Rich Harden

Sports Guy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You also have to wonder what kind of value Rich Hill has as well.

I would love to go get Rich Hill.

Back to Harden. A GM would have to be insane to give up a top prospect for him. This guy has had ONE healthy season and it was 5 seasons ago.

Gallagher & Vitters for Harden? That's a no-brainer. The Cubs need to go all out for a CHAMPIONSHIP. Gallagher is a middle of the rotation guy. Vitters is a long way away. Harden can be dominant in season and in the playoffs IF healthy. He's a big risk but he's also a big reward for a team who needs to go all of the way THIS TIME.

No team is going to give up that much to get Harden. Just cause they are going all out doesn't mean they should go over the market value. They should see if the A's really want to trade him and if they do just offer market value.

Who knows what market value is until someone makes a deal for him? IMO, Vitters & Gallagher for Harden makes a lot of sense for the Cubs. A healthy Harden is capable of being a #1 starter. Is there risk? Of course. He's never stayed healthy for very long. Is it a risk worth taking for the Cubs? IMO, no doubt. What are the Cubs giving up? A mid rotation starter, probably at best, and a young, high draft pick, who has done nothing in pro ball to this point. Vitters could turn into a good ML regular or he could become nothing. Even if he becomes something, it will most likely take 3-4 years at the soonest. The Cubs have money. They can overcome a mistake, if indeed a trade like that backfires. BUT, there is no substitute for having an ACE type starter to go along with Zambrano in a short series, unless of course they trade for a Bedard or Sabathia. I would imagine the price would be steeper for one of those guys, particularly Bedard who has one more year of service time left.

Give me a good laugh and tell me what you think market value is, in as far as the Cubs are concerned.

The one mistake they can not overcome is trading their best prospects when something better comes along. CC has to be a higher priority.

Another Cubs fan weighing in and I would do it too. Need to have the 72 hour window to sign him though.

Why? If he leaves, you will likely end up with a first round pick(because a team like NY is likely to sign him) and another pick.

That is better than giving him some Zito-esque contract.

Why? If he leaves, you will likely end up with a first round pick(because a team like NY is likely to sign him) and another pick.

Yeah I wouldn't be hung up on signing Sabathia longterm either.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but it certainly wouldn't be a necessity.

That said I get the feeling that Sabathia is going to stay with the Indians all year.

No team is going to give up that much to get Harden. Just cause they are going all out doesn't mean they should go over the market value. They should see if the A's really want to trade him and if they do just offer market value.

Folks seem to be losing sight of the fact that the A's are right in the thick of things right now... 3 back in the division and 2 in the WC.

Beane might not be interested in just a fair, market value deal.

Without addressing specifics of Zito's contract.

The picks are not sure things to even make the show let alone be big contributors and that will happen much later than Gallagher and Ceda being ready to contribute. If I do it, I do if for a 2-3 year window (time frame of Cubs core being at peak) and not a 3 month window.

Then you deal with the future. I don't mortgage the future for only a chance. Gotta have the next year or two thereafter as a shot.

Without addressing specifics of Zito's contract.

The picks are not sure things to even make the show let alone be big contributors and that will happen much later than Gallagher and Ceda being ready to contribute. If I do it, I do if for a 2-3 year window (time frame of Cubs core being at peak) and not a 3 month window.

Then you deal with the future. I don't mortgage the future for only a chance. Gotta have the next year or two thereafter as a shot.

I think a decent case can be made that a team would be better off with nothing at all than Sabathia for 7 years and $126M (using the Zito framework -- and that's very realistic IMO for what Sabathia will command).

But the Cubs aren't left with nothing at all if they acquire Sabathia but then let him walk. They're left with two high draft picks.

So to recap: 2 picks > nothing > overpaying Sabathia

• 3 weeks later...

Archived