2018 Orioles Draft Tracker

55 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Perhaps so. We know many of the same people, so I will make some inquiries to try to find out what happened. I do not know him well, though we are fairly close to some of his teammates. I wonder if it is a shoulder and not the elbow. Not sure what the Braves think about rehabbing a guy and taking a chance on him. The Nats have that track record of taking medical risks, which is what I alluded to in he previous post. 

Its a little surprising, though, because the kid was in a program year round that is really excellent for pitchers to grow without being overused. They had several stud pitchers there in Brevard County the last several years. Stewart’s teammate, their #2 starter, is a Florida signee, RHP Nick Pogue. Remember that name. He will be a top pick in three years. A little raw now, but he has been handled extremely well through the years.

As a side rant, related somewhat, I suspect that the world of amateur scouting is what is actually to blame for these kids’ demise. All of the damn showcases are year round now. Kids burn out, plain and simple. The pitchers get little rest. Being fresh out of that grind, I can tell you I will do things differently with my younger son. They killed my son’s love of the game. And as far as I know, Carter never had arm or shoulder issues. They have to do something about this crap. It is killing the game. At least take the fall off. 

Braves offered him 47% of slot. To protect their pick. What I am saying is I think that will be his best offer. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

As a side rant, related somewhat, I suspect that the world of amateur scouting is what is actually to blame for these kids’ demise. All of the damn showcases are year round now. Kids burn out, plain and simple. The pitchers get little rest. Being fresh out of that grind, I can tell you I will do things differently with my younger son. They killed my son’s love of the game. And as far as I know, Carter never had arm or shoulder issues. They have to do something about this crap. It is killing the game. At least take the fall off. 

That and the fact that all pitchers break. And some can't be fixed. 

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 11:17 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

Grenier and losing a pick for Cobb is really making this draft class look bad overall. 

It’s all about GrayRod, in the end.   Rom had a good year.   Those are the only two in the OH top 30.    There’s a few others I wouldn’t write off just yet.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yes. That’s less than 25 million a season on average. Even though the years are a bit long. That’s the going rate for these type of superstar players.  Maybe you can go more AAV in exchange for say a 12 year deal? But at age 22, even at 14 years he’s here until he’s what 37/38? In 10 years 25 mill per won’t be the valued at nearly the same dollar amount in terms of “paying an older possibly declining player”. That contract length also ensures that he is an Oriole for life basically. If Rubenstien’s goal is to restore the franchise’s glory instead of simply making it a competitive franchise. You cannot minimize the value of having these type of franchise cornerstone players/homegrown superstars. We basically haven’t had one (and retained) since Ripken. (Yes I know Machado was one but we let him walk and basically the same with Mussina.)
    • I was looking at the O’s stat page and noticing how high all the OPS+ numbers are.  For example, Cedric Mullins has a .736 OPS but that’s good for a 116 OPS+ right now.  So, I looked around.  Right now, the MLB average OPS is .698.  That’s down from .734 last year, and (for those thinking of a “cold weather” explanation) from .726 last April.    The O’s, on the other hand, have a .780 OPS, compared to .742 last year.  That’s 3rd in MLB and good for an MLB-leading 130 OPS+, compared to 107 last year.    I’m not sure if the hot hitting will continue, but the team has had one heck of a start offensively, in a year where the league has been pretty cold.    
    • I didn’t see Angel Hernandez listed in any of the box scores from yesterday so he may have been the replay official. That would actually be hilarious. 
    • @Tony-OH   It’s early but is Forret possibly a better prospect than DeLeon?  A year younger.  Sounds like velo is similar.  Better control?
    • I wouldn’t hesitate to give him the Witt deal. I would like to get 3 FA years.  That’s my best case scenario and after that, the opt outs start.
    • At this point Gunnar is the most valuable asset in baseball right? I guess you could argue Witt Jr or De La Cruz. I sure as heck wouldn’t trade him for anybody.
    • @Tony-OHhave you had a chance to see or hear anything about Cam Weston yet? Is there real upside or is this an older guy who's maybe more advanced than his league?
  • Popular Contributors