Rule 5 draft and players to protect

terpfan101

Can't wait for tomorrow to pass as I've been spending way too much time on here these past few weeks...anyway I saw this post about the minor league players that the O's would need to protect from the Rule 5 draft next year and some of them I wasn't familiar with...this led me to thinking, this is a lot of guys, who will the team protect by adding to the 40 man roster. Accordingly, who's on the 40 man roster now that will need to go to make room and will they also need to be exposed?

From my quick review here are my thoughts, would love to hear other's takes:

No brainer will be on 40 man roster next year:

• Dillon Tate - centerpiece of recent Britton trade, there's no way he's being left off the 40 man.
  • Cedric Mullins - Good start to the season at Bowie but hitting has fallen off (to be expected) in Norfolk. Ranked highly in O's top prospect lists, he'll be starting CF next year it seems.
  • DJ Stewart - former 1st round pick (wish the team had selected either Taylor WardMike Soroka, or Christin Stewart instead as all taken in next 10 picks the other Stewart having performed much better than ours both similar players otherwise). As a former 1st round pick and that he's in our top 30 prospects, he'll be protected and I expect will play some next year for the O's.
  • Cody Carroll - Recently acquired and rumored to be coming to the big leagues this week, he looks to be a great reliever and will definitely be on the team next year. Not sure if he'd be a callup mid 2019 to extend service time or not. Could he be a future Brad Brach 2014-2016 or better?
  • Luis Gonzalez - He's 26 years old. Failed as a starter to begin his career, but from 2016-2018 has been great as a reliever. Looks like he could be part of the bullpen next year. I'd expect to see him called up in September of this year as well.
  • John Means - Seems like he could be a #5 starter in the league, expect him to be on the team as I expect the team to trade one of Cashner/Bundy/Gausman before opening day 2019. 
  • Josh Rogers - Recently acquired for Britton, has been pretty solid in minors, including 7 innings with 0 runs in first Norfolk start, similar to Means, I expect him to get a crack at starting for the O's next year. Sounds like his ceiling is a #5 starter, reminds me of Brad Burgesen/Brian Burres/Mike Wright. Let's hope for better success than them.
  • Branden Kline - He's having a terrific season which is great after the long road to recovery from multiple injuries. Had solid years before injury as a starter but now a reliever which is what he'd be in MLB. From MD and had a lot of early promise, I expect him to get a September call up this year. Seems like he's in this camp, but maybe not?

Maybe:

• Wilson Garcia - newly acquired for cash in May, he's had a terrific and career year in Frederick with 19 HRs and an OPS of .923...he's 24 and never had a season nearly as good as this one. He plays catcher and we have a decent # of them, but with Sisco not living up to expectations, perhaps he could be a future catcher?
  • Jay Flaa - former 6th round pick in 2015, having a solid year in Bowie, after two good years before. Could be a decent guy for the bullpen and is strictly a reliever. At age 26, probably has hit his ceiling.
  • Mike Yastrzemski - If I recall he was in our top prospects lists years ago. Had a solid 2017 but has fallen off this year. Feels like he'd be claimed by another team, but not sure he has a place on the O's just yet and if he'll ever be anything more than a 4th outfielder.
  • Brian Gonzalez - Our top draft pick (3rd round) after losing top two for Ubaldo and Nelson Cruz signings, he's been a disappointment after a terrific start with the GCL Orioles in 2014 and a good season with Delmarva in 2016. Not sure how the team could keep him with so many others that seem to be better. This was a tough one though, as he's still so young and I'd imagine scouts think he has potential, could be in the next category instead.

Probably won't be protected:

• Ademar Rifaela - had a great year in Frederick last season with 24 HRs and an .858 OPS, but struggling this year at Bowie (4 HRs and .672 OPS). 23 years old and plays OF which we have a ton of. Seems like he'd go unclaimed.
  • Drew Dosch - 2013 7th round pick, has been consistently average with little power for his 3B position. Could maybe put him into the maybe bucket, but seems like his ceiling is a backup at best.
  • Reid Love - A great name, but don't think that makes up for his horrible 2018 in Bowie. Had a great season at Delmarva in 2016 as a starter but since used mostly in relief.  Had a tough time with him though as he could be in the maybe bucket, I just don't see how they will be able to protect so many players so feels like he's the odd one out. Will depend on how he finishes the year in Norfolk.
  • Randolph Gassaway - awesome last name, but hasn't shown much in six seasons with only 9 games at Bowie. Unlikely to be claimed IMO. 

Thoughts??

Right now I see 30 guys that would stay on the 40man rostefor next year unless they are moved in a trade.

1. Joseph 

2. Sisco

3. Wynns

4. Davis 

5. Mancini

6. Schoop

7. Beckham

8.  Nunez

9. Hays

10. Valera

11. Santander

12. Bundy

13. Gausman

14. Cahner

15. Cobb

16. Hess

17. Ramirez 

18. Castro 

19. Givens

20. ‘Day

21. Fry

22. Scott

23. Wright

24. Yacabonis

25. Hart

26. Harvey

27. Trumbo 

28. Richard 

29. Araujo 

30. Bleier 

There is not a ton of dead weight there then add those 8 guys and Mountcastle f he comes up this year.

23 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Right now I see 30 guys that would stay on the 40man rostefor next year unless they are moved in a trade.

1. Joseph 

2. Sisco

3. Wynns

4. Davis 

5. Mancini

6. Schoop

7. Beckham

8.  Nunez

9. Hays

10. Valera

11. Santander

12. Bundy

13. Gausman

14. Cahner

15. Cobb

16. Hess

17. Ramirez 

18. Castro 

19. Givens

20. ‘Day

21. Fry

22. Scott

23. Wright

24. Yacabonis

25. Hart

26. Harvey

27. Trumbo 

28. Richard 

29. Araujo 

30. Bleier 

There is not a ton of dead weight there then add those 8 guys and Mountcastle f he comes up this year.

I would add Wilkerson and Meisinger but I don't think Nunez makes it.  I doubt Mountcastle is called up this season.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I would add Wilkerson and Meisinger but I don't think Nunez makes it.  I doubt Mountcastle is called up this season.

I had Meisinger on my top 30 but then realized I left off Bleier.  I was deciding between Wilkerson and Nunez went Nunez because he younger.  Either way not a ton of space once you add those 8 guys

Archived