Chicago Sun: Cubs interested in Manny

Tony-OH

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I sincerely believe the Orioles think it is in their best interests to keep Manny for the rest of the year so  he's on their team, and lose him for a pick.

I don't know how McPhail convinced them to part with Tejada and Bedard way back when; but, at the time, they were the only players people were coming to see other than Roberts - - - who was mostly injured by that point.  Manny is clearly the only one people are coming to see now, at least on offense.  I would not be surprised to see the most valuable guy in trade stock remain on this team because he is also the most valuable asset to getting asses in the seats.  Ownership has always liked money over winning, imo.

If we trade him, we need the highest rated IF prospect from the trade partner and two almost ready for prime time players from any other positions.

2 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I’m glad some of you aren’t GMs. If another team really want Manny, it’s going to cost them. 

And if we keep him......we get to finish last and get a pick....yippee!   Other GMs never “really want” a player.  Owners maybe.  Fans certainly.  But GMs, good ones, usually want only more value than they are willing to give up. 

3 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I don't know how McPhail convinced them to part with Tejada and Bedard way back when; but, at the time, they were the only players people were coming to see other than Roberts - - - who was mostly injured by that point.  Manny is clearly the only one people are coming to see now, at least on offense.  I would not be surprised to see the most valuable guy in trade stock remain on this team because he is also the most valuable asset to getting asses in the seats.  Ownership has always liked money over winning, imo.

If we trade him, we need the highest rated IF prospect from the trade partner and two almost ready for prime time players from any other positions.

Tejada was about to be busted for steroid use and Bedard was a malcontent. 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I will be hopping mad if Addison Russell comes back as the centerpiece of a deal with the Chubbies.

Exactly. I don’t think Russell is hitting his weight this year. 

10 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I’m glad some of you aren’t GMs. If another team really want Manny, it’s going to cost them. 

No one is saying take the first offer.  But you definitely take the best offer you get.  Holding onto Manny and losing him for a pick would be incredibly stupid.  Like, "Orioles fans in third grade would know it's stupid" stupid.

3 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Tejada was about to be busted for steroid use and Bedard was a malcontent. 

Sure, but they still parted with them.  Many clearly has them over a barrel with leveraging himself into the SS position.  I'm just not certain they have the cajones to upset what's left of the fanbase by trading him.  I hope they do, of course.  Yet, recent past experience doesn't dictate that.

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

And if we keep him......we get to finish last and get a pick....yippee!   Other GMs never “really want” a player.  Owners maybe.  Fans certainly.  But GMs, good ones, usually want only more value than they are willing to give up. 

Not if they think Manny is the missing piece to winning a World Series this year. 

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

No one is saying take the first offer.  But you definitely take the best offer you get.  Holding onto Manny and losing him for a pick would be incredibly stupid.  Like, "Orioles fans in third grade would know it's stupid" stupid.

Yeah, you take the best offer, but don’t tell me that Addison Russell is the center piece for a deal that involves Manny. THAT would be stupid.

Just now, ORIOLE33 said:

Not if they think Manny is the missing piece to winning a World Series this year. 

I agree with this!  This is how the Skanks capitalized on Chapman.  You can't tell me they thought they were going to win the year they signined him in FA... They signed him to showcase him and trade him.  Very shrewd.  And they got a Kin's ransom for him.  I don''t see our FO as being that shrewd.

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If I'm a minor leaguer in the Cubs system I am faking a hamstring pull and telling my agent that I should be held out of action until a deal is made.  

Why? You’ll be in the majors in no time

Archived