Bill Bavasi has some choice words for Bedard Check this out!!

DuffMan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe instead of blaming Bedard for his failings he could explain why Jose Vidro was his DH for two years, or why he traded away key parts of his bullpen when that was the major reason his 78-win team won 89 games last year. Or why he completely misread where the Mariners were in the success cycle. Or why he signed Richie Sexson and Adrian Beltre to 18-year, $578M contracts.

Bavasi is just bitter that he wasn't very good at his job and he got fired. I'm sure many a mediocre middle manager at the local office paper company has ranted about the snarky guy in the next cubicle over after he got the ax. It was just to a much smaller audience.

Maybe Bavasi wants to be the next Steve Phillips.

Ya know, in reality Bedard may be a nice guy with a lot of passion for baseball, but the way he treats journalists (who are, by the way, the fans' eyes and ears), demonstrates a real lack of professionalism and class. Bavasi's comments may be mostly the product of personal bitterness, but it sounds like Erik wasn't terribly cooperative with him either.

If fans and the ink-stained wretches among baseball beat reporters are now criticizing Bedard for a lack of heart, it is just chickens coming home to roost.

Makes me wonder... If Erik can't stand the softy journalists in polite, provincial locales like B-more and Seattle, I wonder where he plans to spend the rest of his career?

Maybe Bavasi wants to be the next Steve Phillips.

Ya know, in reality Bedard may be a nice guy with a lot of passion for baseball, but the way he treats journalists (who are, by the way, the fans' eyes and ears), demonstrates a real lack of professionalism and class. Bavasi's comments may be mostly the product of personal bitterness, but it sounds like Erik wasn't terribly cooperative with him either.

If fans and the ink-stained wretches among baseball beat reporters are now criticizing Bedard for a lack of heart, it is just chickens coming home to roost.

Makes me wonder... If Erik can't stand the softy journalists in polite, provincial locales like B-more and Seattle, I wonder where he plans to spend the rest of his career?

Start spreading the news...

That being said' date=' the chemistry part was not there, IMO.

[/quote'] the only chemistry that matters when we're talking pitchers occurs when the ball is in the vicinity of the batter. That's it bud.

Start spreading the news...

I really doubt that. He would get eaten alive in NY by the media and fans. The Yanks have to see that it's a horrible fit.

It will be interesting to see the haul they get for him if they trade him - and they HAVE to trade him.

God, what a great trade by MacPhail...

This was entertaining, but one of the most unprofessional things I have ever heard. The only thing you can say in this type of situation is defend your performance, and repeat ad nauseum that it didn't work out on the field, that's why ownership made the change. Say some nice things about your staff, toss MacLaren a bone by saying he hopes he can right the ship, he's a heck of a guy, etc.

No, where this breaks down is Bavasi has done everything in his power to destroy this proud franchise by his whacked out decision making. He only has himself to blame.

I literally dropped my jaw with the whole "white line fever angle." What a bunch of crap.

The Orioles got a nice return for Bedard and, for once, pulled the trigger at the peak of a player's trade value. Good job, O's front office. Everyone has seen a guy like Bedard before, from Little League on up. Loaded with talent, but "soft." You know, when everyone is supposed to run laps at the end of practice for conditioning, he stops after one lap and tells you "my side hurts, coach." Or, it's a 95 degree day, and he doesn't want to pitch 'cause it's "too hot." I'll play first though. You need the guy to give %100 for your team to have a chance to win, but he's an %80 kind of guy when the going gets tough. Good luck Eric, wherever you are.

The reason you heard hardly any whining is because we got a great return that was more in line with the direction of the organization.

Anybody who doesn't want this guy in their rotation is an idiot. But, he does have his flaws, and he'll never be confused with a guy that is gonna go 7+ every time out and get you 220 innings on the year.

But, to categorize him as a 5-inning pitcher who comes out after 95 pitches every time isn't accurate either.

He doesn't appear to be "A Company Man"... and for me, that sucks.

I really doubt that. He would get eaten alive in NY by the media and fans. The Yanks have to see that it's a horrible fit.

It will be interesting to see the haul they get for him if they trade him - and they HAVE to trade him.

God, what a great trade by MacPhail...

Randy Johnson isn't any better than Bedard. At least Bedard hasn't attacked a camera man yet. ;)

The Orioles got a nice return for Bedard and, for once, pulled the trigger at the peak of a player's trade value. Good job, O's front office. Everyone has seen a guy like Bedard before, from Little League on up. Loaded with talent, but "soft." You know, when everyone is supposed to run laps at the end of practice for conditioning, he stops after one lap and tells you "my side hurts, coach." Or, it's a 95 degree day, and he doesn't want to pitch 'cause it's "too hot." I'll play first though. You need the guy to give %100 for your team to have a chance to win, but he's an %80 kind of guy when the going gets tough. Good luck Eric, wherever you are.

If I was picking one player to be the ace of my rotation, I would not pick Bedard. But I think you are being very unfair to the guy. Do you really think anyone could succeed in the majors for this long being soft and giving 80% effort?

If I was picking one player to be the ace of my rotation, I would not pick Bedard. But I think you are being very unfair to the guy. Do you really think anyone could succeed in the majors for this long being soft and giving 80% effort?

If 80% effort is what Bedard has been giving he must have the talent of Walter Johnson and Sandy Koufax combined. For most of last year he was arguably the best pitcher in baseball.

Archived