Cashner signing

jcaponio

It's a fine signing. They needed to make at least two, and for that money it makes them a better team. He isn't going to be blocking anyone who should be in the majors right now, so I think it is fine. Of course, having Cobb or Lynn or whoever would be better, but maybe not for the years and dollars that would require. 

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Cashner's stats suggest he is a pitcher who got lucky last season.  His FIP was 4.61 and only struck out 4.6 batter per 9 innings.  

I hope he does well, but I'm expecting Cashner to put up an ERA of 4.50+ pitching in the AL East.   

You say and as if you were talking about 2 different things.  The k-rate heavily influences the FIP.  4.61 is actually very good when your k-rate is that low.

A 4.50 ERA is very good when you're only paying $8 million a year for a SP.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/blue-jays-continue-sneaky-good-offseason-with-jaime-garcia/

“At around the same time the Orioles were finalizing a two year deal for Andrew Cashner, the Toronto Blue Jays signed a better pitcher at about half the cost.”

I thought fangraphs' snark and bias might stop after Cameron left.  Guess not.  New math:  8/2=10.  xD

I don't have a problem with the Cashner signing.  He's basically a #4 starter on a decent contract.  I think with the plethora of pitchers in camp they hope to catch "lightning in a bottle" with one or two of them.  Possibilities would include Cortez, Wright, Ynoa, Mesa, and Harvey.  I look for them to be aggressive with Harvey.

I like the signing. He's cheap. We're getting him for two years. Fairly low risk. 

But unless we now sign two better pitchers to fill out the rotation, we have a #4 starter (based on what a lot of OH'ers are thinking)... and Bundy, who's probably a #3/4 at this point... and Gausman, who might be a 4/5 on many teams right now. So we still need to fill those top 2-3 spots to be competitive, IMO.

I sincerely hope Dan isn't done yet. 

I can't complain about the signing, it's cheap, short, and fills a massive hole in the rotation. 

I still don't see Lynn, Cobb, Arrietta or anyone else better than Cashner being signed at this point, and I don't see him being worse than Ubaldo, Miley, Hellickson or Tillman last season so he should be an upgrade to what he's replacing. 

If he pitches well and the team is playing poorly by the deadline he can always be traded for some sort of return.

6 hours ago, MatthewW said:

I know I have already made some points on this... But I'll genuinely be shocked if Cashner posts a sub-6.00 ERA and any sort of positive value.  And I really hope I am wrong. I really do...

Even if you don’t like Cashner, that seems like a ridiculously negative take.   Shocked if he’s below 6.00? Based on what?   His 3.40 ERA from last year?   His 3.80 career ERA?    His 102 career ERA+?    His career 3.99 FIP?    His 4.61 FIP from last year?   His 5.43 ERA projection from Steamer?   His 4.91 projection from ZiPS?

14 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Being better than Miley and Ubaldo does not make a good pitcher.  The bar is set extremely low.

Who on earth do you think the O's can sign? Angelos won't sign a TOR. You think Darvish would have signed with the O's? Jake wouldn't have come back to the O's. I doubt that Lynn or Cobb will sign with the O's. I wish they would. So Cashner is the next best avalilable. IMO 

Archived