Belliard

gallden

I know he's a regular and he has a right to express his opinion but it's trolling. There is absolutely no need for him to respond in a reactionary thread where O's fans are venting about a heartbreaking loss.

And for the record I don't really have a problem with what Beliard did. I can't say I like it but it was no different than what you would see from a majority of MLB players who did the same thing in the same situation these days.

Wait a second now.

Apparently we both feel Belliard's behavior "was no different than what you would see from a majority of MLB players who did the same thing in the same situation these days."

But I'm trolling and you're not?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone who is objective and watches a lot of baseball, knows that the reaction of Belliard was not typical or even something you see a lot of guys do. I'm sure it's been done but I'd chalk it up as rare, and there's a reason for that. Let's get real here. Sure, I've seen guys stand at the plate and admire their homeruns before they circle the bases. BUT, staring down the pitcher is COMPLETELY different thing.

It's not so much the staring as the spitting that grinds my gears.

I know he's a regular and he has a right to express his opinion but it's trolling. There is absolutely no need for him to respond in a reactionary thread where O's fans are venting about a heartbreaking loss.

If there's no need for a poster to be posting in a thread, I suggest we leave it up to the moderators to take care of that. I'm going to guess they're not going to forbid people without pro-Orioles biased opinions to post in a thread, regardless of if it comes with a disclaimer as to the nature of said thread.

As for Belliard, I don't like the stare-down. However, from Belliard's explanation I can see why he would act like that. And while I don't like it, it's not necessarily a bad thing if it gets the O's fired up.

Anyone who is objective and watches a lot of baseball, knows that the reaction of Belliard was not typical or even something you see a lot of guys do. I'm sure it's been done but I'd chalk it up as rare, and there's a reason for that. Let's get real here. Sure, I've seen guys stand at the plate and admire their homeruns before they circle the bases. BUT, staring down the pitcher is COMPLETELY different thing.

It reminds me of when Sheffield stared down Cabrera.

So if someone were to hit a game winning homerun off Kerry Wood, start walking around the bases, look at Wood, spit on the ground, and then proceed to jog around the bases, you'd have absolutly no objections? Be honest.

I'd be pissed the Cubs lost.

And a part of me would be pissed that this sort of behavior is commonplace in MLB these days.

Unfortunately, it is commonplace.

If you retaliated every time a guy did something like this, your whole pitching staff would be suspended.

And FWIW, the whole "staredown-and-spit" take is a dramatic reach. I saw him launch an innocent little between-the-teether as he was watching the flight of the ball. Lots of guys do that, too.

It reminds me of when Sheffield stared down Cabrera.

But once again, there's a difference between staring down a person and spitting in their general direction. Spitting is pretty much the ultimate sign of disrespect. That's why what Roberto Alomar did was so reprehensible.

I'd be pissed the Cubs lost.

And a part of me would be pissed that this sort of behavior is commonplace in MLB these days.

Unfortunately, it is commonplace.

If you retaliated every time a guy did something like this, your whole pitching staff would be suspended.

And FWIW, the whole "staredown-and-spit" take is a dramatic reach. I saw him launch an innocent little between-the-teether as he was watching the flight of the ball. Lots of guys do that, too.

Thank you for getting back to me. While I disagree, I appreciate you answering my question.

Players get "intentionally" walked all the time by a pitcher, to try and get to the worse player. In this case, the worse player (Belliard) had hit less home runs than Young had. The second player does have a right to be mad about that, and a home run is like a nail in the coffin to the pitcher.

However, when someone like Belliard stares down Sherrill, SPITS in his direction( which I consider the worst), and slowly plods halfway to first base, it is way too much and utterly disrespectful. The point of intentional walks is to get to a worse batter. It either works, or it doesn't and the batter gets revenge. Belliard's behavior during the hit, and even after in that interview were classless IMO.

But once again, there's a difference between staring down a person and spitting in their general direction. Spitting is pretty much the ultimate sign of disrespect. That's why what Roberto Alomar did was so reprehensible.

Spitting from 50 feet away in someone's direction and spitting ON someone are two totally different things.

Luke Scott would not do that. Nick Markakis would not do that. Adam Jones would not do that.

Guess we don't have enough Thug lifestyle in Baltimore.

Exactly. Well said Weams to say that the majority of players would do that is IMO disrespectful to likes of the classy guys in the leagues like Wright, DLee, and the guys from the O's that Weams mentioned, I could go on.

If he hadn't have spouted off post game about how he felt about Sherril pitching around Young to get to him, you might be right. Put the two together and it's not even a slight reach to think he was staring down Sherill and spitting in disrespect.

Exactly. Well said Weams to say that the majority of players would do that is IMO disrespectful to likes of the classy guys in the leagues like Wright, DLee, and the guys from the O's that Weams mentioned, I could go on.

Gallden,

If you have anything to say to me, you can come to the Nats stadium and say it to my face.

Hugs & Kisses,

Ronnie Belliard

Sorry bud, I couldn't resist. :D

Archived