Rasmus to DL

nevadaO

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What exactly do you want to see from Stewart that will show he is ready?  What, in your estimation, does he still have to work on in the minors?

His April numbers were poor.  At most he has hit well for 5 weeks.  I want to see more before he makes the jump to the majors.   

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

At this point, why would we waste any service time on Mullins or Stewart unless they are making a powerful case that they are ready for the majors?  No point in rushing them.  

Why are you worried about these guy's service time? It's not like they are high ceiling players who we are going to desperately need one more year out of at the end of their deal. They are guys who should be easily replenished from the organization in 5 or so years.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

His April numbers were poor.  At most he has hit well for 5 weeks.  I want to see more before he makes the jump to the majors.   

He's producing the same numbers at Norfolk Mancini did.  And he's an actual outfielder.  Do you think he has more to learn in the minors?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's producing the same numbers at Norfolk Mancini did.  And he's an actual outfielder.  Do you think he has more to learn in the minors?

Mancini was in Norfolk for a season.   Stewart has hit well for 5 weeks.

Just now, wildcard said:

Mancini was in Norfolk for a season.   Stewart has hit well for 5 weeks.

Your point?

Do you just think that players need to complete a full season to warrant promotion to the next level?

Should the O's have kept Manny down?

The O's need to improve their outfield defense, there are  reasons to think that Stewart can provide similar offense to what we are currently running out there with the added benefit of superior defense.

Stewart and Mullins are both old enough they won't reach free agency until they are at least 30 already.  There's almost always a tax establishing a young player, and in those two cases I think I'd rather pay it this summer.  We're close enough to Super Two that it's easy enough now to pause it another few weeks just in case they really make it big, but with continued good play on their parts, I'm hoping to see both before the All-Star break.

I freely confess in Mullins's case I'm motivated by wanting an outfielder who can run to support the pitchers.

Today's Outs Above Average has Mancini and Jones at -11 Outs Above Average combined.  They are together 1-for-8 on 4-Star plays, balls caught on average 26-50% of the time, and 0-for-12 on their 5-Star (<25%) opportunities.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Your point?

Do you just think that players need to complete a full season to warrant promotion to the next level?

The O's need to improve their outfield defense, there are  reasons to think that Stewart can provide similar offense to what we are currently running out there with the added benefit of superior defense.

I want to see more out of Stewart than 5 good weeks.  He is not at Manny's talent level.  And though you may think he will put up the same number in the Majors as he is at AAA,   I don't believe that.   Most players don't.

Besides that where does he get his playing time.  If you are talking improve defense he is not better than Rickard.  He is not playing center  and as long as Trumbo, Davis, Alvarez and Valencia are on the team he is not replacing Mancini.  So you want him to come up and sit.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Your point?

There’s no magic date at which I’d say Stewart is definitely ready to move up, but personally I’d prefer to have him continue working on his game at Norfolk a little longer.    For one thing, we’d have to bump someone from the 40-man roster to call him up.    And, I do think another couple months in Norfolk would help him.   

That said, I wouldn’t have a cow about it if he were called up sooner.

Who would you send down if Stewart came up, assuming that cutting Davis isn’t a realistic option?   I guess it would have to be Rickard (who has options) or Gentry (who doesn’t).    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s no magic date at which I’d say Stewart is definitely ready to move up, but personally I’d prefer to have him continue working on his game at Norfolk a little longer.    For one thing, we’d have to bump someone from the 40-man roster to call him up.    And, I do think another couple months in Norfolk would help him.   

Who would you send down if Stewart came up, assuming that cutting Davis isn’t a realistic option?   I guess it would have to be Rickard (who has options) or Gentry (who doesn’t).    

Rickard, Alvarez, Gentry in that order.

I'd also be willing to jettison Trumbo but I don't think that's a realistic option right now.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rickard, Alvarez, Gentry in that order.

I'd also be willing to jettison Trumbo but I don't think that's a realistic option right now.

Rickard outplayed Stewart at AAA this year.  And is setting a pretty high bar in the majors so far.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm just curious, and WC didn't give me a specific answer, what part of his game does he need to work on at Norfolk?  Hitting into the wind?  Stewart strikes me as a finished product.   Not sure why he can learn at Norfolk that he can't learn in Baltimore.

Just now, wildcard said:

Rickard outplayed Stewart at AAA this year.  And is setting a pretty high bar in the majors so far.

Yes the 27 year old played well at Norfolk.

We know what Rickard is, it is time to see what Stewart might be.

Ideally I'd move Mancini out of left field, where he doesn't belong, and install Stewart.

Archived