Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

You need to educate me because at first glance I don't get it.  I really don't get it.

Carmona is a serious upside guy a ways off. Which is what this team lacks. Ortiz is a nice young arm. 

Villar is a toss in, but he has had some terrific years prior. Could be a nice piece we can move later on. Not sure how much control left.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

That's baloney. Are you ever happy? 

Do you think the Braves actually wanted O'Day? He is injured and is getting paid 9 million this year and next.  We threw O'Day in and got lesser prospects.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You guys act like shedding payroll is a bad thing.  Especially on a broke down reliever.  

It's a horrible thing.  What do we need freed up payroll for next year???  To go out and buy that free agent that is going to allow us to make that run?

If EVERY team in baseball said, "Hey Orioles, I'm going to send you our bad contracts for the next two to three years.  But along with it, I'm going to give you top prospects," then we should take that deal.  Because we won't, and SHOULDN'T, be investing that money in anything intended to compete right away.  That's not what you do during rebuilds.  You invest the money in ways that allow for a prospect return. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Seems to me Gausman was a means to get Victor Victor. Have to look at him as part of deal in a way.  

They really shouldn't be related. We shouldn't be diminishing return on a player with 2+ years of control left. Getting salary relief is OK (re: O'Day) to sign Mesa, but it shouldn't have been factored into whether we got top prospects or middling prospects.

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

O'Day is owed $9M for next year, so yeah salary dump was one factor in the ATL trade.

Shouldn't have been. We just ate so much money in Manny, Schoop, and Gausman. Why did O'Day' $9M need to come off in the return for the package of players you received for trading the type of pitcher you should be looking for? How do you not get any of Atlanta's best pitchers? They have like 6 of them?

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

Carmona is a serious upside guy a ways off. Which is what this team lacks. Ortiz is a nice young arm. 

Villar is a toss in, but he has had some terrific years prior. Could be a nice piece we can move later on. Not sure how much control left.

This is about right, spot on. Don't underestimate Ortiz though, your FO needs to keep him motivated and keep his weight under control. If that happens he has easy mid-rotation upside.

Archived