Cashner signing

jcaponio

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, interloper said:

Is it worrying to anyone else that the O's feel the need to defer any part of this contract? I mean it's peanuts. 

I find it really bizarre. It means either (a) the Orioles' budget is much lower than last year and we're near the top or (b) there's another larger deal in the works that we need extra up-front cash to pull off.

Given that this is the Orioles, i think Angelos just cut the payroll.

Just now, jamalshw said:

I find it really bizarre. It means either (a) the Orioles' budget is much lower than last year and we're near the top or (b) there's another larger deal in the works that we need extra up-front cash to pull off.

I agree that it seems likely that it's one of those two reasons. Given the reticence to even TALK to players about extensions, it certainly feels like there's some money issues. 

Just now, jamalshw said:

Don't forget Schoop, Britton, Manny and Gausman got raises.  Orioles aren't going to make a big splash for Cobb or Lynn.  

16 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

That's entirely possible, certainly not putting it past this organization. Still, the way this contract looks to be structured, the Orioles have left themselves enough money to make another significant addition if they so choose and can find a match. All the while reducing payroll from last year's number.

I'm not confident this is the club's intention, but it does give me a little hope. There are still a few difference makers out there in the market and it is getting way late in the process, so who knows...

The problem is their strategy of not signing pitchers to 4+ year deals take them out of the running for those difference makers. If they don't believe that  Lynn, Cobb, or Arrieta are worth 5 / 6 year deals ( I don't either) that's fine, but signing Cashner / Vargas / Tillman types is not an acceptable plan B for a team that finished with era close to 5.00. They should have addressed at least one of the pitching needs via trades. 

9 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Ooh, I like (b).    That would be nice.      

This move, by itself, may be enough to keep us from being horrible, but I still think we need a better arm if we want a fighting chance at a playoff spot.  

1B  Davis 23m
2B  Schoop - 8.5m  = 31.5m - option
SS  Manny - 16mm  = 47,5mm  
3B Beckham - 3.35m = 50.85m - option
C  Joseph - 1.25M = 52.1mm - option 
DH Trumbo - 12.5m = 64.6m
LF  Mancini - .545m = 65.145m - option
 CF Jones - 17m = 82.145m
RF  Hays - .545m = m   82.69m- option
 BC Wynns - .545m  = 83.235m  - option
OF Brugman-.545mn= .83.78m
OF Santander- .545m  = 84.325m- option after 44 days
UIF  Tejada -  1m - 85.325m
SP1 Bundy -  1.8m  =  87.125m
SP2 Gausman - 5.6m = 92.725
SP3 Cashner - 8m  = 100.725
SP4 Castro - .545m =  101.27m - option
SP5 Cortes - 545m  = 101.815m
RP1 Brach. - 5.165m  = 106.98
RP2 Givens -  .56m  = 107.54 -option
RP3 O’Day -  9m =  116.54m
RP4 Bleier - .545m = 117.085m -option
RP5 Hart -   .55m = 1117.635m - option
RP6 Mesa- .545m  = 118.18m
RP7 Ynoa- .545m = 118.725m - option  

DL - Britton  -12m  = 130.725m

Hardy buyout 2m
Miley buyout .5m

Total 133.225

Deferred
Minus 6m deferred from Davis
Minus 1m deferred from O’Day
Minus 1.5m deferred from Trumbo
Minus 3m deferred from Cashner
11.5m total Deferred
121.725m

2 hours ago, weams said:

A lot cheaper, and a lot shorter. 

Yep. Price was right. I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion honestly. But why is Lynn is such a hot target-this is the write up on him:

Lynn, a 30-year-old righty, kicks off the second tier of free-agent starting pitching.  He made 161 starts for the Cardinals in his career, regularly topping 30 per year.  Lynn went under the knife for Tommy John surgery in November 2015.  He missed all of 2016, as expected, but was one of only 12 pitchers to reach 33 regular season starts in 2017.  While Lynn was never a big control guy, his 3.8 walks per nine innings was the second-worst mark of all qualified MLB starters.  His strikeout and home run rates were also career worsts, so his 3.43 ERA can be attributed largely to a .241 batting average on balls in play.  If Lynn’s BABIP regresses and other rates hold steady, his ERA could easily jump past the mid-4.00s.  Still, Lynn takes the ball every fifth day and has had a lot of big league success since 2012.  The righty’s reported asking price of $100MM+ over five years seems unattainable, but half of baseball is seeking rotation help.  That includes the Rangers, Orioles, Twins, Mariners, Phillies, Cubs, and Brewers.  Given the expected demand for Lynn, the Cardinals are likely to make a qualifying offer, and he’s likely to reject.

Solid if you're goal is to do just slightly better than last year - and it's very possible that is the goal.  At least it's just 16 mil total and the 10 mil more isn't likely.  Looks like he's the most out of shape O since Matt Albers.  Hey Brady, we got a live one for ya.  See what you can do.    

O's for 2018 = zzzzzzzzz.

Archived