O's said to be interested in Hanley Ramirez

Flacco Machado

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This could be the smartest move the Orioles make this season.  Hanley could be signed for the prorated minimum and then flipped at the trade deadline to a contender for prospects.  This is a smart move and should be done.

What is stopping the contender from just signing him now?

You really think a Hanley rental gets you anything of note back?

5 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This could be the smartest move the Orioles make this season.  Hanley could be signed for the prorated minimum and then flipped at the trade deadline to a contender for prospects.  This is a smart move and should be done.

You would get a very low level prospect at best and have to pay him a couple of million dollars.  Don't see it worth the risk to bring another DH on board.  What does he provide that Valencia does not? The ability to field badly at more positions?

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What is stopping the contender from just signing him now?

You really think a Hanley rental gets you anything of note back?

Look at his April.  A player like that can get you a good prospect back.  He could sign with a contender now, I am only saying if the Orioles can sign him.  I don't think it's going to take a few million to get him, I think whoever signs him gets him for less than a million for the rest of the year.

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Look at his April.  A player like that can get you a good prospect back.  He could sign with a contender now, I am only saying if the Orioles can sign him.  I don't think it's going to take a few million to get him, I think whoever signs him gets him for less than a million for the rest of the year.

I don't think it's worth putting him on the 40 and 25 man rosters.

Hanley can pick his team. The money is irrelevant--the signing team only pays the pro-rated minimum. He could sign with any contender willing to pay the pro-rated minimum.

If he wants to sign here (and I'm not sure why he would), then why not? He could have trade value. If he proves not to, cut him. It's a lost season, why not try anything that might bring back even a minor prospect.

47 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

You know what that means.

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it's worth putting him on the 40 and 25 man rosters.

Why?   There are half a dozen guys I would cut off the 25 man roster with absolutely no concern whatsoever?

Not that I'm advocating Ramirez.   I honestly think every move we make from now on should be a move looking towards the future.   And improving team defense and the abundance of DH types.   So this is absolutely not a move I would want to make.   But the possibility of losing a Gentry or an Alvarez or a Wright is way, way down on my list of issues I would have with signing Ramirez.

I agree with your other post, however.   If a contender could sign him right now, but they do not and he winds up signing with the Orioles, I have little expectation we would get anything at all for him.   The market for bat-only guys has completely cratered.

Maybe the news about internal discussions were leaked to create a negative firestorm against the move?  I'm hoping just one of the many heads of leadership brought up the idea and one of the others leaked it to pour water on the idea. 

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Why do you assume he would play for less than a million.  He has made 159 million in his career.  I am guessing if no one wants to pay him more than league minimum he retires.

Archived