowell is somehow more of a jerk than any other 19-year old that's argued balls and strikes and gotten tossed from a game. I'm going to go out and guess that he isn't. And I certainly don't think that umps give a crap about who a clubhouse thinks is a jerk.

Seriously. You're giving a completely knee-jerk reaction to ONE TIME he got run from a game. In that case, anyone that's ever done it in the history of professional baseball has had their careers considerably damaged by this. After all, umps stick together. :rolleyes:

All that matters about Rowell are the numbers he puts up, his work ethic, and his advancement through the system. That's it.

I found this Roch entry from when Rowell was drafted pretty interesting. I don't really care if he is confident/cocky as long as he doesn't disrespect his teammates or coaches(which I haven't heard about).

This entry was also of interest

Not only is Rowell certain that he'll play in the majors, he's convinced that he'll be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Albany told him, "We're not making the plaque just yet."

It is fine for him to think that way (be convinced that he will eventually make it to the HOF) but he should never have spoken it or voiced it publicly. What he very immaturely accomplished was to put a lot of unnecessary pressure on himself. This was simply a very foolish thing to do. I can just envision him playing in the majors (eventually) and not coming through in a crucial situation and some loud mouth drunk yelling: "Way to go Rowell, I guess your bust in Canton will have to be put on hold!"

Rowell totally sat himself up for that type of stuff by opening his mouth inappropriately. In that quote above he already got himself a nice little zinger by the writer of the piece: Albany told him "were not making the plaque just yet" Again, he brought this all on himself for absolutely no reason. Just stupid.

I like the fact he is a hard worker but it again sounds like he needs some major guidance on how to handle things lets just say ... more professionally.

It is fine for him to think that way (be convinced that he will eventually make it to the HOF) but he should never have spoken it or voiced it publicly. What he very immaturely accomplished was to put a lot of unnecessary pressure on himself. This was simply a very foolish thing to do. I can just envision him playing in the majors (eventually) and not coming through in a crucial situation and some loud mouth drunk yelling. Way to go Rowell, I guess your bust in Canton will have to be put on hold! Rowell sat himself up for that by opening his mouth inappropriately.

I like the fact he is a hard worker but it again sounds like he needs some major guidance on how to handle things lets just say ... more professionally.

That's how you took that.

I looked at his comments and thought, "Good. I want the kid to believe in his abilities. I don't want him second guessing himself. I want the 'I know what I can do and what my abilities' attitude out of our prospects." And no, I don't care if he voices it. I'm sure he doesn't give a crap about what some drunk loud mouth yells at him as he walks off the field. Nor should he.

[quote name=J.D.;

All that matters about Rowell are the numbers he puts up' date=' his work ethic, and his advancement through the system. That's it.

I agree with your last statement but he never should have made a statement that he thinks he will make it to the HOF as a player in front of anyone who could write it down. All he has done is subjected himself to immense potential ridicule if he doesn't live up to his own lofty aspirations. This will come back to haunt him at some point as that is just the way it is in the real world. Too bad somebody didn't give him some words of wisdom before he said this.

That's how you took that.

I looked at his comments and thought, "Good. I want the kid to believe in his abilities. I don't want him second guessing himself. I want the 'I know what I can do and what my abilities' attitude out of our prospects." And no, I don't care if he voices it. I'm sure he doesn't give a crap about what some drunk loud mouth yells at him as he walks off the field. Nor should he.

I have seen ML players fall apart when being heckled. I once helped heckle Joe Pepitone of the Yankees so badly in the early 70's at Memorial Stadium that his face and neck turned blood red and he struck out three times. :rofl:He brought the heckling on by wearing a woman's gold colored fur coat when he got out of his limosine upon arriving to the ballpark. Me and a bunch of other Orioles fans rode him unmercifully.:laughlol::clap3:

Here's the deal, Billy Rowell is the best there is, plain and simple, I mean Billy wakes up every morning and pisses excellence, and nobody can hang with his stuff, uh, you know he's just a, just a big hairy American winning machine, you ain't first, you're last, you know, what I'm talking about ... that phrase is trademarked and not to be used without the permission of Billy Rowell Inc.

Archived