Machado comments after trade

jrobb21613

52 minutes ago, atomic said:

Sounds like DD and Buck were not agreeing on things.  When people tell me Angelo's sons are different,  I see Buck mismanaging the team with no consequences and I know the leaves didn't fall too far from the tree. 

I agree.

As much as Iove Buck for getting the most out of our guys when he came on.... this is HIS pattern.  I don't want to disparage him, don't get me wrong, but certain expertise expends itself.  I'd love to see him as an evaluater in the minors.

edit.... but I think the Angeloses have their culpability too.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot stems from the Bluejays and DD deal that didn’t happen. I believe Angeleos held a resentment against DD handcuffed him gave Buck and Brady more power over front office decisions and there was a lack of accountability and structure inside the organization, to many hands in the cookie jar. I hope with the sons now in control they will allow the guys they hire and trust in them to do there job and not meddle. If so I hope they retain DD and would be ok with Buck staying on board as long as he knows his job is managing the club he’s given in the field and he has nothing to do with the front office. Still that being said I really think it’s time for Buck to go.

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well Manny is going to say things that most likely relate to him. The biggest thing to impact him was the Chris Davis contact and we all know that was a Brady/Buck/AJ thing and not really DD. If we don’t give that contract then we could’ve had a better shot to sign Manny. 

He is also very tight with Nelson Cruz. Which ultimately led to the Davis contract.

Just now, jrobb21613 said:

I think a lot stems from the Bluejays and DD deal that didn’t happen. I believe Angeleos held a resentment against DD handcuffed him gave Buck and Brady more power over front office decisions and there was a lack of accountability and structure inside the organization, to many hands in the cookie jar. I hope with the sons now in control they will allow the guys they hire and trust in them to do there job and not meddle. If so I hope they retain DD and would be ok with Buck staying on board as long as he knows his job is managing the club he’s given in the field and he has nothing to do with the front office. Still that being said I really think it’s time for Buck to go.

...I don't know it's time for Buck to go.  I think, in the words of the Rock, he needs to know his role.  Buck would be hard to replace.  I don't disagree him going... if they find the right manager.  He turned the fielded team around, no doubt.

No big thing The Orioles have gotten better but was known as a joke of an organization for years. Lost their AAA team in Rochester after many years because of mismanagement. Was suppossed to move to Harrisburg but Angelos messed that up and ended up in Ottawa  The worst AAA place in the majors.Worst Spring Training facility for years. Weights were in a parking lot with a tarp put over it that leaked.Teams woukd not play on the minor league Spring Training field because it was so bad. Each level taught the players a different way to play the game.Has gotten better but still needs work.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well Manny is going to say things that most likely relate to him. The biggest thing to impact him was the Chris Davis contact and we all know that was a Brady/Buck/AJ thing and not really DD. If we don’t give that contract then we could’ve had a better shot to sign Manny. 

I don't personally believe the Orioles would give Manny the $300 mil contract even if they let Davis go.  The narrative at the time was, "that wasn't Manny money, or any other FA money - it was special Chris Davis money".  It was likely a spending pardon given by Old Mr Angelos.  Everybody (except DD and his buddies) bought into the Crush Davis hype.

But now we have the transition to the next generation and lo, Davis' contract is having an effect on team spending.  It's a good time to rebuild so the Orioles can go cheap / focus on youth while the Davis contract... uh, percolates.  But no, still don't think anybody gets $300 mil, even Machado.

4 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

So you honestly think Peter would have allowed DD to trade Manny and Britton? I think the sons are better than their dad. I'm hoping John or DD fires Buck if he wants to come back. 

He let MacPhail trade Tejada, Bedard, Ramon Hernandez, etc.

3 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

...I don't know it's time for Buck to go.  I think, in the words of the Rock, he needs to know his role.  Buck would be hard to replace.  I don't disagree him going... if they find the right manager.  He turned the fielded team around, no doubt.

Managers aren’t to blame when the team gets its 30th win right before August 1st. 

23 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Managers aren’t to blame when the team gets its 30th win right before August 1st. 

The Reds were in much worse situation when they fired their manager.  And now they have 16 more wins than the Orioles.   

3 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Buck can be the chef, but he shouldn’t be buying the groceries.  

DD or whoever is in charge next year should have final say on all player transactions.  

Archived