Rays Closer stung by Royals...

Fan4Life

I don't mean to pick on you, Fan4Life, but I dread these threads as the deadline approaches. I don't think one inning of one game will change anyone's mind about anything or get anyone to do much more than they would have done anyway. Wheeler has been the Rays best arm all year, and is only their closer on odd days (with Balfour the other guy) while Percy heals. Of course Perceival is like 70 years old, and so who knows how well he will heal. So the Rays are indeed actively seeking a BP arm, and in fact Fuentes would be there by now if COL was ready to accept Davis in return. I just don't think one bad inning by any player is going to influence a decision maker any more than one bad AB is going to make a GM think they have to go get a new fielder.

That's odd.

Not two hours ago I saw someone wearing an authentic Dan Wheeler Astros jersey in the parking lot of a 7-11.

I thought to myself "Who the hell would buy a Dan Wheeler authentic?...besides his family, of course."

Interesting...I have seen someone wearing a Dan Wheeler jersey before and thought the same thing.

I don't mean to pick on you, Fan4Life, but I dread these threads as the deadline approaches. I don't think one inning of one game will change anyone's mind about anything or get anyone to do much more than they would have done anyway. Wheeler has been the Rays best arm all year, and is only their closer on odd days (with Balfour the other guy) while Percy heals. Of course Perceival is like 70 years old, and so who knows how well he will heal. So the Rays are indeed actively seeking a BP arm, and in fact Fuentes would be there by now if COL was ready to accept Davis in return. I just don't think one bad inning by any player is going to influence a decision maker any more than one bad AB is going to make a GM think they have to go get a new fielder.

Were you aware that it had been noted I think on MLBTR.com that the Rays had expressed interest in Sherrill? Gotta think they were already concerned about that situation and then to blow a game in extra innings as well as the Redsox gaining a game "could" emphasize what they already had concerns about.

Were you aware that it had been noted I think on MLBTR.com that the Rays had expressed interest in Sherrill? Gotta think they were already concerned about that situation and then to blow a game in extra innings as well as the Redsox gaining a game "could" emphasize what they already had concerns about.

Sure I am aware. And I do think they trade for a reliever. I just don't think a bad 20 pitch outing from a guy who has been their best reliever all year is going to change much.

Fuentes and Marte are their main targets right now. Sherrill is a back up plan. My point is that, IMO, seeing one of those guys move elsewhere or seeing a newspaper report saying COL or PIT are asking for the moon would be much more significant in terms of amplifying interest in Sherrill than one guy's bad day.

Sure I am aware. And I do think they trade for a reliever. I just don't think a bad 20 pitch outing from a guy who has been their best reliever all year is going to change much.

Fuentes and Marte are their main targets right now. Sherrill is a back up plan. My point is that, IMO, seeing one of those guys move elsewhere or seeing a newspaper report saying COL or PIT are asking for the moon would be much more significant in terms of amplifying interest in Sherrill than one guy's bad day.

Agreed. Perhaps I should have phrased more like...

the Rays interest in adding a reliever has probably been enhanced and thus any guy on their radar would likely have increased interest level.

Agreed. Perhaps I should have phrased more like...

the Rays interest in adding a reliever has probably been enhanced and thus any guy on their radar would likely have increased interest level.

Yeah sorry if I overreacted. Below is more the comments that strike a nerve. It is just the time of the season where every pitch by every team within 10 of the wild card is over-analyzed, and one game is a trend.

Now if the Rays get smacked around today and tomorrow in the Bronx, then it might be time for them to #$%$ or get off the pot. I just think we will be disappointed with what they offer for Sherrill. I am sure Sherrill would help them. But can you honestly look me in the Internet and say Sherrill is enough of an upgrade over Wheeler to make it worthwhile to give up a top 10 prospect for him?

Is Rays magic fizzling?

Tampa Bay is definitely starting to show signs of withering. Their much hearlded young hitters and pitchers are suddenly suspect...perhaps faltering under the pressure and the daunting task of sustaining success.

Like the overachieving 2005 Orioles, the Rays blasting out of the gates with a fury that was totally unexpected. The big question: is a collapse for the Rays as inevitably predictable as it was for the Orioles? There is no doubt that the Red Sox are a vastly superior team, as are (arguably) the Yankees. So what are the odds that the Rays will be wearing Ciderella's slippers and going to The Ball at season's end?

Archived