Bedard injured

bummer

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leaves game holding hip. Even had a hard time walking.

This season has been swell for M's fans. Can't even trade the dude now probably.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Hey, there's rumors that the Mariners-Rays have been talking about Ichiro. Any thought what you'd want in return? Price is untouchable, but I'm sure just about everyone else is up for grabs.

I wonder if Bedard said he couldn't pitch today and need one more day off. I think he said and Mariners done that before. Then the Mariners were like no. You got to pitch you baby.

I am just joking. Even the Mariners aren't that stupid.

Back spasms. Weird. Looked like he was cleary favoring his hip.

As far as trading Ichiro to the Rays....it would never happen. Ichiro has a no trade clause and I doubt he'd want to go to the Rays. Two teams I can see him playing for are the Cubs and Dodgers. Cubs because of Piniella, Dodgers because he lives in LA. I don't think he would want to play in NY, but I could be wrong.

Pretty much I don't expect him to be traded. I'd be shocked.

In Seattle he's pretty much allowed to do whatever he wants. That has made some players jealous and that's part of the friction in the clubhouse people have been talking about.

Don't worry, it's just vast conspiracy by the media that caused his injury.

Tony has a teammate or coach ever said he was a problem in the clubhouse?

Back spasms. Weird. Looked like he was cleary favoring his hip.

As far as trading Ichiro to the Rays....it would never happen. Ichiro has a no trade clause and I doubt he'd want to go to the Rays. Two teams I can see him playing for are the Cubs and Dodgers. Cubs because of Piniella, Dodgers because he lives in LA. I don't think he would want to play in NY, but I could be wrong.

Pretty much I don't expect him to be traded. I'd be shocked.

In Seattle he's pretty much allowed to do whatever he wants. That has made some players jealous and that's part of the friction in the clubhouse people have been talking about.

They should trade Ichiro. They could probable get a lot for him.

I wouldn't shop Ichiro, but if a team wants to make a play for Ichiro, and wants to offer a good haul for Ichiro that you can't pass up, then I would do it. I don't believe what USSM thinks about trading Ichiro. They think he's absolutely untouchable no matter what. I think that's foolish.

What's tough about trading is realistically Ichiro is overpaid and only a few teams would be willing to take on his contract. That's why I think the Cubs would be a good fit. Vitters/Pie/Hill or Marshall is what I'd demand I guess. I'm not sure if that trade would be doable or not. I don't know much about Cubs prospects, just their names. I'm not sure if that is too much or not enough.

Could be interesting. I'm not sure how well Ichiro is liked by his fellow teammates these days, and that might play a factor in Ichiro maybe even asking for a trade behind the scenes(total speculation). The way it reads in the media is Ichiro and Johjima may not be very well liked and that some players are resentful that Ichiro/Johjima get special treatment that the other players don't get.

Like I said, there's a lot of clubhouse tension.

Two of those coaches, with the team in Atlanta, wanted to talk about what McLaren would not. They spoke under the cloak of anonymity, they said, to keep their jobs.

“You’ve got players in that clubhouse who should be team leaders – guys like Richie Sexson, Adrian Beltre, Erik Bedard, even Ichiro – who care only about themselves,” one coach said. “When your best players are hitting 50-60 points below their career averages and won’t take extra batting practice, what message does that send?

“You had kids at the park six hours before a game to work with (former hitting coach) Jeff Pentland one-on-one in the cage, and you had Beltre, who’d never do it. Pretty soon, the younger guys weren’t doing it, either.”

Asked about internal jealousies, one of the Mariners coaches laughed.

“You had pitchers complaining about having to throw to (catcher) Kenji Johjima all spring, then saw him get a three-year contract extension in April,” the coach said. “You had guys watch Felix (Hernandez) work his (butt) off in camp and watched Bedard do the minimum – and Bedard was the opening-day starter.”

The second coach offered other details.

“Arthur Rhodes started sitting on the bench when players were taking extra hitting, extra infield drills, and shouting, 'Where’s Richie? Anyone seen Richie Sexson?’ because Sexson was never there,” he said.

“Then Bedard started setting his own pitch counts, and sitting in the clubhouse during games he didn’t start. Mac tried dealing with that – we all did. How do you make the highest-paid players on your team work harder if they decide they’re not going to?”

Wow.

Archived