Belliard

gallden

Belliard definitely showed up Sherrill, but he also crushed a walk-off no-doubt-about-it HR to win the game. He's got every right to do exactly what he did, and I wouldn't expect any different out of most of our guys.

I definitely think if they were playing again tomorrow that Belliard would wear one in the hip, but it wasn't such an insult that I think they'll worry about it when they play next season.

I'd dispute that bolded part. He barely kept it fair.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still a bit perplexed.

Belliard had his Oakley's on, so we don't really know specifically what he was looking at. Was he looking at Sherrill? Was he looking at the ball fly out of the stadium?

What was he spitting at? Was he spitting at Sherrill? Was his spit the "exclamation mark", sort of a "hell yeah!" kind of thing? Whats the message behind the spit?

Feels like we haven't had much to get upset and up in arms about lately, so this has been blown out of proportion.

Belliard had his Oakley's on, so we don't really know specifically what he was looking at. Was he looking at Sherrill? Was he looking at the ball fly out of the stadium?

What was he spitting at? Was he spitting at Sherrill? Was his spit the "exclamation mark", sort of a "hell yeah!" kind of thing? Whats the message behind the spit?

Feels like we haven't had much to get upset and up in arms about lately, so this has been blown out of proportion.

Spit is such a difficult language to comprehend, isn't it? ;)

Also, these guys spit all the time, its usually not even a actual decision, just a reaction. Like when Adam Jones made that awesome catch running into the wall earlier this year and in mid-jump blew a bubble with his gum. I've seen Jeter do the same thing, blow a bubble while running the bases trying to stretch a single into a double. If they can blow bubbles without thinking about it, I'm sure they can spit just the same.

I think people are really overreacting to Belliard's reaction to hitting that HR.

Also, these guys spit all the time, its usually not even a actual decision, just a reaction. Like when Adam Jones made that awesome catch running into the wall earlier this year and in mid-jump blew a bubble with his gum. I've seen Jeter do the same thing, blow a bubble while running the bases trying to stretch a single into a double. If they can blow bubbles without thinking about it, I'm sure they can spit just the same.

I think people are really overreacting to Belliard's reaction to hitting that HR.

Bingo bango :)

It really is, apparently.

It's not like he pulled an Alomar. Spit at from 60 feet away, whatever. Spit on from 6 inches away, whole different story.

My take on it is...whatever. I think Belliard's actions were pretty classless overall, but I'm more angry that we lost the game. It just about ruined my Sunday. Damn the O's for making me care so much.

As I've said ad nauseum at this point, I really wouldn't have thought twice about the staring and spitting, and chalked it up to grandstanding and involuntary expectoral reactions, but his post gamer sort of put it in to context and I really think he was giving Sherrill the business for his own perceived slight.

Alfonso Soriano spits like every 5 seconds, whether he's in the middle of homering, striking out, running the bases, or just standing around. Seriously, he'll spit 2 or 3 times between every pitch.

Like you said, for a lot of guys it's a habitual thing. Probably subconscious, too.

Belliard definitely showed up Sherrill, but he also crushed a walk-off no-doubt-about-it HR to win the game. He's got every right to do exactly what he did, and I wouldn't expect any different out of most of our guys.

That's the real problem, I guess. Way too many professional athletes in just about every sport these days leave the "sportsmanship" at home. I remember DeCinces' "Orioles Magic" game-winner in June of '79, and there was nothing but pure joy on his face as he rounded the bases. OK, no one was pitched around to get to Doogie, but still... Show a little class, enjoy what YOU accomplished instead of rubbing it in to your opponent. Don't they still teach that in Little League?

Alfonso Soriano spits like every 5 seconds, whether he's in the middle of homering, striking out, running the bases, or just standing around. Seriously, he'll spit 2 or 3 times between every pitch.

Like you said, for a lot of guys it's a habitual thing. Probably subconscious, too.

I spit too. I just try not to do it in a disrespectful way.

I haven't played baseball since high school, so I'm a little out of touch with the on-field vibe. I do, however, play a lot of soccer. If an opponent scored, started walking, stared at my keeper, and spit, I think I'd be a tad bit ticked off. I'd get in his face and say something right away, then someone on my team would wreck shop the first real chance they had.

If someone had yelled out "don't mark the guy, he's terrible" I could understand a little staring or a comment. Somehow I doubt Trembley yelled to Sherrill "walk the tying run and pitch to the fat guy. He can't hit a lick!"

If someone had yelled out "don't mark the guy, he's terrible" I could understand a little staring or a comment. Somehow I doubt Trembley yelled to Sherrill "walk the tying run and pitch to the fat guy. He can't hit a lick!"

If Trembley had said that, Sherrill would've just pitched to Young. :P

Archived