Chicago Sun: Cubs interested in Manny

Tony-OH

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ballmer Bruce said:

Hope Dbacks keep pressure on Dodgers who have not won World Series for 30 years.

Bonus for me as I am a lifelong O's fan living now in AZ.

The Dodgers are in bad shape. Their SP is hurting, their BP is hurting, and their offense is hurting. They themselves are in 4th place already 8 games out. They are not a Manny Machado away. 

The Dbacks are more likely to be a Manny Machado away. The Manny to the Dodgers pipedream is fading fast.

14 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

O's have won 5 of 6 at what point do we hear Buck and DD say we are buying

I don't know whether the problem is Peter Angelos's innate inability to make decisions, the uncertainty of (and maybe variations in) his medical condition, the unwillingness or inability of his son(s) to make a decision, or something else, but it appears that the bad news is that that at the highest level the Orioles cannot reach a decision to make an intelligent move that would help the team.

I hope the corresponding good news is that the Orioles can't make a decision to do something really stupid, either. 

11 hours ago, pastorfan said:

This would be funny if it were not quite possible!

Actually it may have been proven possible, was quoting an old poster who wrote a gloriously enjoyable (similarly confusing to this OP, albeit not nearly as bad) on said combination.   

14 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Dodgers have two things going against them to be buyers.

1. They don't want to go over the luxury tax.

2. They don't like giving up their prospects.

Not a good combination to be buyers.

Can you give an example of #2 that validates your position. From everything I've read including an article posted here from a Dodgers writer says they are an organization that is willing to trade prospects to improve their club. If they want to compete this year they need to be aggressive.

Here is an article from a Mets writer

He suggest a package of Gsellman/Lugo, Peterson/Kay, Nimmo, and Mauricio.

Looks like a pretty nice deal.....I'd like to get Giminez 

That’s where the Mets would start, with pitchers. Some current major league hurlers and some minor leaguers. Ideally, the Orioles would want one of Robert Gsellman or Seth Lugo. Both are pretty good pitchers who can start and have a lot of time left before free agency.

Next, the Orioles would want a solid pitching prospect. They would probably want someone like Tim Peterson or Anthony Kay.

Next would be the hitters. The Orioles would be looking for an outfielder as well as a shortstop replacement. The Mets could cover these needs with Brandon Nimmoand one of their most recent international signings, Ronny Mauricio.

https://risingapple.com/2018/05/13/mets-rumors-manny-machado/

Whatever team we trade Manny to, we should attach our international bonus slots.  Do that instead of “piece mealing” them away one by one.  We’re not going to use them, and we could get a better return because the trading team could just use them to replenish what they give up.  

I also think that we might not even trade the slots away as to avoid bad press.  As in we won’t create bad press.  We can always say we’re thinking about using the slots and then never do it.  

9 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Can you give an example of #2 that validates your position. From everything I've read including an article posted here from a Dodgers writer says they are an organization that is willing to trade prospects to improve their club. If they want to compete this year they need to be aggressive.

Look at their trade history. What major prospects have they given up in tradea over the years? I can't  think of any. Can you name some? Being willing and actually doing so are two different things. 

And I'm talking the kind of prospects the Orioles would need back for Machado. Even for Darvish they only gave up 1 top 10 prospect. The other 2 were outside the top 15.

Also, MLB network when Seager went down talked about a possible Machado deal, and they said they doubt the Dodgers would part with the prospects necessary to get a Machado.

1 minute ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Depressingly, I would not be shocked at all if that happened.  ONLY this organization could let that happen...

Yes I agree that the Orioles could screw this up. He should have been traded more than a year ago to get peak value.

with that said Brady understands what is at stake by letting him walk for the reduced comp pick.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes I agree that the Orioles could screw this up. He should have been traded more than a year ago to get peak value.

with that said Brady understands what is at stake by letting him walk for the reduced comp pick.

Reduced comp pick?

This must be the most depressing thread ever... just a bunch of bad assumptions and negativity brewing with little to no actual facts. you read some of the responses and sure makes one wonder:  Why are most of you O's fans?

Archived