Tillman

theobird

Just now, Frobby said:

As I pointed out in some other thread, the O’s starters had a 4.22 ERA last April.    So, being hidden from the teams they played early seemed to work, and the more our opponents saw of our pitchers over the season, the worse they were. 

Or that's a small sample size that's pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Frankly Frobby, it was "glaringly obvious" he couldn't pitch last year and he swears he wasn't hurt...

This is what concerns me and doesn't make a lot of sense, but I am not Chris Tillman. 

In the first half of 2016 he looked the best he ever has. Command, velocity the whole package. He doesn't deny that he was hurt in 2016 does he? He clearly he had to labor at the end of that season.

Then in 2017 he gets shut down early with shoulder issues.

The only thing I can think that would line up with what he is saying is that he still had lingering issues recovering from his troubles in 2016. It wasn't necessarily that he was still hurt, it's that he had trouble regaining form. 

It definitely confounds me though. Have we ever heard what his issue was at the end of 2016? And then he had to get some work done start of last year right? 

I just don't get why he wouldn't acknowledge that, unless he is in denial (understandable) that perhaps he will never be the same or he's really holding to the whole "no excuses athlete mantra" very strongly. 

6 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

If he's healthy, he's going to be in the OD rotation.  I have zero doubt of that.  Now he may have a short leash, but I'll be stunned if he doesn't break camp as the 4th or 5th starter.

Of course he will. He's one of Bucks boys. Doesn't matter if he screws the pooch. 

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Frankly Frobby, it was "glaringly obvious" he couldn't pitch last year and he swears he wasn't hurt...

You aren’t going to get an argument from me.    They should have stopped using him long before they did.    But I’m certainly willing to give Buck the benefit of the doubt when he says that Tillman looks much better this year.    

"Other than innings pitched in Spring Training games, I'd say I'm a little bit ahead," Tillman said of his condition. "I got so far ahead in the offseason that now I'm kind of taking a step back and progressing to more normal."

You can't bullshttt a bullshttter. There is no way Tillman is "a little bit ahead" of anything other than his cholesterol level.

Wow, didn't realize how hard they work these guys in these simulated games.   From Roch today:

Chris Tillman was pleased with yesterday’s simulated game, though he said that he needs more work from the stretch. He faced 61 batters over three innings.

Tillman expects his next start also to be in a simulated game instead of the Grapefruit League.

That seems a bit extreme...............  ;)

On 3/5/2018 at 9:25 PM, Beef Supreme said:

You can't bullshttt a bullshttter. There is no way Tillman is "a little bit ahead" of anything other than his cholesterol level.

I don't know....his ERA is probably a little bit ahead of last year unless even with having to face 61 batters in the Sim game.  I don't have a good source but I heard they had Mark Reynolds in to play third base during the SIM game and he made a few errors.  

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Wow, didn't realize how hard they work these guys in these simulated games.   From Roch today:

That seems a bit extreme...............  ;)

He threw 61 pitches over three innings. He would have had to throw three 15 pitch innings to qualify for a quality start. 

25 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I don't know....his ERA is probably a little bit ahead of last year unless even with having to face 61 batters in the Sim game.  I don't have a good source but I heard they had Mark Reynolds in to play third base during the SIM game and he made a few errors.  

No one plays the field. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Fair balls in the field of play get evaluated as to probability of being a hit. An umpire calls balls and strikes. 

Do they use ghost runners to figure out if runs are scored or not?    Those guys are really hard to throw out.

6 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Do they use ghost runners to figure out if runs are scored or not?    Those guys are really hard to throw out.

No. And really he only allowed Four or five balls hit into the field of play at all. 

“Chris Tillman said that his three-inning simulated game on Thursday went “pretty well” and he expects to pitch at least once more in a sim situation before taking the mound in a Grapefruit League game.

“I’ve got some work to do out of the stretch, but other than that, for the most part, everything was good,’’ Tillman said. “I felt like all my pitches were there. It was my first day throwing my cutter/slider. I wasn’t expecting that much out of that pitch but I got to 60 (pitches). The goal was 45 but I got to 60 and that was good.”

Peter Schmuck Balt Sun

Archived