Renato Nunez the likely Machado replacement

ISU94

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

That would be something.  A 3rd baseman that plays defense well and can hit acquired on a waiver claim.

It has happened at least two times, Turner and Bautista.  Not that I expect it, just saying.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Salazar was  never good defensively.   I don't think that outcome would be good for the O's.   They have to fix their defense if they want to get better.   If they do fix the defense it will  help the pitching.

I agree with your comments about defense.    I’m just being realistic about the range of likely outcomes.    An outcome like Oscar Salazar is probably in the top quartile of his possible outcomes.    He’s not magically going to become a good defender at 24.     But he might have a decent bat — not definitely, just maybe.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Salazar was  never good defensively.   I don't think that outcome would be good for the O's.   They have to fix their defense if they want to get better.   If they do fix the defense it will  help the pitching.

I think the O's can put together a good defensive outfield over the next few years with Mullins, McKenna, Diaz and Hays.   If they extend Schoop I think he can do well at 2B or may 3B.   Davis/Mancini could be good at 1B.   But he O's need upgrades at 3B/2B, SS and Catcher.

Salazar could make it work at a bunch of positions and was very adept at getting on base. If Nunez became that, I'd be all about it. He's a waiver claim. If he developed into a solid role player who mainly came off the bench, that's fine! It takes a full roster - not everyone has to be a regular or star.

2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Clearly he was rushing to make the throw to the plate. He could of gloved it easily if he had stayed within himself. He had plenty of time to throw out Martin. 

If he had gloved the ball, Beckham that is, then Martin does not go home. I don’t believe he had quite reached 3B yet as the ball rolled under Beckham’s glove. Was what it was. Nunez may actually be ok defensively, if he is perceptive and coachable. The double he hit had an exit velo of 111 mph. That is elite. Your find a place for guys that can do that.

Archived