2009... Adding Two Monster FA's

Greg Pappas

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would shock me personally. Let me rephrase... would you sign him at the figures you expect he'll get?

The only way that's worth it is if it's a final piece or near-final piece to a contenting team with a good foundation. That kind of deal could pay for itself and more if it's on an 85-win team (a real, long-term 85-win team) with a hole at first base. The difference in revenues for a playoff team and a non-playoff team can be that great.

If MacPhail is 100% serious about dumping most of the dead weight and expiring contracts and really making a run to compete in the next two years I'd seriously consider offering him a five- or six-year deal at nearly $25M per.

I personally am not dealing in speculation.

The Orioles will make a big push for Tex...You can mark that down.

Every indication I have is the same thing. The O's will try hard for Tex this off season.

I'd also like to see them go after Dunn as well and extend Roberts.

Imagine this lineup:

1. Roberts - 2B Switch

2. Markakis - RF Left

3. Teixeira - 1B Switch

4. Dunn - DH Left

5. Huff - 3B Left

6. Wieters - C Switch

7. Scott - LF Left

8. Jones - CF Right

9. Shortstop

With a bench of Mora, Reimold, Fahey, Quiroz

All I can say is that lineup will score some runs.

By 2010 Our rotation could look like this:

Brian Matusz - Left

Jeremy Guthrie - Right

Garrett Olson - Left

Chorye Spoone - Right

Daniel Cabrera/Radhames Liz/Adam Loewen/David Hernandez/Brad Bergeson/Jake Arrieta/Troy Patton

Bullpen could include:

George Sherrill who could be a Jamie Walker type reliever instead of closer

Adam Loewen

Jim Johnson

Chris Ray

Randor Bierd

Bergeson as a ground ball guy

Albers

Sarfate

McCrory

Penn

I'd be willing to go to "war" with this group of guys in the AL East....

Every indication I have is the same thing. The O's will try hard for Tex this off season.

Imagine this lineup:

1. Roberts - 2B Switch

2. Markakis - RF Left

3. Teixeira - 1B Switch

4. Dunn - DH Left

5. Huff - 3B Left

6. Wieters - C Switch

7. Scott - LF Left

8. Jones - CF Right

9. Shortstop

Brian Matusz - Left

Jeremy Guthrie - Right

Garrett Olson - Left

Chorye Spoone - Right

Daniel Cabrera/Radhames Liz/Adam Loewen/David Hernandez/Brad Bergeson/Jake Arrieta/Troy Patton

Bullpen could include:

Adam Loewen

Jim Johnson

Chris Ray

Randor Bierd

Albers

Sarfate

McCrory

Penn

How much would you give Dunn?

Imagine this lineup:

1. Roberts - 2B Switch

2. Markakis - RF Left

3. Teixeira - 1B Switch

4. Dunn - DH Left

5. Huff - 3B Left

6. Wieters - C Switch

7. Scott - LF Left

8. Jones - CF Right

9. Shortstop

Brian Matusz - Left

Jeremy Guthrie - Right

Garrett Olson - Left

Chorye Spoone - Right

Bullpen could include:

Adam Loewen

Jim Johnson

Chris Ray

Randor Bierd

Albers

Sarfate

McCrory

Penn

It's certainly an impressive lineup, no doubt... but it seems to me that you're abandoning the rebuild... am I off in that assumption?

Huff isn't even that old.. He's barely a year ahead of Roberts, and he's been DHing since he got here. He's a good hitter with low milage, so to speak. I say keep him. He's dirt cheap if he continues to hit like this.

The three best pieces we could make a run at this year, in order of importance, are: Texiera, Furcal (maybe older now, but he's still really, REALLY good when he's healthy), and Dunn. If we only get one of the three, ok, we're still much better off than we are right now. Can we get two of them? Yeah, I think so. Not unrealistic to me.

Getting all three of them would immediately put us into contention. This would be different than O's FA signings of the past 10 years. We'd be getting some big time guys to complete our roster, not start it. That would be huge!

It's certainly an impressive lineup, no doubt... but it seems to me that you're abandoning the rebuild... am I off in that assumption?

Not to put words in Tony's mouth but I don't think it is really abdoning the rebuild, just accelerating. AM has always said that he wants to build through pitching and defense and then pay for hitting. We would have a cheap entirely home grown (minus Guthrie & Sherrill) rotation and bullpen, in this day and age thats pretty damn impressive.

The only real sticky point is the pitching good enough without a real ace?

Not to put words in Tony's mouth but I don't think it is really abdoning the rebuild, just accelerating. AM has always said that he wants to build through pitching and defense and then pay for hitting. We would have a cheap entirely home grown (minus Guthrie & Sherrill) rotation and bullpen, in this day and age thats pretty damn impressive.

The only real sticky point is the pitching good enough without a real ace?

The White Sox didn't have a true ace in 2005. They had 4 or 5 #2 guys though. Nothing wrong with that at all.

You gotta think though: the D-Backs won in 2001 almost entirely beause of Schill and the Unit. Those guys just dominated the Yankees. It's tough to beat a team in a 5 or 7 game series when you se an ace almost every game.

Huff isn't even that old.. He's barely a year ahead of Roberts, and he's been DHing since he got here. He's a good hitter with low milage, so to speak. I say keep him. He's dirt cheap if he continues to hit like this.

The three best pieces we could make a run at this year, in order of importance, are: Texiera, Furcal (maybe older now, but he's still really, REALLY good when he's healthy), and Dunn. If we only get one of the three, ok, we're still much better off than we are right now. Can we get two of them? Yeah, I think so. Not unrealistic to me.

Getting all three of them would immediately put us into contention. This would be different than O's FA signings of the past 10 years. We'd be getting some big time guys to complete our roster, not start it. That would be huge!

Exactly! We have a young foundation of pitchers and a few position players that, with the addition of a couple established position players, will push us over the top. I just hope the pitching develops as we all hope it will.

Archived