Schoop, Gausman, and Bundy Trade Expectations

ISU94

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jonathan Schoop‘s time with the Orioles may be coming to an end, if recent trade rumors are any indication.  The second baseman tells The Athletic’s Dan Connolly(subscription required) that he hopes he can remain in Baltimore to become a building block for the O’s as they go through a rebuild.  That said, the team also didn’t engage in any extension talks with Schoop last winter in the wake of his strong 2017 season.  That move may have been prescient on the Orioles’ part, as Schoop suffered through a nightmarish first three months that saw him miss time with an oblique injury and post just a .587 OPS over 266 PA.  Though he has hit better in July, the Orioles would still be selling low on Schoop, so they could retain him for the rest of the season to see if he can rebuild any value in the second half.  Schoop has one remaining year of arbitration eligibility before hitting free agency after the 2019 campaign.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/quick-hits-altherr-schoop-santana-allen-miller.html

15 hours ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

I would work on Zack, Brad and Adam first. However I would listen on everyone and would jump on any trade that really helps us. 

Unfortunately at this time, it seems like working to deal Brach is a waste of time because the return is guaranteed to be minor league filler

Schoop, Gausman, and Bundy would all return a nice a haul. I'm talking the other team's #1 or #2 prospect type of haul. That said, I don't see the Orioles trading any of them. 

Schoop - Yes, Dozier's also apparently available, but Schoop's under contract for an extra year. I think it makes him the most appealing 2B on the marketing (if he is). 

Gausman - Short of deGrom being "officially" made available Gausman would be the best pitcher on the block. Sure there are pitchers with comparable stats (i.e., Happ), but other teams and scouts are enamored with Gausman's stuff. Someone would be willing to trade for what he might become as opposed to what he actually is. 

Bundy - Super cheap and under team control. 

Apparently Schoop has said recently that he wants to be a building block through the rebuild until the next winning teams. We should try to extend him to end this season or the off season and if we can't agree, then trade. But if we can get him on decent terms, I think that could be a good thing all the way around. I haven't watched much this year, but he's playing better lately and he's still young. Maybe he's regressed but I think he's got some good seasons in him. And if the rebuild doesn't work soon enough, if he's producing enough you can trade him later. 

If you get a real nice trade offer on him now, maybe you swing it. But I see no reason to sell low. He could be an asset for us in the future at the right deal. 

Brendan Rodgers (clap clap clap clap clap)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Rockies are scouting Orioles' right-handers Kevin Gausman and Dylan Bundy.

Rosenthal adds that while the Rockies are looking at starters and relievers from other clubs, they have longstanding interest in Gausman, who is a Colorado native. The Orioles are weighing all sorts of trade scenarios right now, as Roch Kubatko of MASN reported Sunday that the Brewers, Yankees, and Braves have all asked about Gausman. Meanwhile, the Braves are also reportedly among the teams interested in Bundy. Gausman is under team control through 2020 while Bundy won't be a free agent until after 2021.
Related: Rockies, Dylan Bundy

Jul 23 - 9:37 AM

I really might be in the minority here, but I feel pretty strongly that we should try to extend some of our young guys at a mutually agreeable price if they want to stick around. The good thing for us with Gausman, Schoop and Bundy is that they are all having down-ish years (or at the very least haven't quite developed into stars, although still useful players). We could try to pay them the value in between their current production and what they've either shown in the past or could develop into. Our payroll is going to take a nosedive anyway.. 

They may reject it outright and bet on themselves, but at least we kicked the tires. I personally would like to see this done first. Pitchers aren't easy to develop and we could get Gausman and Bundy extended a couple years beyond arbitration and sign Schoop an extra 5 years or so. This would be my preferred option at this point. These guys are still young and could certainly be around for the next winning team. And we may even get it at a reasonable enough price. 

1 hour ago, Flacco Machado said:

Gausman/Bundy and Britton for a deal involving Brendan Rodgers, as the centerpiece, would be glorious!

I came here to mention Rodgers, you beat me to it. That would be awesome, especially considering the void of talent at SS throughout this organization. I don't think I'd package any two or more O's players in talks for him though. 

If they balked on Rodgers, I wouldn't be upset with Colton Welker as a centerpiece.

With his advanced pitch-recognition skills and feel for the barrel, Welker rarely gets fooled and consistently makes hard contact. Once he adds some needed strength, the bat speed and leverage in his right-handed stroke could generate 20-homer power. He's a below-average runner with decent instincts on the bases.

Multiple Rockies officials have noted that Welker reminds them of a young Nolan Arenado because they have similar builds and put up similar numbers in their first two years of pro ball. While Arenado has made himself into an elite defender at third base, Welker still is learning the position after playing shortstop in high school. He has the hands and arm strength to be an asset defensively.

- MLB.com

Archived