Adam Loewen leaves with possible injury?

Baltimore_Bob

I wouldn't consider him a bust just yet, but it's going to be awfully hard to pencil him into any future plans knowing that it's very likely that he'll be on the DL at any given time of the season.

He's a first round pick who's thrown 164 innings in three years with a 5.38 ERA. If that's not a "bust", what is?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a first round pick who's thrown 164 innings in three years with a 5.38 ERA. If that's not a "bust", what is?

Is it fair to label someone a bust because of injury issues?

I guess it is but for me a bust is someone who just doesn't perform because he is just not that good or never reaches the majors to begin with because he just isn't good.

Loewen may never get the chance to prove that one way or another.

I hope you're right. I really do.

Unfortunately, I have a sneaky suspicion that Loewen's pitching days are coming to an end.

I'm not saying the odds are good. I'm saying the odds are astronomically against Loewen being even a sufficient AA MiL outfielder.

I'm not saying the odds are good. I'm saying the odds are astronomically against Loewen being even a sufficient AA MiL outfielder.

I think you are being overdramatic here.

Many thought he should have been a top 10 pick as a hitter to begin with....He isn't that old...I think it is possible...Its not like some crazy odds like hitting the lottery or being struck by lightning like you are making it out to be.

Is it fair to label someone a bust because of injury issues?

I guess it is but for me a bust is someone who just doesn't perform because he is just not that good or never reaches the majors to begin with because he just isn't good.

Loewen may never get the chance to prove that one way or another.

A first round pick who has thrown 0 innings in his major league career.

Fair enough. But the poster implied that it is still reasonable to expect Loewen to have a successful ML career. I think the odds of this are virtually nill.

Many thought he should have been a top 10 pick as a hitter to begin with....He isn't that old...I think it is possible...Its not like some crazy odds like hitting the lottery or being struck by lightning like you are making it out to be.

People are acting like we'd just be trying to turn any random pitcher into a position player. It's been a while since Loewen has picked up a bat and used it with any regularity, but the talent that made him a possible top 1-2 round pick with the bat should still be there. Will it work? Probably not. But it's worth a shot and isn't a terribly bad idea to think it might just work.

Loewen's rookie season in 2006 wasn't very bad at all considering he was 22 years old and fresh out of AA. Did he blow the world away? No, but he showed enough to think he could be a solid piece of the rotation for the future. The last two injury ridden years have been bust worthy I guess.

You guys are dreaming if you think Loewen has a realistic chance of being a ML hitter. BTW, I don't think Loewen was a "TOP TEN" pick as a hitter. He may have been a very good hitter but show me where he would have been a top ten pick as a hitter.

Well, we drafted him #4 and some thought we should make him a hitter.

And i am not saying he is definitely going to make it but all of these injuries may make it impossible for him to be a pitcher.

Yes. Six years ago he was a two-way prospect. On the other hand, I don't remember seeing him listed as a first-round talent both ways. You'll have to post/link something backing that up in order for me to buy it. Nick was absolutely a first-round talent both ways. There was never any real question that Loewen was going to be a pitcher.

Even if he was a 1st-round talent, however (a point which I'm not conceding), I'm not sure how you discount the fact that he's spent six years focused on pitching and not on honing his craft at the plate. Whether there's talent there or not, not putting time in the cage over a long period of time only increases already long odds.

I'm not surprised that folks want to believe otherwise. But it's nutty - to me, at least - to think that there's any real chance that Loewen is going to somehow be able to rebuild a career as a position guy.

Put it this way: how many pitchers have bounced back from early-career injury issues to be decent MLers? And how many pitchers have become solid every day position players?

Well, we drafted him #4 and some thought we should make him a hitter.

And i am not saying he is definitely going to make it but all of these injuries may make it impossible for him to be a pitcher.

Who? Where? There's was never a doubt that Loewen was going to pitch, from my recollection.

As for the second bolded portion: sure. Eventually. But only when the odds of overcoming his injuries (which time may heal) become worse than the odds that a guy who hasn't played/hit at the professional level (unlike, say, Rick Ankiel, who batted in the minors and in the majors) will somehow develop into a ML caliber hitter.

We KNOW that Loewen has major league stuff. How debilitating does an injury have to be in order for us to say..."no, let's take a flier that he'll somehow overcome his career-long dormant hitting skills and offer us value as a position player"?

Yes. Six years ago he was a two-way prospect. On the other hand, I don't remember seeing him listed as a first-round talent both ways. You'll have to post/link something backing that up in order for me to buy it. Nick was absolutely a first-round talent both ways. There was never any real question that Loewen was going to be a pitcher.

Even if he was a 1st-round talent, however (a point which I'm not conceding), I'm not sure how you discount the fact that he's spent six years focused on pitching and not on honing his craft at the plate. Whether there's talent there or not, not putting time in the cage over a long period of time only increases already long odds.

I'm not surprised that folks want to believe otherwise. But it's nutty - to me, at least - to think that there's any real chance that Loewen is going to somehow be able to rebuild a career as a position guy.

Put it this way: how many pitchers have bounced back from early-career injury issues to be decent MLers? And how many pitchers have become solid every day position players?

Ankiel has done it...Why can't Loewen?

Ankiel has done it...Why can't Loewen?

Because Ankiel hit throughout his minor league career and major league career? Ankiel hit well (if erratically) as a MiLer. Plus, he got regular repetitions in the cage. How much has Loewen practiced hitting over the last six years?

Because there was evidence (some) that Ankiel stood a chance of hitting at the ML level because he'd done it? Maybe?

Do you not see the distinction?

Archived