What’s the consensus about Schoop?

InsideCoroner

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

April 14.    But he didn’t hit well before the injury, either.   

You are really using those whole  61AB's before the injury as something even worth mentioning?

He got hurt. Is still hurt trying to play through it, with an injury that notoriously has destroyed hitters when they get it. This isn't really that hard. 

Of course in this climate everyone just sucks, so I shouldn't be surprised. 

8 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Amidst the wreckage of a train carrying burning Dumpsters that is our 2018 season, Jonathan Schoop’s slow start has gone pretty much under the radar amidst so many underachievers.

I haven’t had the chance (or gone out of my way) to watch many full games, but he looked so good last year. So far in ‘18 his line drive/hard hit ball numbers are down, pop-ups are way up, walk rate is down — not that it was ever very high to begin with — and he’s basically playing at replacement level, like he’s turned into Ryan Goins. Is the feeling that he’s still dealing with his oblique strain from April? Or is he just pressing like several others?

It’s doubtful he extends after Manny leaves. Deal him if he’s hot at the deadline 

1 hour ago, TradeAngelos said:

You are really using those whole  61AB's before the injury as something even worth mentioning?

He got hurt. Is still hurt trying to play through it, with an injury that notoriously has destroyed hitters when they get it. This isn't really that hard. 

Of course in this climate everyone just sucks, so I shouldn't be surprised. 

I’m not saying you’re wrong that his oblique is still bothering him, but we certainly haven’t been told that, nor have I really seen any signs that he’s favoring it.    And sure I’m going to cite his performance in his first 61 at bats, because it’s nearly identical to his performance since then.   

Just now, Fuzzball22 said:

Just curious, what do you think the terms should be?

Don't know off the top of my head and not willing to do a lot of math. 

I certainly wouldn't be paying him as if I expected a return to 2017 form.

I don't think he'd sign the deal I'd offer.

14 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Unfortunately, I think the O's need to trade him if he can build a market for himself in the next few weeks.  If he resigns, I only see it happening if the O's extend a qualifying offer following an average season next year, much like Wieters.

I don't see him as having trade value.   He is worse than replacement and is making 8.5 million.   I wanted the Orioles to trade him in the off season when he just had his career year. No way I would extend QO to him as that would be gross overpay for a guy with career 745 OPS.

1 hour ago, Fuzzball22 said:

Before this season people were saying we should be trying to extend Schoop. Do we still think that is the best thing to do?

Overall I don't think he is worth a long term deal.   Plus he skips Fan events.   Really I wouldn't offer arbitration next year if we can't deal him.   Less than 300 career OBP doesn't cut it as second baseman. 

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing if one poster thinks he's a potential non-tender that we are not going to reach a consensus about Schoop.

Agreed, although any majority opinion would have fit my definition. I just didn’t know if there was general talk about him on the broadcasts or such that I missed. Apparently not, and everyone seems equally unsure about the reasons behind his regression.

Non-tendering Schoop, though... Leave it to OH to continually shock and amaze me.

Archived