52 members have voted

1. 1. Should every team be represented?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but expand the rosters to 35 players

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, but I can't agree with the notion that a man who took a team to the World Series would only do as good a job as million of fans -- many of whom couldn't pick Prince Fielder or Chase Utley out of a police line-up.

When you ask a million biased fans to make a selection the biases are largely canceled out and you get, for the most part, good selections. If 400,000 Reds fans vote for Norris Hopper that's canceled out with 400,000 Oriole fans voting for Jay Payton, or something like that.

With one manager and the coaching staff he hand-picked there's no guarantee of anything washing out his biases.

When you ask a million biased fans to make a selection the biases are largely canceled out and you get, for the most part, good selections. If 400,000 Reds fans vote for Norris Hopper that's canceled out with 400,000 Oriole fans voting for Jay Payton, or something like that.

With one manager and the coaching staff he hand-picked there's no guarantee of anything washing out his biases.

I agree. Remember that year everyone was in an uproar when Torre picked like 9 Yankees to be on the bench?

Upon further research he named 3 NY pitchers (Gordon, Riveria, Vazquez) and two bench players (Matsui and Sheffield), but I still remember quite a bit of uproar since 3 Yankees were already starting.

So instead you get the biases of the large market teams coming to fruition while everyone else has been left out. A good example is in 2002 when Derek Jeter somehow made the team as a 4th SS when Arod, Nomar and Tejada were all significantly better.

Simple, the manager of the AS team selects his coaches who together make the final decisions.

If you subscribe to the theory that most of the time the guy managing the team will have some vested interest in the outcome of the game (read: if he made the WS last year, it stands to reason he has a shot to do it this year, save the Marlins) then it would behoove him to select the best possible team and not just throw his entire roster on there.

Let's stretch our imaginations quite a bit here. Let's imagine the O's, under Perlozzo, won the AL. So, the next year, he selects the All-Star team. Do you really want to watch an All-Star game with the likes of Freddie Bynum and Brandon Fahey comprising most of the roster? ;)

Leave the game alone.

Yes, there should be a representative from each team.

As long as the fans pick the starters- there is always a chance that a few "popular" players get chosen over a more deserving players.

It isn't perfect. But, so what, the system is "good enough". And both teams/leagues use the same system.

It isn't broke, so don't fix it.

The "best team" argument for not having a representative from one team (KC for example) is a silly argument. The "best team" is totally subjective. If having one Royal on a 32 man roster is the reason that a team loses the game- then it wasn't meant to win the game. Whose "best team" gets to play- the fans, Joe Torre's, or Joe Morgan's ?

Bud just can't win. For years he and MLB are mocked for the meaningless of the AllStar game. Now that there IS a benefit to winning the game- he is mocked again. :confused:

I am in the small minority: I liked making the AllStar game count for something.

Rather than alternating- the home field goes to the allstar winning league is a good thing, imo. It is a very small benefit (home field). Some overreact like Bud is awarding 5 outs an inning to the winning team in the WS. :rolleyes:

I voted no for the simple reason that the best teams possible can not be constructed having a player from every team. I would only guarantee the team hosting having one player and I am not really crazy with even doing that.

So you believe this meaningless exhibition should be about the best possible team? Even though it's a showcase of baseball designed to please the fans of Major League Baseball? Even if its the only time all year fans of the Royals and Mariners and Pirates get to see one of their own on a national stage? Even if there's no possible way to get any group of people to even agree as to who are the best 30 players in the league?

It's a fun little throwaway game. I say leave it alone.

I picked "Yes, but expand the rosters." However, even if they didn't expand the rosters, I would still want one rep from every team. I mean, without that rule, Roberts wouldn't be on the AS team this year, woud he? Cano was 2nd in voting, IIRC.

So you believe this meaningless exhibition should be about the best possible team? Even though it's a showcase of baseball designed to please the fans of Major League Baseball? Even if its the only time all year fans of the Royals and Mariners and Pirates get to see one of their own on a national stage? Even if there's no possible way to get any group of people to even agree as to who are the best 30 players in the league?

It's a fun little throwaway game. I say leave it alone.

It is no longer an exhibition or a throwaway game, it means the AL gets home team advantage in the World Series. ;)

Roberts would still be going--he was voted in by the players, not added by the manager to ensure that all the teams had a rep.

Do you have a link confirming this, I didn't know that kind of information was available; or are you just speculating?

From the O's site:

Roberts was voted into the All-Star Game on Sunday -- which will be held July 10 in San Francisco's AT&T Park -- by his peers, a fitting honor based on his performance thus far and a fitting coda to his long road back to recovery.

I noticed it during the selection show, as well. In the scrolling list, it noted who was selected by the manager.

Archived