George...COME ON

OsandBohs11

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utterly idiotic pitch selection and placement by Ramon Hernandez. As soon as I saw him go down and in I was like, "No way!"

Sherrill throws two sliders down and in and had guys swinging through high fastballs all day. Olivio is a pull hitter. A Single-A moron catcher knows to call the fastball away after the first two pitches.

Yes, George Sherrill shares the blame for not being smart enough to shake off a ridiculous pitch selection. But I repeat, this is the exact reason why a lot of pitchers don't like being caught by Ramon. His stupid pitch selections are part of his legacy and this one just blew the second straight game.

Utterly idiotic pitch selection and placement by Ramon Hernandez. As soon as I saw him go down and in I was like, "No way!"

Sherrill throws two sliders down and in and had guys swinging through high fastballs all day. Olivio is a pull hitter. A Single-A moron catcher knows to call the fastball away after the first two pitches.

Yes, George Sherrill shares the blame for not being smart enough to shake off a ridiculous pitch selection. But I repeat, this is the exact reason why a lot of pitchers don't like being caught by Ramon. His stupid pitch selections are part of his legacy and this one just blew the second straight game.

I understand your frustration Tony, but Sherrill is still the one who has to throw the pitch HE chooses to throw. Not only that, you can't throw a fat strike like that 0-2, especially for the third straight curve. That last pitch has to be in the dirt.

It's amazing how a lot of the homers in the game thread are already chalking this up as Sherrill being overworked and having a dead arm.

He failed to execute, two nights in a row now. And all year he's run into trouble due to his wildness and tendency to give up fly balls. I kinda sorta saw this coming.

Any other year I wouldn't say this, but with Johnson pitching as well as he has I think he's our best option at closer this year. And this isn't a reactionary opinion, i've thought this for a few weeks now.

I love having Sherrill on our team and I think he's a key guy in the clubhouse and flat breezy has been fun and all, but I just don't think he's the ideal guy to be in the closer role.

Blast away...

Well said Tony. I blame it on both of them, but Ramon should have been smart enough to call for a different pitch. Sherrill usually throws the ball off the plate when he doesn't need to throw strikes, like that situation. I blame Ramon more than George.

Well said Tony. I blame it on both of them, but Ramon should have been smart enough to call for a different pitch. Sherrill usually throws the ball off the plate when he doesn't need to throw strikes, like that situation. I blame Ramon more than George.

But if Ramon has such a reputation of pitchers not wanting to pitch to him then why don't they take some initiative and shake off a bad pitch selection?

Ultimately the blame has to go to George tonight, he didn't make the pitch. I think he'd tell you that as well. Not only was it a poor pitch selection, but it was right down the middle, knee high.

Here come the homers for Sherrill...It was inevitable.

I hope he can get things together and have a solid month of July...I hope he doesn't go to the AS game...He needs rest.

DT is handling him poorly and he knows it.

I must say, i haven't had confidence we would win this game as soon as they let them cut it to 5-3.

Hopefully we can pull this one out.

I understand your frustration Tony, but Sherrill is still the one who has to throw the pitch HE chooses to throw. Not only that, you can't throw a fat strike like that 0-2, especially for the third straight curve. That last pitch has to be in the dirt.

I agree that Sherrill gets part of the blame, but Hernandez can't possibly think a third straight slider in the exact same spot is a good idea. Not only is it not a good idea anytime, but especially after Sherrill just gave up a home run the previous day on the same pitch in the same location.

A catcher's job is to understand the flow of the game, the hitter, the pitcher, and the situation. A could find about thousand high school catchers who are smarter than to call that pitch in that location. If Sherrill misses on a low inside slider to a right-handed batter he's got a good chance of doing exactly what he just did.

Was it a bad pitch by Sherrill, sure. Is Sherrill pretty darn stupid for not shaking him off, absolutely, but Hernandez just cemented his reputation as a poor pitch caller.

But if Ramon has such a reputation of pitchers not wanting to pitch to him then why don't they take some initiative and shake off a bad pitch selection?

Ultimately the blame has to go to George tonight, he didn't make the pitch. I think he'd tell you that as well. Not only was it a poor pitch selection, but it was right down the middle, knee high.

I agree with the fact that ultimately, Sherrill does bare the responsibility. But, if you notice, he doesn't shake off his catchers much. Hernandez set up his pitcher to fail.

I agree with the fact that ultimately, Sherrill does bare the responsibility. But, if you notice, he doesn't shake off his catchers much. Hernandez set up his pitcher to fail.

I think we're on the same page, it's hard to argue with the point you're making.

I just don't understand why if Ramon has such a bad reputation in this area, that pitchers don't shake him off more?

It's amazing how a lot of the homers in the game thread are already chalking this up as Sherrill being overworked and having a dead arm.

He failed to execute, two nights in a row now. And all year he's run into trouble due to his wildness and tendency to give up fly balls. I kinda sorta saw this coming.

Any other year I wouldn't say this, but with Johnson pitching as well as he has I think he's our best option at closer this year. And this isn't a reactionary opinion, i've thought this for a few weeks now.

I love having Sherrill on our team and I think he's a key guy in the clubhouse and flat breezy has been fun and all, but I just don't think he's the ideal guy to be in the closer role.

Blast away...

You won't get a blast from me. If Loewen is ineffective, they might want to consider using Sherrill against the tough lefties again or in the Jamie Walker role. Johnson can close for me right now, but the problem is replacing Johnson as the main setup guy. Maybe Sherrill can take that role but right now, I don't want him facing a tough right-hander.

Archived