Chicago Sun: Cubs interested in Manny

Tony-OH

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Absolutely.

The defense for that coming from Buck or Dan: "Well he's a pretty darn good player, isn't he?  We'd rather have him in orange and black than watch him do it for someone else, right?" (while of course still not attempting to resign him)

Just now, Yardball85 said:

The defense for that coming from Buck or Dan: "Well he's a pretty darn good player, isn't he?  We'd rather have him in orange and black than watch him do it for someone else, right?" (while of course still not attempting to resign him)

Part of me thinks that the plan all along was to wait until all the salaries come off the books this year and try to re-sign him.  Couldn't do it the last two offseasons because the budget wouldn't allow it, but they can easily add 30 million to next years payroll.  

That's a stupid, risky thing to do if you really think you can re-sign him but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the logic that comes to light after the fact.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who will come out to the ballpark if they trade Manny?

Yup.  "There's a reason a lot of people want him.  He's a darn good player.  And we are going to keep him here for as long as we can."  DD or Buck, July 31, 2018.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Part of me thinks that the plan all along was to wait until all the salaries come off the books this year and try to re-sign him.  Couldn't do it the last two offseasons because the budget wouldn't allow it, but they can easily add 30 million to next years payroll.  

That's a stupid, risky thing to do if you really think you can re-sign him but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the logic that comes to light after the fact.  

They could have signed him two years ago and not paid him 30M a year for those two years.

Archived