The defense thread, 2018

Frobby

There was one other play I forgot to mention.    There was a soft line drive to RCF and as Jones and Santander approached it, Jones backed off and Santander made a nice diving catch.    I was a bit surprised Jones didn’t take it, as the ball was about equidistant between the two as they were running towards it, and it certainly occurred to me that a few years ago Jones would have reached it with ease.    But, nice play by Santander.   

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things I think are true:

-- there have been multiple plays at 3rd that Beckham hasn't made that Manny could have already this season

-- AT MOST there has been maybe one play at short that Manny made that Beckham wouldn't have

When the switch was announced before spring training, it didn't seem right to me, but I didn't want to judge until I had seen itin action.   I thought maybe Manny would be as good at short as he is at 3rd and that would justify it because more balls are hit to short than 3rd by a significant margin.

But 10 games in I think this alignment has hurt us.

20 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Two things I think are true:

-- there have been multiple plays at 3rd that Beckham hasn't made that Manny could have already this season

-- AT MOST there has been maybe one play at short that Manny made that Beckham wouldn't have

When the switch was announced before spring training, it didn't seem right to me, but I didn't want to judge until I had seen itin action.   I thought maybe Manny would be as good at short as he is at 3rd and that would justify it because more balls are hit to short than 3rd by a significant margin.

But 10 games in I think this alignment has hurt us.

I agree that the alignment hurts them, but there were two plays in yesterday’s game alone that Beckham would not have made at SS.

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I agree that the alignment hurts them, but there were two plays in yesterday’s game alone that Beckham would not have made at SS.

OK, thanks.   I actually couldn't watch yesterday's game, followed it on my phone.   Only the second game all year I haven't been able to watch (the other was the day Houston game while i was at work)

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What was the second one?

My mistake, there was one yesterday, but he’s had others where his arm was on display. Beckham doesn’t have his arm and the range hasn’t been a negative for Machado.

April 8, Game 10

Lots of stuff in this game.

- Santander made a nice leaping catch at the wall.   Not sure the ball would have gotten out, but extra bases at a minimum    He didn’t really jump that high, but still a nice play.

- In the 7th, runner on 2B and two out,   Manny fielded a ball deep in the hole but took an extra step before throwing.   The throw was a laser and the hitter was called out, but replay showed he was just barely safe so the inning continued, and the next hitter stroked a game tying single.

- In the 10th, Adam Jones lost a high fly in the sun that landed for a double.

- The next batter hit a liner over Gentry’s head, slicing away, that he almost lost in the sun.   Initially he turned the wrong way as he ran back, but he adjusted and made a lunging catch.

- In the 11th, after walking two hitters, Brad Brach mishandled a sac bunt by Gardner to load the bases with nobody out.

- On the ensuing play, Judge hit a one hopper to Brach, who quickly made a good throw to the plate, and Caleb fired to third and nabbed the lead runner by a step for a HUGE double play.

Awesome game.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

For the second time in this series Joseph shows just how much he ‘thinks’ the game. In the process, he preserved the Orioles win and Brach’s bacon. 

Give him the save.

Totally agree.  Smart player and into the game. I loved the fist pumps when Stanton k’d.   !!!

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

April 8, Game 10

Lots of stuff in this game.

- Santander made a nice leaping catch at the wall.   Not sure the ball would have gotten out, but extra bases at a minimum    He didn’t really jump that high, but still a nice play.

- In the 7th, runner on 2B and two out,   Manny fielded a ball deep in the hole but took an extra step before throwing.   The throw was a laser and the hitter was called out, but replay showed he was just barely safe so the inning continued, and the next hitter stroked a game tying single.

- In the 10th, Adam Jones lost a high fly in the sun that landed for a double.

- The next batter hit a liner over Gentry’s head, slicing away, that he almost lost in the sun.   Initially he turned the wrong way as he ran back, but he adjusted and made a lunging catch.

- In the 11th, after walking two hitters, Brad Brach mishandled a sac bunt by Gardner to load the bases with nobody out.

- On the ensuing play, Judge hit a one hopper to Brach, who quickly made a good throw to the plate, and Caleb fired to third and nabbed the lead runner by a step for a HUGE double play.

Awesome game.

Think about this also:

-Wright had a mental lapse in the first by throwing to second and getting nobody instead of cutting down a run at the place. An implosion followed.

-Machado cost us a run with a lackadaisical throw to first against a speedy runner 

-Our pitchers walked 6 batters

-Jones lost a ball in the sun

-Brach muffed a bunt and allowed runner to reach

How often do you make mistakes like that against the Yankees and still win?

Archived