Trade Cabrera after his next dominant start

broberts

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll have to agree with you

one of the things people don't seem to pay any attention to is the fact that he STARTED playing baseball at 17, hes gonna keep growing.

above all i don't see why people are trying to trade him, he's not the one holding this team back.

He'll be 27 next year. While he could put it together at age 27, 28, I'd be much more comfortable getting something closer to a sure thing than hoping he may finally 'get it' as he approaches 30 years old. He started playing at age 17, but that doesn't change how old he is or what his contract status will be in a few years.

Cabrera gives up 5 runs....we only score 1 run.

To win the game he has to throw a shutout....or we have to score 6 runs.

So who is really to blame for the loss?

I say it's our offense.

Yes, but for one bad pitch we lose this game 2-1.

Cabrera gives up 5 runs....we only score 1 run.

To win the game he has to throw a shutout....or we have to score 6 runs.

So who is really to blame for the loss?

I say it's our offense.

You could argue that it was the offense tonight. But I still think it was on Cabrera. If Cabrera had kept the game close, say like 2-1 or 3-1, then it gives the hitters more confidence to come back in the ball game. The hitters do have to score more, I do agree with that.

And its not like this is his only start like this. He has had many games where he has given the lead early on home runs. And its not like its 1 run, its multiple runs where the offense has to come from behind early in the ballgame.

Yes, but for one bad pitch we lose this game 2-1.

True....and last night Bedard threw 3 bad pitches (6 runs)....but we scored 7 and won the game. A little offense tonight and we have the same result.

The simple fact is that tonight Vasquez out-pitched Cabrera. Things like that happen in baseball....it's a sport where perfection is a rare occurance.

You could argue that it was the offense tonight. But I still think it was on Cabrera. If Cabrera had kept the game close, say like 2-1 or 3-1, then it gives the hitters more confidence to come back in the ball game. The hitters do have to score more, I do agree with that.

And its not like this is his only start like this. He has had many games where he has given the lead early on home runs. And its not like its 1 run, its multiple runs where the offense has to come from behind early in the ballgame.

It seems to me the key is his change. Hitters are going deep in the count and sitting on the 93-96 fast ball. If he would throw the change they couldn't do that. He will never have pinpoint control. I would like to see if he will become desperate enough to start throwing the change.

It seems to me the key is his change. Hitters are going deep in the count and sitting on the 93-96 fast ball. If he would throw the change they couldn't do that. He will never have pinpoint control. I would like to see if he will become desperate enough to start throwing the change.

I agree 100%. The command isnt there so he gets into full counts where he has to throw a strike. The hitters know the fastball is coming and they hit it for a homer. If he had the change then they would atleast have to guess between a change and a fastball. And then after that the hitters will start chasing the curve ball.

If he has 13 or 14 wins this year, is he really regressing?

I really couldn't think of a more worthless way to judge pitchers than by wins and loses. So many factors effect those stats and alot of the times it has nothing to do with the pitcher. Case in point, Guthrie's no decisions this year.

I'm much more concerned by his strike out totals, home run rate and walks.

If he has 13 or 14 wins this year, is he really regressing?

If he somehow magically scraps out 13-14 wins pitching the way

he did tonight (he has been bailed out 2-3 times for wins on

unusually strong offensive nights) then the answer is a resounding

YES.

He is unwilling to make changes of any substantial value (throwing

a change up), he falls apart the first time he misses a call by the

home plate ump, and he can't throw a first pitch strike to save his

own ass. Regression.

Elliot

Prior for Cabrera.

An injury questionmark for a will-he-ever-figure-this-@$%*-out questionmark.

Maybe time with Leo would bring out the real Mark Prior.

I'd rather see Leo get a chance to work with the young pitchers

we have coming up than with a project like Prior. If we trade Cabrera

it almost has to be for a bat.

Elliot

I'd rather see Leo get a chance to work with the young pitchers

we have coming up than with a project like Prior. If we trade Cabrera

it almost has to be for a bat.

Elliot

Exactly. We have Olson coming up and he may be ready to assume a spot in the rotation. Behind him, Beato and Erbe look sharp.

I look at our lineup and cringe. Gibbons? Payton? Patterson?

We need a bat. More likely, several, in order to field a competitve big league team.

Archived