Adam Loewen leaves with possible injury?

Baltimore_Bob

I don't think it's clear that he can't stay healthy. I also don't think it's clear that he won't be any good.

So I guess - having tossed those assumptions aside - we're really just talking past each other. Shocking.

I'm not saying he wont be any good, he hasn't been good when healthy. And the chances of him being any good are looking less and less likely he takes the mound.

He's 24 and was a #4 overall pick and has pitched 165 innings in his career. He's never pitched more than 142 innings in one season. In the majors, his career ERA is 5.41 and his K/BB ratio is 133/104.

I've seen him pitch and he has some nasty pitches. It just doesn't look like he's going to be able to put it together.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do you know Loewen doesn;t still work on his hitting?

Since interleague play has started, the hitters do hit in the cage...He could also be doing things in cages on his own because he enjoys it.

Look, as I said, it is a long shot but right now, him staying healthy as a starter may be an even longer shot.

Let's see how bad this recent injury is...If it is bad, i am ready to make him an OFer...If its not, stay status quo.

It's not my burden to show that Loewen has somehow practiced his hitting in some amount commensurate with continued development (or, at least, maintenance of one-time skill sets). If you choose a radical change, you need to provide the evidence that shows that there's some reason to it. You don't endorse a change because you "don't know that he's not taking (some abnormal amount of) batting practice." It's an untenable logical position.

And this is the other part...If he has to miss the rest of the season, this will be another year of development that he has lost.

It would suck if he does miss the rest of the year but it is still infinitely more likely for him to bounce back and have an Al Leiter (lost 3 or 4 years of development to assorted injuries before developing into a solid MLB starter) type of career than it is for him to make it as a hitter.

I'm not saying he wont be any good, he hasn't been good when healthy. And the chances of him being any good are looking less and less likely he takes the mound.

He's 24 and was a #4 overall pick and has pitched 165 innings in his career. He's never pitched more than 142 innings in one season. In the majors, his career ERA is 5.41 and his K/BB ratio is 133/104.

I've seen him pitch and he has some nasty pitches. It just doesn't look like he's going to be able to put it together.

You need to do a more objective analysis:

What's the value of a 26 year old LH arm, out of the bullpen or otherwise? What are the odds that Loewen can become this?

What's the value of a 4th OF at the ML level? What are the odds that Loewen can become this?

If you really think that the combination of value and odds of reaching that value are better in the second set, then by all means, endorse a change. The only way I see this being true is if Loewen simply CANNOT - physically - throw another pitch.

It's not my burden to show that Loewen has somehow practiced his hitting in some amount commensurate with continued development (or, at least, maintenance of one-time skill sets). If you choose a radical change, you need to provide the evidence that shows that there's some reason to it. You don't endorse a change because you "don't know that he's not taking (some abnormal amount of) batting practice." It's an untenable logical position.

Has the part about his inability to stay healthy, throw a pitch pain free and be able to stay on the mound completely gone over your head?

This idea is totally predicated around those concepts and the idea that he was highly regarded as a hitter in high school.

Has the part about his inability to stay healthy, throw a pitch pain free and be able to stay on the mound completely gone over your head?

This idea is totally predicated around those concepts and the idea that he was highly regarded as a hitter in high school.

SG - you've supplied reason for HALF of the equation. Not for the half about development as a hitter. That was the context of my post. For someone who keeps referring to reading comprehension, you sure fail to take full measure of other folks' comments. Of course, your poor spelling and twisted logic should've been fair warning that you know not whereof you speak.

This is the second time you've remarked about things going over my head. If you want to get in a p1ss1ng contest about IQ, I'm okay with that. I'd rather not. But I'm not really all that intimidated.

SG - you've supplied reason for HALF of the equation. Not for the half about development as a hitter. That was the context of my post. For someone who keeps referring to reading comprehension, you sure fail to take full measure of other folks' comments. Of course, your poor spelling and twisted logic should've been fair warning that you know not whereof you speak.

This is the second time you've remarked about things going over my head. If you want to get in a p1ss1ng contest about IQ, I'm okay with that. I'd rather not. But I'm not really all that intimidated.

Ahh yes, I am supposed to be intimidated by the ambulance chaser...OOOO, im really terrified...BTW, way to try and divert the coversation away from baseball...That's actually a smart move on your part.

As for his development as a hitter...I have addressed that it would be a long shot but if he can't pitch any longer, I would rather see him get a shot at hitting then just releasing him or whatever.

How about we wait until we hear what the elbow issue is before we start hopping on the "Loewen is the next Ankiel" train?

This is why my original was comment was I am ALMOST READY to put the bat in his hand.

It is also why I have said if his elbow is fine, that this is pointless.

LJ is the one being senstive(big surprise there) and trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

How about we wait until we hear what the elbow issue is before we start hopping on the "Loewen is the next Ankiel" train?

Heh, good point. But even if the news ends up being bad the train to hop on is the one where Loewen is the next Al Leiter rather than the next Ankiel.

Archived