Tuesday's (7/31/18) Trade Deadline

Greg Pappas

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

All the Pirate guys are playing tonight though so that maybe some indication it either not guys involved in rumors or they not that close.

I only think their AAA affiliate is playing. Everyone else is off.

Kevin Newman is playing in that game.

2 hours ago, weams said:

Not on a claim. On a trade. Only on a trade.  5/10 does not keep a claim away. 

Are you sure?   I believe you’re wrong.    The whole point is that 10 and 5’s can’t be moved without their consent.    Shouldn’t mattter if it’s a trade or a claim.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Are you sure?   I believe you’re wrong.    The whole point is that 10 and 5’s can’t be moved without their consent.    Shouldn’t mattter if it’s a trade or a claim.  

I am all but positive I'm right. They can be claimed. Just not traded. 

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Everything I've read about 10/5 players is that they have no-trade protection, but waiver claims that are not pulled back are permitted.  If the Orioles were to seek a trade with the claiming team, then they would need Jones' consent.  But they could just give him up with nothing in return, if they so desired, and Jones couldn't do anything about it.

That said, it's kind of a jerk thing to do, in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, weams said:

“Furthermore, a club may not request outright waivers on a player with a complete no-trade clause or on a player ten-and-five rights (10 years of ML service, the last 5 with his current team). The player can, however, waive those rights and accept the trade if it is to his liking. So for instance, the Rockies could only trade Todd Helton were he to accept the trade.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.purplerow.com/platform/amp/2009/2/19/762532/mlb-transactions-part-thre

2 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

“Furthermore, a club may not request outright waivers on a player with a complete no-trade clause or on a player ten-and-five rights (10 years of ML service, the last 5 with his current team). The player can, however, waive those rights and accept the trade if it is to his liking. So for instance, the Rockies could only trade Todd Helton were he to accept the trade.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.purplerow.com/platform/amp/2009/2/19/762532/mlb-transactions-part-thre

I am pretty sure that is outdated. 

1 minute ago, jrobb21613 said:

This would be revocable waivers, rather than outright waivers.  It seems like AJ would probably still be able to refuse it, but does anyone know doe sure?

18 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Everything I've read about 10/5 players is that they have no-trade protection, but waiver claims that are not pulled back are permitted.  If the Orioles were to seek a trade with the claiming team, then they would need Jones' consent.  But they could just give him up with nothing in return, if they so desired, and Jones couldn't do anything about it.

That said, it's kind of a d*** thing to do, in my opinion.

Please no asterisks.  And I agree. But If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time. 

18 minutes ago, weams said:

Having looked at the CBA and Rules, you may be right.   The rule says the contract of a 10-and-5 player is not “assignable” without consent.   Query whether transferring a waived player’s contract after a claim is an “assignment.”    Can you think of an example of a 10-and-5 guy who was claimed on waivers and changed teams without his consent?

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Having looked at the CBA and Rules, you may be right.   The rule says the contract of a 10-and-5 player is not “assignable” without consent.   Query whether transferring a waived player’s contract after a claim is an “assignment.”    Can you think of an example of a 10-and-5 guy who was claimed on waivers and changed teams without his consent?

Nope. In most cases, I can't see it being beneficial to any party. I think this is a very odd one. All the players on MLB Network think he is nuts not to want to be in a pennant race. There must be something more here. And it may well be the attempt to end run Duquette. Smart family advice on these matters I'm sure. 

19 minutes ago, Flacco Machado said:

Ok. Thanks. I missed that one. Well, Hayes and Hearn are off for the Altoona Curve, right?

Yes 

I am getting intrigued on he has grown to 6”6 and still plays SS for the Power and it’s believe he has the chance to actually stay their.

Archived