Jay Payton's middle finger

Gofannon

Well, thanks to Jay Payton, I got to explain to my 5 year old what giving the finger to someone means.

After Payton popped out to second to end the fifth inning, he returned to left field. A fan behind me yelled "Way to get a clutch hit, Payton", at which point Payton put his middle finger against the back of his hat for all to see. This prompted a shout of "Nice PR, Payton", a bunch of commotion from the fans, and the question from my son.

Now, I'm not suggesting I wouldn't have to answer the same question from my son the next time I drive on the Jersey Turnpike. I've also been given the finger by Rickey Henderson (better left fielders than you, Jay Payton!) and was at Memorial Stadium when Bert Blyleven made two obscene gestures while leaving the field.

I've just never seen that from a home player before. Sure, Payton was subtle, more subtle than Doug Jones was a decade ago when he got into it with the fans. But what a classless way to handle himself. It was one comment, for crying out loud. I'm sure it's frustrating to fail with runners in scoring position, but you can't get rabbit ears out there.

For a guy who has talked before about "playing the game the right way" (a way that must involve swinging at every first pitch), he sure didn't seem to care about carrying himself the right way.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regardless of the middle finger... I am just ready for Payton to not be an Oriole any more.

Aren't we all? At the very least I hope Trembley reads about this on the OH, reads Jay the riot act about being unprofessional and disrespecting the game and the fans, and then buries his arse on the bench for a good long time. One thing I will say for Luke Scott, I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry about him teaching your kids obscenities in LF.

Well, thanks to Jay Payton, I got to explain to my 5 year old what giving the finger to someone means.

After Payton popped out to second to end the fifth inning, he returned to left field. A fan behind me yelled "Way to get a clutch hit, Payton", at which point Payton put his middle finger against the back of his hat for all to see. This prompted a shout of "Nice PR, Payton", a bunch of commotion from the fans, and the question from my son.

Now, I'm not suggesting I wouldn't have to answer the same question from my son the next time I drive on the Jersey Turnpike. I've also been given the finger by Rickey Henderson (better left fielders than you, Jay Payton!) and was at Memorial Stadium when Bert Blyleven made two obscene gestures while leaving the field.

I've just never seen that from a home player before. Sure, Payton was subtle, more subtle than Doug Jones was a decade ago when he got into it with the fans. But what a classless way to handle himself. It was one comment, for crying out loud. I'm sure it's frustrating to fail with runners in scoring position, but you can't get rabbit ears out there.

For a guy who has talked before about "playing the game the right way" (a way that must involve swinging at every first pitch), he sure didn't seem to care about carrying himself the right way.

Oh no. It sounds like Jay took a lesson from Albert Belle. He flipped a double bird to the right field stands a few years ago. Jay is about 25 bombs short of Prince Albert though.

yes the finger isnt cool ,but why would a fan of the O's yell something like that? Did the man try to make a out? Did he not hustle? no to both.

I was told by a fan, famous one at that who passed a year ago (Hagy) never boo your team unless they dont run a ball out or dont hustle. I always remember that and wish other fans would too. These guys make alot of money, but they try and want to win and do well, whats wrong with that?

Regardless of the middle finger... I am just ready for Payton to not be an Oriole any more.

That's a good point. I can't remember the last player we had that I was so ready to part with. I'd be as happy with the news as I was with the Bedard trade.

Even assuming everything in the OP is exactly true, I really can't muster any righteous indignation about this.

Baseball needs more players behaving like actual human beings rather than corporate PC robots IMO.

Even assuming everything in the OP is exactly true, I really can't muster any righteous indignation about this.

Baseball needs more players behaving like actual human beings rather than corporate PC robots IMO.

Yeah, I hardly get fired up about things like this. I'm not a huge Payton fan, but I figure...hey, at least he's hitting LHPs. Right?

I agree. He's a human being, if you walked up to Jay Payton on the street and made a snide comment to his face, you'd probably get more than just a finger.

Archived