George...COME ON

OsandBohs11

No offense, but if you are going to disagree with me, perhaps you should be freakin' paying close attention. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I think you just try to follow me around and disagree for the sake of disagreeing. in this caase, you just make yourself looking foolish by saying you didn't have a problem with pitch selection (thus disagreeing with my main point), the go about saying you weren't really paying attention and then ask if Ramon gave a location?

Goodness gracious, buy a clue before you post. :eektf::eektf:

I was reading while I had it on the same computer screen. I saw like on the corner of my eye and then watched the replay. I didn't see the signs Ramon gave. That is why I asked if he gave location i.e tapped his glove on the ground or move the mitt inside or something of that nature.

I am not trying to disagree with you. The only other time I remember even quoting you is about Bedard in the media.

I didn't have a problem with a 3rd slider in that situation. Sherrill seemed to have just missed his location which is the problem. That ball is going to be a HR in that location whether it is a fastball or slider.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From my playing days there is a better chance a fastball is coming if a pitcher shakes off the pitch.

No idea how you would support this idea. Not sure if your experience is any more advanced than mine. I pitched in HS, and I can tell you that I was just as likely to shake off the 1 as the 2.

BINGO!!!!!!!

Some of the same guys complaining about the pitch selection would complain if a fastball was thrown and hit for a homerun. They'd say, why the heck would you throw a fastball when he looked silly on two breaking pitches.

No, they would not and this is an idiotic statement!!! If you can't comprehend the reasoning as to why Hernandez should not have called three straight sliders in the same spot then i can't help you.

Frankly, I'm surprised at this unintelligent post from you. You act if guys like myself an VAtech are some reactionary fans who have no clue how this game is played.

Per Roch...

George Sherrill gave up a game-tying homer to Miguel Olivo in the ninth inning with two outs and an 0-2 count.

Then he vented.

After striking out Billy Butler to end the inning, Sherrill tossed the gum out of his mouth as he marched to the dugout. Before heading down the steps, he fired his glove into the first row of seats.

A few seconds later, a plastic bucket filled with pieces of chewing gum went flying onto the field. We can only assume Sherrill did the honors.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/roch/blog/2008/06/the_meltdown.html

No idea how you would support this idea. Not sure if your experience is any more advanced than mine. I pitched in HS, and I can tell you that I was just as likely to shake off the 1 as the 2.

I use to catch in summer/fall leagues. I found that most pitchers would shake off breaking stuff more than fastballs. Of course after now thinking about it summer/fall league pitchers vs MLB pitchers is apples v oranges.

Nice Tony. Good example. Way to argue a point.

Ok. You and VaTech are the only two guys who know anything. Case closed.

Especially the night after he did the same thing and got burnt.

Some people need to wake up and smell the coffee. I was making the same argument yesterday and got similar reactions.

It's one thing to have a different opinion, but baiting people into an argument with stupid ass statements like "the same people would be complaining if he threw a fastball" is just ridiculous.

Poor pitch selection or not, Sherrill hung it in the middle of the plate and deserves the blame for throwing an awful pitch.

Ramon may have called a bad pitch(i think that is up for debate) but Ramon certainly didn't ask Sherrill to put it on a tee either.

No, they would not and this is an idiotic statement!!! If you can't comprehend the reasoning as to why Hernandez should not have called three straight sliders in the same spot then i can't help you.

Frankly, I'm surprised at this unintelligent post from you. You act if guys like myself an VAtech are some reactionary fans who have no clue how this game is played.

Am I going crazy? When does a catcher EVER call a belt high slider?

I use to catch in summer/fall leagues. I found that most pitchers would shake off breaking stuff more than fastballs. Of course after now thinking about it summer/fall league pitchers vs MLB pitchers is apples v oranges.

Of course, I was just as likely to shake off either pitch mostly because sometimes I wasn't exactly sure where they would end up. ;)

This is how it works, fellas:

1. Pitch number one: slider. Result: swing. Batter may not have expected it.

2. Pitch number two: slider. Result: swing. Batter may not have expected it, but knows what it looks like, and is now adjusted to the speed.

3. Pitch number three: slider. Result: home run. Batter may not have expected it, but KNEW what it look like, has ADJUSTED, and just crushed it.

Dumb move by Ramon. Dumb move by George.

Get 'em next time fellas, but this is absolutely terrible 2 games in a row. Bench Ramon for having his head in his butt.

Archived