Rowell's demeanor tonight

Anlbdz

Name some that didn't.

Off the top of my head, Dave Winfield would probably qualify. Alex Rodriguez had/has a rep for being cocky as well. Albert Belle did fine (although he was drafted as a collegiate player).

That's three off the top of my head. What about you? Can you provide players that didn't make the MLB out of high school soley due to their attitude?

Perhaps I need to qualify further. What I am looking for is guys who were the best of the best in HS, but just barely held their own in the minors after they started pro ball. Rowell had one good season and then has regressed each of the past two seasons. So I'm looking for a guy that has similar stats and a similar attitude and if they made it all the way to pro ball and had a successful career.

A-Rod set the minors on fire at age 18 and was in the majors the same year, Winfield went to college so he doesn't count. Rowell is only barely holding his own at 19 in A ball if you call it that. In all reality he should be back in the Sally league.

If Rowell is as talented as everybody thinks he is and he's a hard worker - where are the results? This guy should be in Bowie right now for where he was drafted and with the tools he has. Something has to be wrong for him not to be progressing at this point. Is it poor coaching or is the blame placed on Rowell? This is when you look at Rowell's attitude and the reports that he doesn't give 100% when he's out on the field, and you start to make some conclusions...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps I need to qualify further. What I am looking for is guys who were the best of the best in HS, but just barely held their own in the minors after they started pro ball. Rowell had one good season and then has regressed each of the past two seasons. So I'm looking for a guy that has similar stats and a similar attitude and if they made it all the way to pro ball and had a successful career.

A-Rod set the minors on fire at age 18 and was in the majors the next year, Winfield went to college so he doesn't count. Rowell is only barely holding his own at 19 in A ball if you call it that. In all reality he should be back in the Sally league.

Perhaps you need to qualify by limiting the requirements to um... Rowell? Thanks for making any response impossible. I don't think I could think of very many people that followed Rowell's exact career arc so far, let alone kick in the attitude, and then kicking in them making it to the Majors. Your making this an impossibly specific comparison. Fact is, the only person I can think of with Rowell's exact circumstances is Rowell.

Is this your "gotcha" moment? Cause I mean, good for you and all.

You didn't answer my question either. Can you name me one that failed completely and totally because of his attitude? I'm betting you can't. I know it's a hunch, but I'm betting you can't.

What did Rowell do to you, anyway? Has he been hanging out with Millar or something? If you honestly and truly think he's going to fail because of his attitude, then whatever. I think it's crazy-talk, but that's just my opinion. I don't think I'm alone in that opinion. Are you sure, though, that it's just because you don't like the kid?

All I can say is look at Matt Riley. He finally made it to the show but it took Tommy John surgery to realize what he was taking for granted. The kid thought he was guaranteed a ML career. He made it, but not before being reminded how lucky he was to be where he is...

Rowell strikes me as having a similar personality.

He even said he expected to be in the HOF when he was 18 years old. Unless Rowell somehow has an attitude adjustment (hopfeully not injury related), I just don't see him making it and sticking. let alone being a HOFer with that attitude.

Couple that with the fact he's not hitting LHP at all now for two seasons makes me very skeptical. I think a lot of people overrate Rowell here and even though he's 19, the expectations of 19 year olds (especially 1st round picks) has gone up because the overall talent at that age is better.

When you have guys like Adam Jones in the majors at age 21, that's what you expect from first round draft picks.

If Rowell does not make it to the big leagues it will have little to do with his attitude. It'll be because he wasn't good enough.

I've never spoken to Rowell and it's very possible he's getting along very well with the guys in Frederick. But he definitly wore out his welcome in Delmarva. Perhaps it was just a personality clash and indicative of nothing. But there was friction there.

Yeah, i heard about last year and how things didn't go well there for Rowell.

Again, I'm not saying that Rowell is not cocky, and maybe things of late have gotten worse with his teammates, I really don't know, but what I do know is that even if his teammates hate him, if he starts to hit, no one in the organization will care.

Would I like to see a nice humble young man who works well with his teammates and coaches? Absolutely. Am I going to stand here and say the kid will never make it because of this type of behavior? Nope, his talent will determine that.

Not only is Rowell certain that he'll play in the majors, he's convinced that he'll be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Albany told him, "We're not making the plaque just yet."

It is fine for him to think that way (be convinced that he will eventually make it to the HOF) but he should never have spoken it or voiced it publicly. What he very immaturely accomplished was to put a lot of unnecessary pressure on himself. This was simply a very foolish thing to do. I can just envision him playing in the majors (eventually) and not coming through in a crucial situation and some loud mouth drunk yelling: "Way to go Rowell, I guess your bust in Canton will have to be put on hold!"

Rowell totally sat himself up for that type of stuff by opening his mouth inappropriately. In that quote above he already got himself a nice little zinger by the writer of the piece: Albany told him "were not making the plaque just yet" Again, he brought this all on himself for absolutely no reason. Just stupid.

I like the fact he is a hard worker but it again sounds like he needs some major guidance on how to handle things lets just say ... more professionally.

He was 17 freakin' years old!!!!! My god man, you certainly draw conclusions from the most minuscule amount of information and run with it like gospel.

I bet if he was putting up Wieters-like numbers you would be sitting here telling us that the kid is so confident and that will help him in the future.

Archived