Chicago Sun: Cubs interested in Manny

Tony-OH

24 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

When has the most money ever been in Baltimore (except when they've bid against themselves)?

In 96, when they had the highest payroll in baseball.

I named a method of improving the future now by trading Manny, then going after him this winter if they felt they had a shot at signing him.

I said neither are likely. 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I still don't understand why we aren't interested in Javier Baez...

Ian Happ is a flawed player. And Baez is only 2 years older. Yes he's a free swinger, but he makes it work. And he can play just about every position. If the Cubs want Machado I'd make them part with Baez + prospects. 

Just now, Tryptamine said:

Because it's not realistic. The Cubs aren't going to give up 4 years of a guy who has finally broken out and is on pace for a monster season, not for half a season anyways.

It was rumored they offered Baez and Montgomery for Machado in the offseason.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Ian Happ is a flawed player. And Baez is only 2 years older. Yes he's a free swinger, but he makes it work. And he can play just about every position. If the Cubs want Machado I'd make them part with Baez + prospects. 

Mr Angelos, is that you?

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It was rumored they offered Baez and Montgomery for Machado in the offseason.

Even if it was true, which I highly doubt, Baez is now putting up a .970OPS on pace for about 50bombs and striking out at a rate lower than 20% which is a huge improvement.

Just now, Tryptamine said:

Even if it was true, which I highly doubt, Baez is now putting up a .970OPS on pace for about 50bombs and striking out at a rate lower than 20% which is a huge improvement.

I'd certainly try for him. Make the Cubs take the risk with Happ. Include other players if you have to. They might be interested in a SP with Darvish struggles / DL stint. 

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

Difference is it was for a full season AND the Cubs could have offered Manny a QO and gotten a pick back.

The difference is Baez has gotten off to a hot start. None of you thought Baez / Montgomery was enough in Dec / Jan. Now it's too much. The point I'm making is that I don't think Baez is an "untouchable" player. And now the team should be willing to part with just about anyone on their roster. Sweeten the pot, include a SP, get it done. 

I still think the Dodgers match up the best. We just need them to go into panic mode. If they lose one more SP they just might...

16 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

When has the most money ever been in Baltimore (except when they've bid against themselves)?

when we signed Belle we had baseball's highest payroll for at least one year.

3 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

No one is saying take the first offer.  But you definitely take the best offer you get.  Holding onto Manny and losing him for a pick would be incredibly stupid.  Like, "Orioles fans in third grade would know it's stupid" stupid.

Some people on this board believe we will still reap this huge bonanza, even after totally bungling this situation for two years....I say nonsense..the bonanza ship with Manny sailed two winters ago, sailed again before the season started in 2017, and again last season at the trade deadline, it was heading out again at the winter meetings, and over the horizon just before spring training.  Some people think we are still going to get a haul that is somehow about the same as two years ago because other teams “are desperate”  or  our brilliant GM hydra will skillfully manipulate every other team GM into “a bidding war.”   I think those people are going to be totally unimpressed and quite depressed as to what returns to us for Manny at this point or any point up to and including the comp pick (which I still think is a 50/50 outcome even now).   So if you don’t think this regime can’t be incredibly stupid, not only can they be, they have already been. 

I'd think it would be something like Ian Happ, Miguel Amaya(He's going to rocket up the boards),Thomas Hatch is what I see being realistic, yeah Happy is slumping at the moment and needs some ABs in AAA, but he'll figure it out. Despite his slump he's still putting up a 107RC% which means he's been 7% above average.

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Some people on this board believe we will still reap this huge bonanza, even after totally bungling this situation for two years....I say nonsense..the bonanza ship with Manny sailed two winters ago, sailed again before the season started in 2017, and again last season at the trade deadline, it was heading out again at the winter meetings, and over the horizon just before spring training.  Some people think we are still going to get a haul that is somehow about the same as two years ago because other teams “are desperate”  or  our brilliant GM hydra will skillfully manipulate every other team GM into “a bidding war.”   I think those people are going to be totally unimpressed and quite depressed as to what returns to us for Manny at this point or any point up to and including the comp pick (which I still think is a 50/50 outcome even now).   So if you don’t think this regime can’t be incredibly stupid, not only can they be, they have already been. 

We don't have a brilliant GM. We have Brady Anderson...and his dated side burns.

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

I'd think it would be something like Ian Happ, Miguel Amaya(He's going to rocket up the boards),Thomas Hatch is what I see being realistic, yeah Happy is slumping at the moment and needs some ABs in AAA, but he'll figure it out. Despite his slump he's still putting up a 107RC% which means he's been 7% above average.

I'm not convinced. I've watched Happ play quite a bit. I'm not sure that strikeout rate is ever coming down.

Archived