A Trade to Consider

Answerman

Caleb has been a great Oriole, has the makings of a future manager (would love for him to someday work with our minor leaguers), and seems like a pretty cool dude. However, I have become a big fan of both Susac and Wynns. I do believe we could trade Caleb and open up some playing time for the other guys. I realize he may not have much trade value, but at least three should-be contenders have catching issues: Milwaukee, Minnesota and Washington. Maybe now is the time to see what we can get for him, save a little money, and provide a little more playing time. I really don’t think this would hurt the big league team.

What say ye?

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Trading Joseph is not a bad idea as long as people understand that it's more of a non factor move more than anything. They may be able to scratch up a low end minor league reliever but that's about it.

Or just cash... career .222 hitter. Every org has a guy or two like him already. 

9 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Or just cash... career .222 hitter. Every org has a guy or two like him already. 

Right. It would be a PTBNL or cash. I like the idea of moving him so they could bring up Susac and get a look at him and Chance for next season.

3 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

2015/2017 Caleb Joseph certainly has value. Good defensive catcher with a bit of pop. 2016 Joseph and so far 2018 Joseph is worthless. Might as well see if he can pick it up with the bat before trading him.

Even in his best years he was under .300 OBP. He has almost no value. 

2 hours ago, Answerman said:

Caleb has been a great Oriole, has the makings of a future manager (would love for him to someday work with our minor leaguers), and seems like a pretty cool dude. However, I have become a big fan of both Susac and Wynns. I do believe we could trade Caleb and open up some playing time for the other guys. I realize he may not have much trade value, but at least three should-be contenders have catching issues: Milwaukee, Minnesota and Washington. Maybe now is the time to see what we can get for him, save a little money, and provide a little more playing time. I really don’t think this would hurt the big league team.

What say ye?

He's making $1.2 million. There are plenty of cheaper, 32-year-old crappy catchers out there.

Joseph has zero trade value. 

He does have three options though. We could send him down to AAA and keep him. 

Susac was hurt all ST and had knocks on his defense. I don’t think Buck would blindly ride with him. Wynns might need some more ABs in AAA. Then again he’s 27. He probably is what he is at this point. 

We’re a terrible, last place team. Joseph’s role is to help develop Sisco as much as possible. To be his mentor. For the next few months, that is worth more than a possible 100 OPS point upgrade. 

Just now, weams said:

The Orioles have the following trade pieces on their 25 man roster. 

Brad Brach
Zach Britton
Adam Jones
Jon Schoop
Manny Machado
Mark Trumbo
Richard Bleier
Mychal Givens
Chance Sisco
Trey Mancini
Kevin Gausman
Dylan Bundy
Andrew Cashner
Miguel Castro

And with that said Trumbo would require salary relief or the Comp Bal Pick

That's it. In my opinion. Maybe O'Day if he is not crippled. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

The Orioles have the following trade pieces on their 25 man roster. 

Brad Brach
Zach Britton
Adam Jones
Jon Schoop
Manny Machado
Mark Trumbo
Richard Bleier
Mychal Givens
Chance Sisco
Trey Mancini
Kevin Gausman
Dylan Bundy
Andrew Cashner
Miguel Castro

And with that said Trumbo would require salary relief or the Comp Bal Pick

That's it. In my opinion. Maybe O'Day if he is not crippled. 

But, but that’s more than half the active roster! 

Exactly.

Maybe not Sisco, though. Or, Colby Rasmus. The Bull may get some interest. I hear he plays 3B. And Danny V.

10 hours ago, Answerman said:

What say ye?

I'm not saying I would have done this, but it seems like we probably could have traded him for Matt Harvey. 

Archived