Steve Goings is a Terp

ccbird

It could be a possibility that he red shirts, but then, why bring him in rather a year early rather than leaving him at South Kent where he can play 30+ games against high level HS competition? He does need to improve his quickness and so forth, but he has excellent height and length which should help him with his perimeter defense. I suspect that we will see a lot of four guard sets or at least lineups where Milbourne plays the "four" which would open up some more time for Kim, but that's yet to be determined. My hope is that if Kim is a Terp next year, he will at least see spot minutes to provide three point shooting that is lacking in the backcourt.

Good point. That's the main reason why I really doubt he'll be red-shirted - though just being able to practice against the Terps starters would be good experience for him. I don't expect major minutes for him, but he should be on the team for depth purposes - and you never know if he might exceed expecations. I don't see him as a guard candidate, though - for the reasons that inmn mentioned.

I agree with the possibility of using Milbourne at the 4 for stretches - depending on the matchups. Yes, he lacks in size, but he's not tiny, and he'd have a huge quickness/speed advantage against college 4's. And I'm not sure we have much choice.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reasons to red-shirt him instead of sending him back to high school are:

1) Getting a head-start in school. Especially with the academic problems that seem to always be just under the surface at Maryland, getting him in class and a head-start in his classes is probably a good idea.

2) Even in practice, he'll be facing better competition. I don't follow high-school basketball too closely, but even on very high-level programs how many players actually go on to ANY college basketball? Fifty percent, at best?

In practice he'll be facing Division I talent consistantly.

3) Just getting him under program control. Why take the risk that something could happen in the additional year he is away from the university? Get him in under supervision of coaches to learn the system, trainers to keep him healthy and working out as the program wants, and everything else that gives a university's facilities an advantage over a high school's.

2) Even in practice, he'll be facing better competition. I don't follow high-school basketball too closely, but even on very high-level programs how many players actually go on to ANY college basketball? Fifty percent, at best?

In practice he'll be facing Division I talent consistantly.

FWIW, the talent level that he plays with and against is very, very high. On his team last season were guys that have already committed to Syracuse, Indiana, Rutgers, Washington, and Virginia, in addition to Kim. And that's not even counting DI players that won't wind up at major programs. They play a national schedule against the top prep schools in the country, which are loaded with mid-high major DI talent, many of which are simply basketball factories.

Of course this can't compare to what he'd see in practice, but he would definitely be in a situation where he plays enough competition to really hone his skills at the HS level, unlike a guy who plays in a County Public school league and doesn't sees maybe two or three DI players in a season.

FWIW, the talent level that he plays with and against is very, very high. On his team last season were guys that have already committed to Syracuse, Indiana, Rutgers, Washington, and Virginia, in addition to Kim. And that's not even counting DI players that won't wind up at major programs. They play a national schedule against the top prep schools in the country, which are loaded with mid-high major DI talent, many of which are simply basketball factories.

Of course this can't compare to what he'd see in practice, but he would definitely be in a situation where he plays enough competition to really hone his skills at the HS level, unlike a guy who plays in a County Public school league and doesn't sees maybe two or three DI players in a season.

Fair enough.

Archived