Who is available for LF???

bigbird

Absolutely include Cabrera for Crawford.

Crawford adds Defense (which helps our pitchers), Offense and speed on the bases to our team.

Dont get me wrong I would love to get Crawford, but dont we need some power in this lineup. Crawford only has 6 homers and has batted in the 3 hole numerous times this year. Thats simply because he is a leadoff hitter who gets on base.

Rios should be the guy we go after

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dont get me wrong I would love to get Crawford, but dont we need some power in this lineup. Crawford only has 6 homers and has batted in the 3 hole numerous times this year. Thats simply because he is a leadoff hitter who gets on base.

Rios should be the guy we go after

But Trembley said he wants to build this team on pitching and defense, so who knows what will happen.

Next year, we are looking at:

Bedard

Cabrera

Loewen

Guthrie

Olson

Penn

Burres

all being major league ready. If we traded three of them for a great LFer AND signed a big starting pitcher to be our ace, we would be in very good shape.

Cabrera, Penn and Burres for Carl Crawford

sign Carlos Zambrano

sign Aaron Rowand

Who wouldn't sign up for that?

Zambrano

Bedard

Loewen

Guthrie

Olson

Ray

Walker

Bradford

Baez

Hoey

Doyne

Hernandez

Huff

Roberts

Mora

Tejada

Crawford

Rowand

Markakis

Gomez

Payton

Still trade Gibbons, Millar, Trachsel and Patterson for good bench players (young catcher & platoon at DH). Or trade all for of them for Tex :)

I still want a big bopper in the line-up. With this line-up, we would be a 40 HR bat away from finally getting out from the ground, or at least I would hope.

I don't think the Dodgers would give up Loney, he is seen as a key offensive piece of the team as they make a run at the playoffs. Why would a team with so little offense trade a prospect that has been producing nicely for them. I see them trading pitching first, and then AAA prospects not expected to contribute this year.

Not sure if Baldelli is available because he would still be on the DL but he'd be cheaper than Crawford player wise. I'm not a big fan of Payton in CF next year. Just offer Patterson arbitration, I'm sure he won't go up $ wise any... He'd have incentive to take it and be a FA when there are less CFers on the market. CPat has saved more games with his glove than Payton has won with his bat. Payton as a 4th OFer is fine. To think he is a full time player is stupid and hopefully MacPhail sees this. MacPhail also supposedly likes Patterson so I see the scenario above as a good possiblity...

It's not your fault.

Just because a couple guys on a messageboard think Bedard is worth the sun and the moon doesn't make it so.

If the O's take the position that Bedard won't be dealt for anything less than Kemp, Loney and a third player, then Bedard won't be dealt.

Bedard's value is sky high and to deny that is fooling yourself. Some team would pay a stupid price to gain control of him. While pitching pretty blah at times this year he still has elite numbers.

BTW I would think placed in the Dodger's rotation his numbers could be just completely sick. The combination of that park reducing his Hr rate and facing the pitcher adding probably 1+ K/9 to his K rate, would lead me to expect a ERA in the low 2s with the Dodgers. Yea Dave I see why you think no team would pay a stupid price for that. :rolleyes:

All of that could be fixed with the acquisition of Crawford, correct? I dont want any platoons in CF. I want one guy, Crawford is my pick.

I don't disagree with this but getting a guy like Jones, very cheaply and pairing him with payton isn't a bad platoon situation. Now, we could get the same production for less money of course but i wouldn't mind this all that much.

I don't disagree with this but getting a guy like Jones, very cheaply and pairing him with payton isn't a bad platoon situation. Now, we could get the same production for less money of course but i wouldn't mind this all that much.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just see Crawford as a long term solution and a Payton/Jones platoon as a short term fix...

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just see Crawford as a long term solution and a Payton/Jones platoon as a short term fix...
Crawford is a long term solution however it is not a definite that he is available and he will cost a fortune and we will have to compete with many teams to get him.

So, because of that you have to look at other options and a Jones/Payton platoon is much better than pissing away money on a guy like Hunter.

Bedard's value is sky high and to deny that is fooling yourself. Some team would pay a stupid price to gain control of him. While pitching pretty blah at times this year he still has elite numbers.

BTW I would think placed in the Dodger's rotation his numbers could be just completely sick. The combination of that park reducing his Hr rate and facing the pitcher adding probably 1+ K/9 to his K rate, would lead me to expect a ERA in the low 2s with the Dodgers. Yea Dave I see why you think no team would pay a stupid price for that. :rolleyes:

The Dodgers are 10th in the NL in runs scored, but 3rd in starters' ERA.

So you'll need to explain to me how the Dodgers would be better now, or ever, by taking away two of the better bats from an anemic offense, and replacing them with a guy that pitches once every 5 days.

Your plan would have the Dodgers losing a lot of 3-1, 2-0 type games on days when Bedard pitches. (Well every day, actually.)

I dont know. Jones is not having a good season at all this year and I wouldnt want to go after him. If Jones wants to come here and platoon with Payton then fine, Payton can hit against lefties and Jones against righties. But I really dont think both of them would be up for that.

Crawford is a long term solution however it is not a definite that he is available and he will cost a fortune and we will have to compete with many teams to get him.

So, because of that you have to look at other options and a Jones/Payton platoon is much better than pissing away money on a guy like Hunter.

Well atleast we both agree that Hunter is a bad idea. I see your points, all of which are valid and I agree with them. I guess I'm just hoping that for once the O's dont take the quick, easy and cheap way out and actually compete for a player and pay the man. I guess If I was honest I have never been a fan of the platoon, although it has been pointed out on here the advantages of platoons at certain times. That coupled with the fact that I dont know how I feel about Jones OR Payton, and the fact that if one of the goes on the DL, the other for a time would presumably have to become the full time CF'er for a while has me a bit hesitant.

I think the thing to do is go after the guys who have really lost value.

Crisp and Baldelli are 2 guys i would target.

I still think a Ray/Burres type deal may entice the DRays. if they do indeed want to trade Rocco, no contender is likely to give up this for a guy who won't even start playing until August.

Now, the DRays are also likely to just hold onto Baldelli but if they are afraid he won't even stay healthy, it may be worth it to them to trade him now.

Burres would be their third best starter and Ray would be a cheap, young closer for them...Also makes it easier for them to trade Reyes or even keep Reyes and put Ray in the set up role for now.

I would also think you could Crisp cheaply. He is banged up again and the Sox have called Ellsbury up...Crisp may have no position on the team anymore.

Archived