DD is not under contract next year and

atomic

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I didn't want to resign Markakis, but I would have changed my tune if I knew right field would be a mess for four years.  Four years and still haven't found Nick's replacement. 

Also Buck didn't like the move to begin with and Snider ended up in the doghouse. 

Looked it up and Snider is now playing for the Long Island Ducks in an Independent league with ex-Orioles Lew Ford and Jair Jurrjens as teammates. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I'd be ecstatic to have Duquette stay. I will admit, I was ready to run him out of town after the Toronto debacle. But the more that comes out about his hands being tied by Angelos And possible back-stabbing by Buck and Brady...who wouldn't want to jettison from that situation. I think Dan is a very smart man, and he was one of the first to use analytics.  I don't think baseball has passed him by. I just think it's caught up.

He's proven he can build a team without a payroll and he's proven what he can do with international talent. He's also proven he can win if you give him a budget and control over player acquisitions.  I'd like to finally see what he can do in Baltimore if allowed to run this thing his way.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

His contract is up.  I don’t know whether DD will be here or not, but the club is going in the direction of younger Management. I can tell you that.

DD is not under contract next year and I think it is time for the club to rebuild with a younger GM.  We are going a new direction so get rid of the guys who have had the game pass them by.  Get a young GM from an Ivy League school who knows stats and get rid of Buck and DD.  

Really DD screwed up on letting Markakis go.  Time to let him go.  

Ageist horse manure. You really need to start watching better television and cut back on the sports talk radio. The toxicity can come on in a hurry you know. One minute you’re minding your own business and the next you’re making an ass out of yourself in public. 

Heres a radical notion. It’s not about age or color or gender or any of those things lazy intellects rely on as a substitute for actual thought. Maybe it’s about the vision and the ability to pull it off. 

When @Tony-OH posted his article about the inner workings (Game of Thrones: Warehouse Edition), it was a curious read.

Not because it was new information that confirmed rumblings, but the timing of it. It got picked up (and bastardized) by others who started to do more than leak out that things were going bad.

The timing was strange. The team had no direction, no fire. Then that gets posted and a month and a half/2 months later, there are significant changes.

Talks about an actual rebuild. Saving International Money instead of using it to acquire a guy to DFA a week later. Cutting dead weight (Tillman.) Playing new guys (Fry, Meisinger, Hess, Wynns, Wilkerson, Nunez) and pretty much auditioning them for the future.

If this is how Dan operates when given a chance, let him stay. What we saw the past few seasons may have been Dan being in time out.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

Ageist horse manure. You really need to start watching better television and cut back on the sports talk radio. The toxicity can come on in a hurry you know. One minute you’re minding your own business and the next you’re making an ass out of yourself in public. 

Heres a radical notion. It’s not about age or color or gender or any of those things lazy intellects rely on as a substitute for actual thought. Maybe it’s about the vision and the ability to pull it off

I just posted what DD said about Adam Jones but changed it.  I really couldn't care less how old DD is. 

Dan has a good track record as a GM prior to coming here. For all his unsuccessful moves he has still been the most effective GM under PA. I'd like to see what he can do if the constraints are lifted, as they seem to be. Much better to have him hit the ground running in the off season than to go through a month of interviews and another month of acclimation for a new GM who may not be nearly as good. And BTW Amherst may not be officially Ivy League but you have to be snart to go there..

10 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't care what his WAR was. A 3 HR outfielder is unplayable. And if WAR doesn't reflect that then it's a flawed metric. I'm also not convinced that Duquette was the man behind the Davis and Trumbo signings. Especially Davis. That signing reeks of Buck, Peter, and Brady. 

Home runs are not the be all and end all.    Markakis had a .296 BA and .370 OBP that season.   I’m not going to say he had a great offensive season, but it was respectable.  He was coming off neck surgery, didn’t work out all winter and only started playing about midway through spring training, and yet when the bell rang he played 156 games that season.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the decision to let Nick go was defensible.   I just wouldn’t make too big a deal out of the three homers, when Nick was getting on base at a clip far higher than Orioles outfielders were.   

