Adam Loewen leaves with possible injury?

Baltimore_Bob

Early? That leaves a lot up to interpretation. Are you claiming that early could mean "top ten pick"?

Could...I recall people wondering if he should pitch or play the OF when we drafted him.

Either way, it doesn't matter now...It is obvious that the talent was there for some to say he could be drafted as a hitter...Since he may never be able to throw another pain free pitch again, why not see if he can play the OF and give us another hitting prospect? What exactly would we be losing?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because Ankiel hit throughout his minor league career and major league career? Ankiel hit well (if erratically) as a MiLer. Plus, he got regular repetitions in the cage. How much has Loewen practiced hitting over the last six years?

Because there was evidence (some) that Ankiel stood a chance of hitting at the ML level because he'd done it? Maybe?

Do you not see the distinction?

Some batting practice isn't the same as regular pitching....And yes he hit as a pitcher in the NL but not for that long.....Ankiel had more uses with the bat but its not so dramatic that the difference is what you are making it out to be.

Could...I recall people wondering if he should pitch or play the OF when we drafted him.

Either way, it doesn't matter now...It is obvious that the talent was there for some to say he could be drafted as a hitter...Since he may never be able to throw another pain free pitch again, why not see if he can play the OF and give us another hitting prospect? What exactly would we be losing?

I was about to say the same thing. What do we have to lose?

Loewen has no options left. The Orioles would have to gamble and expose him to irrevocable waivers in order for him to even try to make it as a position player in the minors.

I'd bet some team would ante up the $25,000 to claim Loewen. It is a very small price to pay to see if Loewen could turn it around.

From your own article:

Yes. A strong endorsement of your view of AL as a two-way top-10 prospect.

"realistically...still...a pro prospect."

Who cares if he is/was a top-10 hitting prospect?

The reality is that he is one injury away from never being a pitcher and that injury might have happened today.

What do we have to lose by putting a bat in his hands?

He's worthless as a pitching prospect in his current state.

Why not roll the dice?

Some batting practice isn't the same as regular pitching....And yes he hit as a pitcher in the NL but not for that long.....Ankiel had more uses with the bat but its not so dramatic that the difference is what you are making it out to be.

You keep telling yourself this. Seriously, I've never seen anyone convince you when you make your mind up.

If you can tell me that the cage repetitions that Ankiel got (which were more important than the 300 or so ABs he received as a MiLer) aren't more substantial than what Loewen got (maybe AL's always taken BP - has he?) then that'll be a point in your favor. I'm not sure you can.

On top of that, if you don't think that whatever talent AL might have possessed 6 years ago shouldn't be discounted due to the fact that he hasn't hit regularly since, then there's really no point discussing this. Apparently, minor-league development is mostly irrelevant. If you're a top-10 talent (if, because, again, no evidence) you can overcome the absolute absence of minor league development and be a valuable prospect again.

This is going to sound cruel (and that's not my intention), but is there anyway Loewen's "injuries" are psychosomatic?

After all, he was given a clean bill of health on his last DL stint. Something seems funny here...

He has screws in his elbow. Has there ever been a successful major league pitcher with screws in his elbow?

Jason Varitek had screws inserted in 2001. His CS percentage didn't change much - still not the same as a pitcher.

Who cares if he is/was a top-10 hitting prospect?

The reality is that he is one injury away from never being a pitcher and that injury might have happened today.

What do we have to lose by putting a bat in his hands?

He's worthless as a pitching prospect in his current state.

Why not roll the dice?

Glad to see the concept hasn't gone over YOUR head.

This is going to sound cruel (and that's not my intention), but is there anyway Loewen's "injuries" are psychosomatic?

After all, he was given a clean bill of health on his last DL stint. Something seems funny here...

I think this should probably be in the other thread - because this is absolutely a possibility. Better safe than sorry.

The folks in the other thread are completely disregarding the inverse effects of time:

Time will work to help with injury. Time works against Loewen with regard to changing to a position player.

If he can't pitch, there's nothing to lose. I think Jim and I are just saying that the odds are astronomical. Ankiel is a one in a generation kind of player. Maybe 2 generations!

Apparently, RZ, the concept has "gone over our heads."

The day that anything SG dreams up goes over my head will be the first.

Archived