The defense thread, 2018

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I saw the oriole post game this morning. Tom Davis said that a good right fielder would have caught  it 70% of the time. Put up some graphic.

Dempsey also said something absurd. He said over the last few years the Orioles had one of the best defenses in baseball history. If they replay the game again and have the postgame show ,watch him say that. Better then any comedy on TV now.

The Orioles had a very good defense in 2013-14.   The 2013 team set the major league record for fewest errors in a season, with 54.    The previous record was 65.   The Twins only made 59 errors that season, the second lowest total of all time.    No team has made fewer than 72 errors since then.

The O’s were 2nd in UZR that year, at 45.7.    The next year they were 3rd, at 41.4.     

So, if you want to go by advanced stats, the 2013 team was not one of the greatest defensive teams of all time, but by conventional stats, they were.   You had Manny winning the Platinum Glove and Hardy and Jones winning Gold Gloves.

So, I will give Dempsey something of a pass here.   His statement is out of date, but at least there was a fairly recent time where our defense was pretty remarkable for a couple of years, and did set a pretty impressive record.    

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The Orioles had a very good defense in 2013-14.   The 2013 team set the major league record for fewest errors in a season, with 54.    The previous record was 65.   The Twins only made 59 errors that season, the second lowest total of all time.    No team has made fewer than 72 errors since then.

The O’s were 2nd in UZR that year, at 45.7.    The next year they were 3rd, at 41.4.     

So, if you want to go by advanced stats, the 2013 team was not one of the greatest defensive teams of all time, but by conventional stats, they were.   You had Manny winning the Platinum Glove and Hardy and Jones winning Gold Gloves.

So, I will give Dempsey something of a pass here.   His statement is out of date, but at least there was a fairly recent time where our defense was pretty remarkable for a couple of years, and did set a pretty impressive record.    

That's not "the last few years" though. 15, 16, and 17 have been bad. Fangraphs has us 13th, 21st, and 28th in MLB over "the last few years".

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

That's not "the last few years" though. 15, 16, and 17 have been bad. Fangraphs has us 13th, 21st, and 28th in MLB over "the last few years".

13th in 2015 isn’t bad.    We were +11 that year.    2016-17, yeah, bad.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. ATHLETICS, 5/04)

The defense has been absolutely horrible tonight ........ and the Orioles have only been in the field for 6 innings so far.

o

Well we have a 1B in LF, a COF in CF, DHs at RF and 3B, a 3B at SS, and a utility guy at 2B. 

Only Davis and Caleb were playing at their best positions tonight and neither of them have been great defensively this year either. 

o

(vs. ROYALS, 5/09)

AND

(vs. ROYALS, 5/10)

In back-to-back games, Jonathan Schoop has flubbed potential double play balls while playing behind 2 of the Orioles' most struggling pitchers (Brad Brach and Chris Tillman.)

o

• 2 weeks later...

May 21, Game 47

There hasn’t been much positive to report in this thread, but last night was an exception.   Trey Mancini threw out a runner who was trying to stretch a single into a double.    Later in that inning, Trey picked up a second assist by starting a 7-6-2 relay play to the plate that featured an accurate initial throw to Manny followed by a strong one-hop throw to the plate, from a fairly tough angle, that Susac fielded cleanly before applying the tag.    Those plays were critical to the O’s holding on for a 3-2 wIn.   

Yeah, I'll certainly give Trey credit for making that throw when he needed to, but what was that White Sox player thinking on that single?  Schoop almost missed the tag because he got the glove down so early waiting for the guy to get there.  Just a horrible baserunning error.

Just now, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, I'll certainly give Trey credit for making that throw when he needed to, but what was that White Sox player thinking on that single?  Schoop almost missed the tag because he got the glove down so early waiting for the guy to get there.  Just a horrible baserunning error.

Agreed.    

7 hours ago, Pheasants said:

Even if you want Trumbo in for the bat, which was good tonight, why would you leave him in in late innings of a close game?

i did not see the game but he had over half the hits and might have not scored without Trumbo. I don't get not playing a better outfield against a team who is not a prolific offense. You might not need as many runs against the White Sox. But again having three or more  DH's on a roster is not smart and seems to have bit the Orioles many times this year. Like all the Rule 5 guys and not having a decent backup middle infielder. Still even if Beckham comes back ,they still do not have a true third baseman. I know Manny but he is now the SS for life.

15 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

5/22 - Mark Trumbo misses a fly ball in right field that leads to a 3 run rally and a 3-2 Orioles loss. 

Wow I just realized that they didn't rule that an error. The ball hit in the middle of his glove on the front edge of the warning track and that's not an error? Why do we have official score keepers? This is why traditional defensive stats mean nothing? You take a slow outfielder who barely gets to a ball and then drops it and somehow that is not an error. An average RF'er would have gotten to the spot and waited to catch what was an average fly ball.

Archived