Buck lays into Mountcastle during "reassignment to minor camp" and possible new position?

Legend_Of_Joey

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

That's fine, but there's not really enough information here, so if trusting Buck, who has far more any of us regarding the situation, is "blind trust," then the alternative is "blind distrust" to some degree, no?

Sure, I'm down with that.

I'm of fan of distrust until you can verify.

On 5/27/2017 at 7:10 PM, Luke-OH said:

Here is a quote from Frederick's hitting coach after Mountcastle's 3 HR game, I think it helps explain the aggressive approach shown by Hays and Mountcastle, it's being coached.  It also tells me they need to be challenged by pitchers who can throw them a bunch of offspeed stuff and work backwards.

With one out in the opening frame, Mountcastle took a first-pitch ball from Bower. It was the only pitch that Mountcastle didn't swing at in the contest, seeing a total of five in four at-bats. Of the 37 batters the Keys sent to the plate, 17 offered at the first pitch.

"We never go into a game with any sort of scouting report to swing at the first pitch, but one thing that we do is that we're on time with the fastball and we're swinging," Moore said. "Every pitch, -- not just the first pitch -- we're swinging until we're not swinging."

Here is one of my first posts on Orioles Hangout, it features a quote from Kyle Moore (Frederick's hitting coach) about approach at the plate. Emphasis mine.

I wish I'd have linked the source, I'll update this with a link if I find it.

Edit: Here's the link (https://www.milb.com/milb/news/baltimore-orioles-prospect-ryan-mountcastle-records-home-run-hat-trick/c-232631218)

And there is a quote where Moore directly praises Mountcastle and Hays's approach.

"I'm really fortunate to be able to work with these two guys, both of those guys are outstanding hitters." Frederick hitting coach Kyle Moore said. "Not only are they mechanically sound, when you look at these guys on film, when you slow it down, they're exciting. Everything that top-end hitters do, they have the same exact movement. On top of that, they really have great approaches at the plate." 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Gee look at that, a disconnect between what the ML coaches and the MiL coaches are telling our prospects.  This is my shocked face.  Smh.

Hopefully, Mountcastle takes what Buck told him and re-dedicates himself to being a smart hitter and also to improving his defense.  I'm worried that he figures he's good enough and his bat alone will get him to Baltimore and keep him there.  Sounds like Buck tried to give him a rude awakening, hopefully he heeds it.

Interesting to contrast Buck's comments today about Austin Hays with his earlier comments about his conversation with Mountcastle:

“Everybody wants that perfect player,” Showalter said last week. “If he walks 30 times or whether he walks 20 times, I just want him to be himself. He’s a good player. Same way with (Ryan) Mountcastle and all those guys. Just go play, man. Seek your level.

“Austin and I were talking. Everybody’s always giving these guys advice. You’ve just got to hit until you take. You got here because you did some good things offensively. Keep doing them. He’s going to seek his level. It’s going to be fun to watch.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/03/this-that-and-the-other-151.html

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:57 PM, Tony-OH said:

Look at their walk rates compared to Mountcastle in the minors.

I see it, but Mountcastle isn't Machado or Jones.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:45 PM, Hallas said:

As a 19 year old, Manny walked 10.5% of PAs in AA.

As a 20 year old, Jones walked 6.7% of PAs in AAA.

With a 3% BB rate, Mountcastle is going to have trouble translating anything against even better pitching.  Especially when you consider that pitchers would stop pitching to him even in the minors if he were a true threat.

I don't think Mountcastle is anything special and I do not overvalue prospects like a lot of people because they just fail at high rates (Even guys in the top 100). I think walks are important as they help OBP obviously, but the Orioles philosophy at the major league level screams that OBP is not more important than OPS for them.  

12 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

How MLB ready is his bat ???

11 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

He is currently slashing .297/.347/.462.

o

He appears to be right where he needs to be, in the upper levels of the Minors.

Last year, he struggled after his promotion from Advanced-A Frederick to AA-Bowie. This season, his numbers at the AA-level are very good (not spectacular, but very solid.)

Let him continue to progress at his pace, as there is no rush for him to come to the Orioles anytime soon.

o

• Upvote 1