Steve Goings is a Terp

ccbird

Signed for the '08 class. 6'10 260 with some upside. Considering how late it is I guess it coulda been worse. Another project but hopefully he has an impact at some point and can contribute offensively in the post.

Everybody still wants to know whats going on with Mosley. Anybody with any insider access mind throwing us a bone.

Edit: It is Goins not Goings

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scout.com is saying he is a Terp…

Rivals.com is saying not yet.. Says that:

"Steve Goins is inelligble right now, he has 10 more days of summer school to go, then has to get thru admissions, that is if he gets summer grades he needs, then has to get thru NCAA Clearinghouse, and if he does all that UM may take him at that time, which will be in August sometime, yeesh anyone saying that he has committed and UM has taken a commitment from him now, let alone a commitment from him two weeks ago, also must have Ken Bowman jumping center at CP this winter! he is not a Terp, UM has taken no commitment from him, nor have they even formally offered him yet, and it may be end of August before any of this is even taken to the next step, that is if they want him at that time and if he is qualified."[/QUOTE]

Well it's Maryland basketball so of course we got conflicting reports and never really have a commitment when we think we do. That said, when it comes to basketball Cavanaugh is wrong more than he is right so I guess I probably still believe Goins is a Terp maybe.:scratchchinhmm:

Does this mean Darden is still out of the picture? If I'm not mistaken, dont we have about a dozen scholarships available? ;)

ALso I thought this was an interesting quote about him:

"South Florida and Illinois-Chicago offered Goins scholarships, while DePaul, Kentucky and Minensota all recruited him. Because he’s a late-bloomer and late qualifier, he wasn’t highly sought on a national level. He also wears a size 18 shoe and could grow to seven feet, said his high school coach, Mike Oliver"

http://maryland.scout.com/2/766140.html

Saying the ending class is pretty strong, does not equate to stating that recruiting has gone as planned.

But even if the process was rather horrific, the end result of a:

Top 50-60 Player and Baltimore POY in Mosley…

A player that many thought had Top 40 overall ability if he stayed part of the 2009 class in Kim…

And a player Telep saw as a Top 25 National Center, and probably Top 150 player in Goins is a good class.

That's some rosy freaking glasses you are looking through.

Mosley is a solid get, if he qualifies.

Kim is very raw, you can't count what he might have become next year, because he's here now.

And guys that don't sign until July usually aren't very encouraging, to me.

The process was horrible. The end results are average or mediocre.

That's some rosy freaking glasses you are looking through.

Kim is very raw, you can't count what he might have become next year, because he's here now.

And guys that don't sign until July usually aren't very encouraging, to me.

The process was horrible. The end results are average or mediocre.

Actually you have no idea what the end result is, as not a single recruit has suited up for the Terps as of yet. Recruiting rankings do not equal court performance.

That being said - you may be completely right. This could be our worst recruiting class ever, but it may turn out to be a great class if players play up to or beyond their potential. I say let them at least play a game before you start judging "the end result" of a recruiting class (considering the end result will actually be 4 years from now).

Actually you have no idea what the end result is, as not a single recruit has suited up for the Terps as of yet. Recruiting rankings do not equal court performance.

That being said - you may be completely right. This could be our worst recruiting class ever, but it may turn out to be a great class if players play up to or beyond their potential. I say let them at least play a game before you start judging "the end result" of a recruiting class (considering the end result will actually be 4 years from now).

When have we heard this tune before? Here is the end result:

NIT...maybe

Recruiting classes, just like trades in baseball, must be judged both in the short term and long term.

Mosely is almost a sure thing to qualify. http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/mens/bal-sp.terpshoop02jul02,0,3234674.story

Williams appears to be in the tank for Mosely. I think his presence keeps Hayes on the bench. Unfortunately, that means Vasquez stays at the point. They need to get PT for Tucker and Bowie, and neither of them have enough PG skills to play the point for long stretches.

Mosley, Kim, and Goins is a pretty solid recruiting class.

Short-term, it's probably not a good class - just because Kim and Goins are probably not ready. Kim is too skinny, and Goins sounds like he's still growing into his body. But perhaps they have the potential to be good in years 2, 3, and 4 - which would be fine. I really have to see these guys before I'd go by high school scouting reports. Goins sounds surprisingly intriguing.

Saying the ending class is pretty strong, does not equate to stating that recruiting has gone as planned.

But even if the process was rather horrific, the end result of a:

Top 50-60 Player and Baltimore POY in Mosley…

A player that many thought had Top 40 overall ability if he stayed part of the 2009 class in Kim…

And a player Telep saw as a Top 25 National Center, and probably Top 150 player in Goins is a good class.

I like Kim quite a bit and think he will contribute as early as next year, and I think Goins will be a needed body in the post, but to say this class is "pretty strong" is, well, ridiculous, unless you're ranking Maryland against CAA teams.

I like Kim quite a bit and think he will contribute as early as next year, and I think Goins will be a needed body in the post, but to say this class is "pretty strong" is, well, ridiculous, unless you're ranking Maryland against CAA teams.

Well, I definitely think Maryland could kick Towson's tucus :laughlol:

I am a huge Terp fan and I have been a Gary apologist but something is rotten in College Park. Too many guys that should not have been offered wound up there. Will Bowers, Fofana Shane Walker Andre Collins etc. Then guys who are serious recruits, Gilchrest, Jeff Jones and more verbally commit then back out. They seem to have more projects than top recruits. I watched Dupree and Gregory a lot and they are needed this year but I am not sure either is a ACC player (Same with Dave Neal).

On a positive side I do think we will see better basketball out of Cliff Tucker who provides the atheletism that the back court needs. I also think Jerome Burney has a chance to make a nice contribution to the front line. Gary needs to decide if he still wants to spend the energy to recruit. He was at the top of the world when they won the National Championship but once you fall it is hard to get back up.

One last point. One of the radio shows said Darden could still announce and play in 08.

Archived