It was a close call for me up until what appears to be recent change in who is actually going to be the acting owner going forward.  If it was srill the old man, I was in favor of change because I think Dan irreparably damaged his relationship with the old man by dallying with Toronto and that this was never going to be any better given the old man’s grudge holding.  I think Brady then was elevated in the old man’s way of doing business after Dan played footsie with Toronto and the old man just effectively stopped listening to Dan on big choices, like Davis and Trumbo.

AND..while I think Dan did very good work prior to the offseason after the championship season of 2014, I believe his work that offseason was as bad as any GM we have ever had....failing to improve that offseason was a historic fail that I will blame Dan’s dalliance with Toronto on forever.  His signings of Ubaldo, Gallardo, failure to extend Markakis and Cruz OR replace them with anybody after the 2014 season,  trades for Travis Snider, trading Zach Davies, release of Miguel Gonzalez were also choices that did not help us at all and  I believe had nothing to do with the old man interfering.  Also, until the last few weeks, I have had lingering concerns as to whether Dan truly has a passion for the Orioles or always has viewed it as a steppingstone to another better gig. 

Having said all that, I was always a big fan of Dan’s work at Montreal and Boston and have really been as encouraged as I have been in years by the obvious turnover of the ownership reins by the old man to the sons and by Dan’s obvious reenergized stance.   I have been VERY impressed with the deadline work he has done and the turn to international market signings. 

Given these turns of events, , I am now really strongly in favor of giving Dan a new deal, maybe even letting him be like Andy Macphail in Philly.  Let Dan hire his own Matt Klentak and letting Dan have full bore control over the rebuild.  Completely up to Dan about Buck and Brady (whose role needs to be much reduced if he stays and, if I were Dan, I would make clear to Brady that you report to me, not ownership...if Buck stays, same deal...no direct line to ownership anymore).

10 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You mean WAR "overrates" him. 

And the difference between Markakis and a traditional lead off hitter like Henderson is that his speed allowed him to turn most of those singles into doubles. And Henderson might have been crazy, but Markakis isn't half the player that he was. 

WAR doesn't overrate him. He used oWAR, which is a metric that should almost never be used because the context is always incorrect, for a reason. Actual WAR didn't support the narrative until this year. No doubt Nick has been very good this year, but he was below average each of the first 3 seasons in Atlanta. I'll never understand the constant hand-wringing over that decision.

8 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

WAR doesn't overrate him. He used oWAR, which is a metric that should almost never be used because the context is always incorrect, for a reason. Actual WAR didn't support the narrative until this year. No doubt Nick has been very good this year, but he was below average each of the first 3 seasons in Atlanta. I'll never understand the constant hand-wringing over that decision.

It’s because Nick was a popular player here and for the most part has outplayed whoever the Orioles used in RF, even if Nick himself wasn’t all that great.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s because Nick was a popular player here and for the most part has outplayed whoever the Orioles used in RF, even if Nick himself wasn’t all that great.

Sure, replacing a 1.5 win player shouldn't be hard but the Orioles made it hard. However, those are issues that should be evaluated separately.

I would bring DD back for the simple reason that a good baseball person is not going to work for the Orioles until it is demonstrated that they can run the team without interference from hands on/off again mgmt., Brady, Buck, etc.  Too many past GM's have been told they have control by the Angelos family and have found out differently.  Maybe the sons will be better, maybe not.  If you are a good baseball person, why take the chance. 

4 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

I would bring DD back for the simple reason that a good baseball person is not going to work for the Orioles until it is demonstrated that they can run the team without interference from hands on/off again mgmt., Brady, Buck, etc.  Too many past GM's have been told they have control by the Angelos family and have found out differently.  Maybe the sons will be better, maybe not.  If you are a good baseball person, why take the chance. 

This has been something I've been thinking as well.   If it appears the new ownership is going to be more "hands-off" and allow DD (assuming he is back) to run the club the way he sees fit, it would be an ideal time to get a young person working with him and "learning the ropes".   

Archived