Trade Cabrera after his next dominant start

broberts

If the Orioles are smart, they are telling Cabrerra...."dont worry about anything, just keep pitching the way you like. Dont worry about your stats, dont worry about being traded. Continue to gain confidence in your pitches....the results will come"

There is no way on earth this guy will not get better all the time. He started pitching late in life and he has a hard head. But he will mature. And he stays healthy for the most part. I would not worry about him at all right now. Lock him up for many years and let him do his thing. I have faith that this guy is a big part of our future.

Finally, did anyone hear the Whitesox announcer tonight? They said when he is on he has Nintendo type stuff. No way you EVER give up on someone like this

Wow, with his control issues, I'm surprised you're that confident. I wish I could share your optimism,

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, with his control issues, I'm surprised you're that confident. I wish I could share your optimism,

Those will come with maturity. He is still young. I see a strong second half for him.

What I like most this year is that he has regained his composure in games he was pitching bad. One step at a time.

If the Orioles are smart, they are telling Cabrerra...."dont worry about anything, just keep pitching the way you like. Dont worry about your stats, dont worry about being traded. Continue to gain confidence in your pitches....the results will come"

There is no way on earth this guy will not get better all the time. He started pitching late in life and he has a hard head. But he will mature. And he stays healthy for the most part. I would not worry about him at all right now. Lock him up for many years and let him do his thing. I have faith that this guy is a big part of our future.

Finally, did anyone hear the Whitesox announcer tonight? They said when he is on he has Nintendo type stuff. No way you EVER give up on someone like this

I wish Drungo would come in here and post all the people like Daniel Cabrera who never amounted to anything. I'm sure he's got that list saved for quick access by now.

I highlighted one part up there to disagree with specifically. You claim there is no way he wont get better, but that's exactly what's happened in his four years in the major leagues. His strikeouts are down. His walks, after spiking upwards last year, are back down to his usual levels. He's started giving up lots of home runs (16 now on the season, more than he's ever allowed, and in fewer innings).

The guy's not going anywhere. He's sitting there, remaining a pitcher with ace potential but mediocre results. If he was making SLIGHT steps towards improving, I'd be inclined to want to lock him up. But he's not. He's been downright bad this year.

If we don't trade him, he should stay in the rotation. If they decide to give Penn another shot in the bigs this year, he should take Daniel's spot in the rotation unless Daniel shows serious improvements. We've got enough young guys who are pitching well that we shouldn't continue to waste a spot in the rotation on a guy who's not getting better.

What I like most this year is that he has regained his composure in games he was pitching bad. One step at a time.

This I'll give you. This is the third start I can recall where he's come back strong after a very rough first few innings. In the end, though, we're still down by four runs in the 7th.

I have no idea what to make of Cabrera. What's up with his velocity this year? He rarely seems to get above 95 this whole year. He seems to be taking some off to try to throw strikes. If he's still going to walk people, I'd rather him do it throwing 98 than 93.

He has been in the majors for four years now. It's not like he's some rookie. He's a 4th/5th starter who has never had an ERA below league average and who constantly struggles with his control. He can't field. He can't hold runners on base. He beats himself far too often. I wouldn't give him away, but if I can trade him for something we need more (offense) I do it.

He isn't going to have any success whatsoever until he gains some control over where the ball is going. I'm sitting here tonight literally expecting balls, and if I am on my couch, well what must the Sox be thinking? His control is much better this year, but his velocity, which the argument could be made was his biggest strength, has diminished to the point of being a non-factor. According to the SOX gun, Vasquez is throwing just as hard as Cabrera tonight, and Bedard was harder last night. While I realize that velocity isn't everything, it is something, and that something is magnified if missing when you can't hit the broad side of a barn...

It's all in his head at the moment, and at this point he either gets it or you send his tail to Norfolk and let him figure it out down there. I don't trade him...yet.

I wish Drungo would come in here and post all the people like Daniel Cabrera who never amounted to anything. I'm sure he's got that list saved for quick access by now.

I highlighted one part up there to disagree with specifically. You claim there is no way he wont get better, but that's exactly what's happened in his four years in the major leagues. His strikeouts are down. His walks, after spiking upwards last year, are back down to his usual levels. He's started giving up lots of home runs (16 now on the season, more than he's ever allowed, and in fewer innings).

The guy's not going anywhere. He's sitting there, remaining a pitcher with ace potential but mediocre results. If he was making SLIGHT steps towards improving, I'd be inclined to want to lock him up. But he's not. He's been downright bad this year.

If we don't trade him, he should stay in the rotation. If they decide to give Penn another shot in the bigs this year, he should take Daniel's spot in the rotation unless Daniel shows serious improvements. We've got enough young guys who are pitching well that we shouldn't continue to waste a spot in the rotation on a guy who's not getting better.

Drungo is a numbers guy. Could he have predicted Kenny Rogers to do what he did recently? Numbers are overrated in my book so dont throw the Drungo thing at me. This guy has the stuff. Stuff is important. Sometimes it takes longer to get realized.

He has been in the majors for four years now. It's not like he's some rookie. He's a 4th/5th starter who has never had an ERA below league average and who constantly struggles with his control. He can't field. He can't hold runners on base. He beats himself far too often. I wouldn't give him away, but if I can trade him for something we need more (offense) I do it.

4 years is NOTHING. He may have 15 more. And its not 4 full years is it?

He's also 26 years old this year. That's not old, but it's not 23 either.

Look, I would love for him to put it together. I would just rather let someone else take that risk if we can get anything closer to a sure thing. Which I don't think we can at this point. But why not find out?

Drungo is a numbers guy. Could he have predicted Kenny Rogers to do what he did recently? Numbers are overrated in my book so dont throw the Drungo thing at me. This guy has the stuff. Stuff is important. Sometimes it takes longer to get realized.

Drungo's numbers prove that, more often than not, guys like Daniel with incredible "stuff" fizzle out, as opposed to turning into Randy Johnson

According to baseball-reference Daniel Cabrera's statistics are most comparable to greats such as Kevin Foster, Claudio Vargas and Alan Benes. Whereas, through age 25 he is most comparable to Jason Schmidt, Jason Bere and Gil Meche. In other words, at best he is a number 3 pitcher. The Randy Johnson comparisons HAVE GOT to go. Cabrera is much closer to Bobby Witt than Randy Johnson. Additionally, Cabrera's size and delivery make him a Tommy John surgery waiting to happen. He also doesn't seem teachable, nor knows or understands how to control a game. This organization is barren of position talent, and Cabrera should be traded ASAP for such. Teams are willing to overtrade for mediocre talent like Cabrera, and we should fleece someone, but not be too picky while we can.

James

Drungo's numbers prove that, more often than not, guys like Daniel with incredible "stuff" fizzle out, as opposed to turning into Randy Johnson

I think my dog can prove that as well. Chances are they usually dont. Baseball is a tough game...only 500 or so in the world can play at this level.

But sometimes you need to just wait out someone with this much talent.

One dominant start isn't gonna all of a sudden raise his trade value. He's still gonna be the same spotty pitcher he's always been. I'm pretty convinced now he'll always tease with his talent but never reach his full potential.

Get rid of him.

I agree about the Randy Johnson comparisons, they mean absolutely nothing. Always have, always will.

Archived