The defense thread, 2018

Frobby

18 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Hays will be here soon. Hope we see Mullins by September.  

Let’s hope Hays picks up where he left off when he was last at Bowie. He was hurt at the beginning of spring training and didn’t have a great spring, but was coming around towards the end.    

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The defense did not help today. Sharp grounder hit to Beckham, he could have thrown home to get the out there but decided to get the sure out at 1st. Later on the game, Machado lost focus on a wide throw by Santander. Manny should of had it; it allowed Altuve to get to third and he would score on a bunt by Marin Gonzalez.

Unfortunately, I think we will be bumping this thread a lot this year in terms of poor decisions and bad defense.

1 hour ago, O's are Legends said:

The defense did not help today. Sharp grounder hit to Beckham, he could have thrown home to get the out there but decided to get the sure out at 1st. Later on the game, Machado lost focus on a wide throw by Santander. Manny should of had it; it allowed Altuve to get to third and he would score on a bunt by Marin Gonzalez.

Unfortunately, I think we will be bumping this thread a lot this year in terms of poor decisions and bad defense.

That was the right play at the time IMO for Beckham to take the sure out at 1B. The runner was at partially blocking the throwing lane and it was a tag play early in the game. Of course it’s easy to say in hindsight he should’ve gone home and he did have a play at home. I don’t think that’s a “bad” play though.

17 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

That was the right play at the time IMO for Beckham to take the sure out at 1B. The runner was at partially blocking the throwing lane and it was a tag play early in the game. Of course it’s easy to say in hindsight he should’ve gone home and he did have a play at home. I don’t think that’s a “bad” play though.

I’ve watched the play repeatedly and disagree. Going to 1B was the sure out, but I stopped the replay to see where Beckham was as he fielded the ball in relation to the runner. I’m hard pressed to say 1B was the best option. Beckham was 15-20 feet off the line and had a significant angle with which to make the throw home. He didn’t and I’m certain another guy who’s played there would have.

Again, with his relative inexperience at the position, I don’t think he had the confidence to attempt the throw home.

April 6, Game 8

Tonight’s game featured one of the most memorable defensive plays in a long time.   In the 11th inning of a tie game, with a runner on third base, Mychal Givens uncorked a wild pitch and it looked like this game was over.    But Caleb Joseph scrambled back to get it and flipped it backhand to the plate while Givens was charging towards the plate.   Givens slid to the inside of the plate, caught the throw and slapped a tag on Didi Gregorius while blocking Gregorius’ route to the plate with his upper leg.    I don’t know if Givens intentionally took a route that blocked the plate, but it certainly was effective!     The out call stood after a replay review, and later it was clarified that there is no rule preventing a pitcher from blocking the plate.

Great hustle and alertness by both Joseph and Givens,  great flip by Joseph, great slide and catch by Givens, who as a former infielder is probably our only Orioles pitcher who would have made that play.   

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

April 6, Game 8

Tonight’s game featured one of the most memorable defensive plays in a long time.   In the 11th inning of a tie game, with a runner on third base, Mychal Givens uncorked a wild pitch and it looked like this game was over.    But Caleb Joseph scrambled back to get it and flipped it backhand to the plate while Givens was charging towards the plate.   Givens slid to the inside of the plate, caught the throw and slapped a tag on Didi Gregorius while blocking Gregorius’ route to the plate with his upper leg.    I don’t know if Givens intentionally took a route that blocked the plate, but it certainly was effective!     The out call stood after a replay review, and later it was clarified that there is no rule preventing a pitcher from blocking the plate.

Great hustle and alertness by both Joseph and Givens,  great flip by Joseph, great slide and catch by Givens, who as a former infielder is probably our only Orioles pitcher who would have made that play.   

https://www.mlb.com/video/orioles-nab-gregorius-at-home/c-1911139383

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

56 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Forever to be known as Caleb Flip, and The Givens Flop, from now on. At least by me. 

o

I was at this game at Yankee Stadium 7 years ago, when Felix Pie was called out trying to score an insurance run in the top of the 9th inning on a wild pitch.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA201104140.shtml

Joba Chamberlain blocked home plate with his foot, and Pie was called out, even though he got there first.

At that time, there was no rule preventing a defensive player from blocking home plate without the ball.

o

Archived