Adam Loewen leaves with possible injury?

Baltimore_Bob

Ankiel has done it...Why can't Loewen?

Isn't this like seeing a neighbor win the lottery and then going out and buying 20 tickets because, hey, why can't it be you?

Ankiel was pretty clearly a special case. His first year after the move, 2005, he slugged over .500 in both A and AA. He then missed all of 2006, but still made it to the bigs in mid-2007, with less than 200 MiL games under his belt. The odds against any pitcher doing that have to be on the order of 1,000 to 1.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't this like seeing a neighbor win the lottery and then going out and buying 20 tickets because, hey, why can't it be you?

Ankiel was pretty clearly a special case. His first year after the move, 2005, he slugged over .500 in both A and AA. He then missed all of 2006, but still made it to the bigs in mid-2007, with less than 200 MiL games under his belt. The odds against any pitcher doing that have to be on the order of 1,000 to 1.

I agree the odds are against it but if he can't pitch then instead of just getting rid of him, see what he can do as a hitter.

No one in this thread, despite the reading comprehension problems some are having, has said it will definitely work and he will be successful. Just saying to try it because it may be all that we have left with him.

Again, the next time someone tells me what we have to lose will be the first time someone says it.

If Loewen's pitching days are over (and they very well might), we have two options.

1. Send him back down and convert him into a position player

2. Dump him

I agree that the odds are against him, but clearly, we have nothing to lose.

I agree the odds are against it but if he can't pitch then instead of just getting rid of him, see what he can do as a hitter.

Again, the next time someone tells me what we have to lose will be the first time someone says it.

Are we assuming he'll never throw another pitch? What you have to lose is the value of Adam Loewen discounted by the probability that he'll never pitch again.

A 24 year old LH ML starter with (at worst) mid-rotation stuff and a 15% chance of pitching again is worth more than Loewen as a 25 year old position prospect trying to hit pro pitching for the first time. By, like, an exponential amount.

Psychosomatic.... no, I do think Loewen feels something not quite right... basically the screw... and you have to trust what he feels.... but it worth noting as you did that he has received a clean bill of health from multiple docs.

After the docs saw him last he talked about having to grow used to pitching with the screw.... we will see what the next few days bring.

It is also worth noting that Tony didn't think something was right with AL.

He has elbow discomfort...The assumption is that it is the screw...Unfortunately, we all know it could be much worse.

Are we assuming he'll never throw another pitch? What you have to lose is the value of Adam Loewen discounted by the probability that he'll never pitch again.

A 24 year old LH ML starter with (at worst) mid-rotation stuff and a 15% chance of pitching again is worth more than Loewen as a 25 year old position prospect trying to hit pro pitching for the first time. By, like, an exponential amount.

If they come out and say he needs TJ surgery, then he should get a bat put in his hand.

If they come out and say it is just the screw and he needs to get over it mentally, then you keep pitching him for now.

No one in this thread, despite the reading comprehension problems some are having, has said it will definitely work and he will be successful. Just saying to try it because it may be all that we have left with him.

Is this relevant? No one has said that anyone thinks it's "definite." It's a pretty ridiculous idea, definite or otherwise. The ONLY way it works is if Loewen never throws another pain free pitch. There are two problems:

1. We have no idea, right now, if this is true.

2. We have no idea what more time will do to Loewen's arm.

It makes little sense to convert him (with such long odds) and this incomplete information.

If they come out and say he needs TJ surgery, then he should get a bat put in his hand.

If they come out and say it is just the screw and he needs to get over it mentally, then you keep pitching him for now.

What if it's somewhere in between? I mean, now that you've eliminated 5% outcomes at either end.

One thing we shouldn't do is overreact. It is way too soon for the thought of putting a bat in his hands to even cross the minds of the FO. If this is an injury that keeps him out it is certainly another big setback but patience will still be the right approach.

For those who are saying that Loewen shouldn't be turned into a hitter, I ask this... what else are we going to do with him? He clearly can't stay healthy and even when he does, he's not that good to begin with.

I don't think it's clear that he can't stay healthy. I also don't think it's clear that he won't be any good.

So I guess - having tossed those assumptions aside - we're really just talking past each other. Shocking.

For those who are saying that Loewen shouldn't be turned into a hitter, I ask this... what else are we going to do with him? He clearly can't stay healthy and even when he does, he's not that good to begin with.

And this is the other part...If he has to miss the rest of the season, this will be another year of development that he has lost.

And this is the other part...If he has to miss the rest of the season, this will be another year of development that he has lost.

Yep. Which is still outweighed by the - uh - six years of development he's lost as a hitter. Excellent point.

Yep. Which is still outweighed by the - uh - six years of development he's lost as a hitter. Excellent point.

How do you know Loewen doesn;t still work on his hitting?

Since interleague play has started, the hitters do hit in the cage...He could also be doing things in cages on his own because he enjoys it.

Look, as I said, it is a long shot but right now, him staying healthy as a starter may be an even longer shot.

Let's see how bad this recent injury is...If it is bad, i am ready to make him an OFer...If its not, stay status quo.

Archived